FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battle of New Orleans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 3:34pm
I don't care if it was their fault, you should still have sympathy for the dead and their families.
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 3:40pm
No there are A LOT of military personel that work there. But there are more people that are civilians. And no, civilians with prior military cervice arent likely to work there as a janitor.

The US didnt have days to get people out. That was a regional issue, it has become a national issue.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

I don't care if it was their fault, you should still have sympathy for the dead and their families.

Why? I have sympathy they lost their houses and all, but if they died, thats their fault. If they couldnt get out, too old, imprisoned or whatever, then, i will have sympathy.
ArmySyko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArmySyko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 3:44pm
I didn't say that I didnt. Nor did I say I didn't feel for the servicemembers that are deployed overseas and having to try and deal with the situation over the phone or through Chaplains.  Don't assume that people don't sympathize when they have a problem with the system.
ArmySyko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArmySyko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 3:51pm

I do have a hard time feeling sorry for the guys that decided to jet-ski out on the Gulf when FoxNews got out there.  I also have a hard time being sorry for the dude that stood on Canal St. singing to the rain gods when CNN was a block away.  I do have sympathy for the 18yo that grabbed the abandoned school bus and drove 70 people to Houston.  He might get tried since he didn't have a license.
Ejp414 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ejp414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

Why? I have sympathy they lost their houses and all, but if they died, thats their fault. If they couldnt get out, too old, imprisoned or whatever, then, i will have sympathy.

You need to grow up. That's the bottom line.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:02pm
No i dont. I dont need to sympathise with stupidity, the bottom line is i have learned to be cold-hearted. If you stayed in the path of a huge huricane and died, thats completely on you.

Thats the bottom line.
Nickodemus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:14pm
I saw footage of cars in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway trying to leave as the hurricane hit. There were people trying to get out who didn't start evacuating in time, even if they did all try to leave they would have needed earlier warning for everyone to get out. The poor have it the worst because of their limited resources to deal with a crisis situation.
Think and give them all you have from the beginning, and never weaken!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:16pm
Two whole days to leave. More than enough time to get your ducks in a row and leave. If you procrastinated or stayed out of apathy or pride, thats completely your fault you died.
ArmySyko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArmySyko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:20pm
Two days?  They had four or more.  The Hurricane Prediction Center knew Katrina was moving into the Gulf and was going to turn north and hit somewhere between Alabama and eastern Texas.  I would have guessed New Orelans if I was a betting man and gotten out of town.

People have gone lax in the way they handle emergencies and disaster because of the way the media likes to overblow reports.  FoxNews was predicting a Cat 5+ hurricane.  I would have taken that to mean it was going to at least be a four.  Time to beat feet and get outta Dodge.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:24pm
Thats even worse.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:26pm
Gotta have sympathy for the ignorant... and those poor folks with no TV or radio to get that warning early enough for them to do anything about it. Who are mostly the people you see on TV now.  Hard to leave with no resources.

Edited by Nickodemus

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:29pm
Please. The only way you are going to not find out that there is a mother of a huricane comming towards your town is if you sit in the dark in the corner all day.

I refeuse to believe no one knew there was a huricane comming...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:33pm
You left off the important part... - In time for them to do anything about it. By the time they considered it threatening enough to leave it was too late. Look at the demoghraphic of people who were able to get out of dodge Vs those who didn't. Either way your picking on the poor or the ignorant. That's not enough to deserve to die.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:36pm
Quit putting words in my mouth. I never said they derserved to die. Its tough luck they died, but its their fault they died. They died because of their own action or in-action, wichever the case may be.
Betterdays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betterdays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:44pm
Everyone knew Katrina was coming, however there were a large number of people who couldn't do anything about it. There were no free rides out of the area and even if there had been, where would they go? If you can't afford a bus ticket...you probably cannot afford a motel when you get where ever it is you end up. To have no sympathy for those who were unable to get out of the way is childish.

With that said however, sympathy only goes so far. If you know you can't get out of the way you can at least do EVERYTHING you can possibly think of to be prepared for the worst. They knew what was coming. Camille is the benchmark for Gulf Hurricanes and 24hrs before landfall Katrina was a more intense storm than Camille...and about 3 times her size. Many people did not prepare... apparently at all, and that lends at least a little weight to Dbib's arguement.

Also as a side note, the area partially dodged a bullet. Katrina weakened to a mid sized CAT 4 when she hit and if the levees had not broken, after the storm, New Orleans would have been spared. This could have been a lot worse, which is something people had better think long and hard about before the next time.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickodemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 4:58pm
The majority of the victims didn't have a full deck to play with compared to what the rest of us who are sitting here useing technology are accustomed to. That is what you should have sympathy for, it was unecessary death, the people in the wrong place at the wrong time unable to deal with the situation properly. Fault is not a clear line without a full deck, and shouldn't sway your sympathy on innocent bumpkins. Now the shooters & rapist, that's a seperate issue.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 5:30pm
I wonder if I make another Darwin joke if I will be pounced on again? [}:)

Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 6:02pm
You do know that the claimed "Shooters and Rapists" are not as big as they make it to be.
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
TRC1040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRC1040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 9:04pm

Originally posted by bluemunky42 bluemunky42 wrote:

Originally posted by TRC1040 TRC1040 wrote:

You don't know what you are talking about oldsoldier, reread your first post. you jsut said that we should let hundreds of americans get killed by high security convicts. They are our brothers and sisters. And its oil refineries that were shut down so even if we did hav oil comming from Iraq we couldn't do anything with it cause we couldn't refine it. Another thing, you just said that we should rebuild the biggest american port we have. Whats up with you. you need to read the facts, and think about what you are saying. And we went to war for national security. Think about what might have happened if after 9/11 we were just like "ok well that sucks" what would have happened if we didn't go to war? Sure there might have been a little oil deal on the side.... Just think before you say stuff like that.

if you are saying that many forumers have relatives down there, well, yeah you're right.
if you are not, i beg to differ. i have not relation to anyone down there as of now.

No what I meant is that they are our fellow Americans, if you coulldnt find that out maybe you should be down there when it gets blowen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic