Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Field Clean Flatline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brode30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brode30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Field Clean Flatline
    Posted: 21 July 2005 at 3:04pm

C98 flatline woodsball.  squeeze the trigger and have your heart stop when you see the paint spray.  As a new user of the flatline and the 45 mins at the range to get the thing to shoot straight, I could only think of unscrewing the adapter pinch to use my pull-through cleaner.

There has got to be a better way, please let me know.  I first thought of a straight shammy type squeege but have no where to store it on me when crawling in the woods, and you would have to insert into the end of the barrel and push paint into the gun.

Please let me know.

Custom 98 camo
flatline
the william View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the william Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 4:26pm
go to the closest paintball store and buy one that goes down the barrel and does not push paint into the gun they make them i have one.....
blackdog144 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 5:44pm
is it THAT hard to clean it out?

Brode30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brode30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 7:46pm

OK, well here is the deal, I am a moron when under pressure...

Tippmann includes a nice red and green pull through squeege thing that if you press the button to remove your hopper and elbow you can feed the string into the loading hole and all four discs on the squeege go right in... one good yank on the string and clean as a whistle...  No unscrewing of anything and the realization of why there is a button on top of the shroud

Well thanks for the help, this is deff a learning experience.

Custom 98 camo
flatline
tigman250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigman250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 8:29pm
carry an old pill bottle with you that has cotton balls soaked in alchol in it, when you get a break swing your hopper out of the way feed a cotton ball in (with no paint ball) and shoot..... all clean!
Brode30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brode30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2005 at 11:39pm
Seriously?  the alcohol doesn't hurt the sandpaper feeling stuff in the barrel? That sounds about 45 seconds faster than pulling that squeege through... I'll have to try that...
Custom 98 camo
flatline
bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 9:22am
i'm not so sure the cotton ball would make it all the way through though.
Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 10:40am
Putting a corrosive substance through a finished barrel just doesn't sound like a good idea...

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 11:55am
your better off with the pull through.
Stormcharger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormcharger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 2:22pm

Originally posted by Frozen Balls Frozen Balls wrote:

Putting a corrosive substance through a finished barrel just doesn't sound like a good idea...

Alcohol is not corrosive and will evaporate in seconds. 

Vraptor View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Spamming 11/1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vraptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 3:01pm
ok why does it take so long to set up that barrel, and WHY does it have a sandpaper feeling? shouldnt it have a smooth finish?
My review on the JT headshield:
http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/?prod=2390&sort=new

Tippmann A-5
Remote
Flatline
RT
Car stock
Brode30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brode30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 3:43pm

The barrel needs to be set in place, there is an adapter that screws into the 98's threads, but has a smooth finish where the actual curved barrel slides into at about a 10 degree down angle.  The barrel is then adjusted by a slight twist closckwise or counter and then the pinch bolt on the adaptor is tightened.

The sand paper feeling is like a 5000 or higher grit feeling.  The curve in the barrel creates the spin on the paintball.  Because the ball and the air travel out the barrel at the same time and the first curve is up, the air pushing the ball pins the ball against the top of the barrel as the air tries to pass under it.  The gritty feeling forces the ball to have a back spin and does all that funky long flat thing it was made to do.  If the barrel was oiled up and smoth then the air would pin the ball to the top of the barrel and then it would just slide out like a knuckle ball and die.  I was told to never oil the flatline and it seems to be working so far without any oil at all. 

hope this helps, trying to find a picture of the FL without the shroud to show you...

Custom 98 camo
flatline
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 7:20pm

With all the info out there now on the function of the Flatline, I am amazed that the same misconsections keep poping up. The rough (not polished) surface in the inside is created by bead blasting, not something glued to the inside. It is "rough" to provide friction to impart back spin to the paint ball thus making the ball's flat trajectory.

The barrel is not difficult nor time consuming to set up, just follow the instructions. It is a unique system. It does things no other barrel will do. It does take a few minutes to set up on the marker...and is worth it.

Edited by Bruce A. Frank
AdmiralSenn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdmiralSenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 2:29am
For cleaning, I use the pullthrough squeegee and a folding battle swab. I've yet to try the alcohol swabs but I hear that it works beautifully.
Is God real? You'll find out when you die.

Okay, I don't have a clever signature zinger. So sue me.
Brode30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brode30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2005 at 5:29pm
Good News, I played at Hellsurvivor's monster game for 2 days shot over 2500 balls and not one got chopped or broken in the barrel.  The only problem I had with the barrel was not really with the barrel, the CO2 got low on me and I went from 275fps to 165fps over 4 or 5 balls, I thought I was shooting out of a stock barrel at that point.  The balls would go like 100feet and hit the ground.  oh well teach me to carry more CO2... thanks for all your help boys (girls?)... happy hunting
Custom 98 camo
flatline
WaffleZ28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaffleZ28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 11:19am
Hey all,
     I recently bought a 98 custom and a flatline simultaneously.  I've never fired it out of the stock barrel, and I've only been out with it once..  But, the flatline has remarkable distance..  I was tripling my friends' ranges(sometimes)... however, even at semi-close range(50ft or so), my shots were hooking left, right, and occasionally up(That was ok..)..  But I was missing shots at this medium range that I could have EASILY hit with a RENTAL gun...  I didn't have my tools on me at the time..  but now I do, and I'm affraid to mess with anything, being such a beginner.  Is there anything simple I can do to keep the hooks up or my shots flat? 

Also, I hear the BEST velocity for the 98c's flatline to fire at is 280-285 fps.   IF this is true, how can I adjust the velocity and/or know what I'm shooting at now(Nothing special added to the gun, just the flatline)?  I saw a couple velocity knobs on a few websites and in pro shops, but the one made for my marker is an end-cap accessory..  and I have a collapsible stock installed already ...  so I guess the knob's just out then, right?  I can't figure out how to adjust the velocity

Any help here would be hawt heheh 

Oh, and I was using Diablo:  Blaze...  or some other type of Diablo.. not sure which balls they were exactly, but they were $45/case..  I know the paint matters, so just wanted to fill you guys in! 
The M498R

-WaffleZ28 FTW
tigman250 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigman250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 7:55pm
don't know how to adjust velocity???? did you think to read the manual, not sure but i think it's in there somewhere also you're hijacking a thread you should have created a new one. to answer your questions the velocity adjuster is on the left side of the gun right behind where the foregrip is clockwise=lower fps ccw=faster fps. if your balls are hooking back and forth your velocity is too high or paint is outa round
duffer1497 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer1497 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2005 at 12:34am
ive had a flatline for over 2 years i can honestly can say never broke any balls inside try useing better paint. i just put on an r/t i went nuts on the velocity all up then all down still not a break
WhatsThisBoxFor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatsThisBoxFor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2005 at 9:56am
A ball broke in my Flatline the first couple shots i took while chronographing lol
Hey
pseudoelf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pseudoelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 11:37pm
I fold down the feed elbow and push a flex squeege in the breach. I often add a liitle water to the squeege. This is where I differ from the previous reply. I hold the very end of the squeege's flex cable (tight) and shoot the gun I works much faster for getting all the paint stuck in the finish out. I dry fire it a couple more times to be sure I got all the water out, then snap the elbow back in place.
I could fix it, if only I had a bigger hammer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic