Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What ever happened to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Ejp414 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ejp414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Fat Stalin Fat Stalin wrote:

Oh. I don't watch to much of family guy. Well, ignore my last few posts. 

Well, what do you know. I was about to say something along the lines of "I don't think that's the next line of the theme song," but figured that your post was some Family Guy quote that I had never heard before.

Hm. Oh well.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 8:48pm
What is wrong with 2 hours of sex jokes? If you dont like it change the channel or pop open Milton Berle's Private Joke File : Over 10,000 of His Best Gags, Anecdotes, and One-Liners but to be honest I have read them all and was bored 97 percent of the time. I think some of society is tired of being censored and told what they can and cant joke about and crack jokes at things that were previously forbidden and tabboo to joke about.

I can respect that your a conservative and christian but there are tons of option in this day and age were within your finger tips, you can find entertainment to suit your needs.

I do wish the swear filter dodging on this forum would stop, not because I find the words offensive but it gives a greater chance for some people to expand their vocabulary.

Edited by Hades

reclusivetorrid View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Look at me, I came out of my hole!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reclusivetorrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 7:54am
I wasn't talking about censorship...You're right I can change the channel. It doesn't really offend me, it's just tiring because I don't find them funny. My whole original question was really trying to get to the subject of honor. The sexual humor doesn't offend me it degrades women. Where has the honor gone? I, personally try to live my life with respect to others.

Kids don't need to hear degrading remarks about women. And they don't need to hear degrading remarks about men. My generation seems to get it's jollies off of making others look and feel bad...and it's gotten worse. What is the ultimate outcome of degrading "humor" and foul language? What is the outcome of all the violence seen on tv (every show that is not a "reality" show seems to dwell on murder.)

What ever happened to the desire to teach our kids what is good. What happened to teaching kids to respect each other and their elders (granted I know that there isn't much to respect at times when talking about 'elders')?

I mean listen to these kids in here... Take a look at the stuff that they find 'funny'. Some of it is funny, most of it is dispicable.

I know that it sounds like I'm wining, but I'm only trying to make some of the people in here aware of what's going on.

Hades, me and you have been at odds before, but I still respect you very much. And (believe it or not) I listen (read in this case) to your statments.

I really hope that the people that decide to respond to this post READ the whole thing before responding.

Later

Edited by reclusivetorrid
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 9:59am

If we take degrading jokes about women as an example, my experience is that we have improved drastically over the last few decades.

While TV may have gotten more raunchy, the public acceptance of what is a kosher attitude about women has improved significantly.

The general view of women is much more egalitarian and fair now than at any point in the history of this nation.  Sandra Day O'Connor, upon graduating from Stanford law school in the early 70s was offered a job as a legal secretary.  That would never happen today.

No matter how much you disapprove of degrading jokes on TV or in rap music, I don't see how one can possibly claim that the treatment of women in American society has done anything other than improve drastically.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reclusivetorrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

While TV may have gotten more raunchy.

I think that I've caught you actually agreeing with me...

The attitude towards women has not really improved, but changed. I'll admit that in general it has changed for the better. However, my point wasn't simply to use women as a primary example. I only thought about that as an example of a degrading generation, because of some of the recent movies that have come out, and jokes that I've heard on tv.

I've got a friend that watches comedy central while the rest of us play WOW. I've just overheard some pretty bad stuff specifically reguarding women.

Reguardless, my entire point was to say that people of this generation seem incapable of feeling good about themselves unless they can put someone else down.

Clark...I am aware that my mere existence convicts you in many ways, and that you desire to try and bate me into a petty argument that doesn't matter.

You will not admit that I convict you by just being here and believing in things that you have sworn to hate... but deep down you know that my beliefs are right, and you are trying your hardest to deny it.

That's fine, I love you anyway. No matter what you say as a reply to this post will change that... I hope you at least read this.

Later
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 12:33pm
RT. I resect you as well. I wasnt trying to sound harsh or anything, it is just hard to nail tone through writing for me at least...

I used to not watch the Howard Stern show because I felt it degraded women. After a while I realised that the women, he was attacking were guests that chose to be on his show. In a way I now feel that they are inviting themselves be to ripped apart for some moments of fame or whatever they can glean off him.

I, personally, dont find jokes, bashings on other people to be offensive. I think it is healthy for people to learn to resolve conflict. I do find it is unforunate that there has to be a butt of a joke, but that is the way some humor works. I dont feel it is the fault of the comedian if jokes are taken for more than the lighthearted humor they are meant to be. Yes, unfortunately there are people out there that take jokes further than they should and apply them as philosophies of their lives, but overall I feel society can handle them in their proper context.

Now, I feel like I am rambling and have gotten lost as to what my point was. :)

I do agree that most of the time there isnt anything to watch on Tv. I spend lots of hours watching the Home and Garden Channel simply because nothing esle grabs me.

As for the kids, I think as long as their guardians instill proper manners and respect before TV takes over their lives, they will be okay. As for the members and the forum. For the most part the younger members are truely a great group of youth. Most of them continue to get good marks in school and hold jobs, all while spending time on the internet. The humor they enjoy is partly do to the phase in comedy that is currently popular and taboo subject and rivially is what is exciting at their age. Hence the popularity of shows like then Bevis and Butthead, and now SouthPark.

While I try to respect my fellow mankind, I dont have any qualms about pointing out differences. Heck, I would be happy to have made an impression on someone so much they would waste 20 seconds of their time to point out what they saw. To me that is flattering.

choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 1:13pm
Listen to Mitch Hedbergs last cd before he passed away. It is some of the funniest stuff I've heard, and it's not even risqué. There is some language, but it's not sexual. Seriously, listen to it.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 3:22pm

Originally posted by reclusivetorrid reclusivetorrid wrote:

I think that I've caught you actually agreeing with me...

This may shock you, but I often agree with you.

Quote However, my point wasn't simply to use women as a primary example. I only thought about that as an example of a degrading generation, because of some of the recent movies that have come out, and jokes that I've heard on tv.

I understood it that way, and I think women make a good example.  Which goes back to my original point - while the media has gotten raunchier, societal attitudes overall have, IMO, vastly improved over the last few decades.  We are, IMO, more inclusive, less rigid, more open-minded, more open to change and differences, and less stuck on tradition than ever before.  And, in my view, those are all good things.

Moreover, I don't view raunchy TV as degradation - I view it as improvement.  I am a regular viewer of Comedy Central.  In fact, it is my default channel.  It is also the host of the very best shows on television at the moment - South Park.  And South Park is the best show in large part specifically because it is raunchy and unafraid.  Do my eyes occasionally widen in minor shock during a SP episode?  Absolutely - and that is a GOOD thing.  Not just because of the improved entertainment value, but because SP forces me to continuously reevaluate my values and beliefs.  SP (and Howard Stern, and similar shows) will not let me be complacent and passive in my beliefs - they provide a challenge.  And challenges are good.

The fact that these shows are allowed to exist is further evidence of the improvement of US society.  Instead of putting our heads in the sand and pretending that these issues don't exist, and portraying some made-up world as reality (a la Leave it to Beaver), we now embrace shows that depict and address the actual challenges of society.

We have moved from "Gee, swell!" TV to "aw, crap" TV.  And that is a GOOD thing.

Quote Reguardless, my entire point was to say that people of this generation seem incapable of feeling good about themselves unless they can put someone else down.

I disagree completely with this point, at least to the extent that you are implying that there is more of this now than before.  In fact, in my view, there is LESS of this now than ever before.  In the US 40 years ago, our entire society was based around classes, whether they be based on race, gender or or socioeconomic status, and most people could take refuge in how they were "better" than group X.  I believe our current pro-egalitarian cultural movement has taken us further from that than ever before.  There certainly is plenty left, but I feel strongly that we are improving.

Quote Clark...I am aware that my mere existence convicts you in many ways, and that you desire to try and bate me into a petty argument that doesn't matter.

You will not admit that I convict you by just being here and believing in things that you have sworn to hate... but deep down you know that my beliefs are right, and you are trying your hardest to deny it.

I honestly don't know what you are talking about.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reclusivetorrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Quote Clark...I am aware that my mere existence convicts you in many ways, and that you desire to try and bate me into a petty argument that doesn't matter.

I honestly don't know what you are talking about.

Then don't worry about it...I assumed wrong.

Obviousely we're gonna has to agree to disagree on a few issues. But I'm glad to hear that you actually agree with me at times. I hope someday we meet on the field.

Edited by reclusivetorrid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic