57 [51.35%]
54 [48.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:28pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I came through regular childbirth, into the regular world, dominated by chance, coincidence, accident, and science.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:30pm

Originally posted by fractus.scud fractus.scud wrote:

God did say he would intervene very little. Basically letting the world run itself until he's had enough. So to some extent you are correct. Iguess you could consider the few times God intervenes as "Miralcles".

Therein lies the heart of my proof.

The world operates according to scientifically predictable rules.  In order for god to intervene, he would have to cause something to happen contrary to these predictable rules (it isn't much of a miracle to make the sun come up in the morning).

Things happen that are apparently contrary to our scientific understanding of the world only a tiny fraction of the time.  The technical/statistical/scientific term for this is that there is not a statistically significant deviation.

Therefore, any interventions that god makes are either redundant (intervening to make something happen that was going to happen anyway), or these interventions are so rare that their impact on the world is statistically insignificant.

Therefore, as a mathematical matter, god is statistically insignificant.

fractus.scud View Drop Down
well I have no title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractus.scud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:31pm

I'd like to quote Einstien (sp)

"Religion without science is blind, science without religion is lame"

I might have gotten it backwards, but for you vocabulary challenged folks by lame he means cannot walk.

Benny go home!
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:32pm
But to most people statistics have nothing to do with their faith. Scientific statistics fail even in science. And most of what I believe as Interventions aren't earth-shaking occurences, but simply Divine Help in personal matters.

Edited by stratoaxe
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:34pm
Saying god is insignificant is silly. "Physics is the language of god"
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:34pm

Like God actually took the time out of his day to help Curt Schilling pitch the gamewinner in the World Series, but he still avoids helping the millions of poor, sick, and dying in the world.

Ehh, maybe god's a Red Sox fan.

Edited by Dune
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:37pm

I'd like to quote Einstien (sp)

"Religion without science is blind, science without religion is lame"

I might have gotten it backwards, but for you vocabulary challenged folks by lame he means cannot walk.

Wanna trade Einstein quotes?  Ok:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation...   Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms."

[Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955]

WKS_weiner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKS_weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:37pm
you should have an i dont know on that poll.
Always Bite the Hand
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:38pm

Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Scientific statistics fail even in science.

This statement makes absolutely no sense.  It is a complete oxymoron.

Science IS statistics, and statistics are science.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:39pm
God blesses people with gifts.

The poor, the sick and dying from disease and malnutrition come from the evil of men.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:39pm
Scapegoat alert!!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:40pm

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

Saying god is insignificant is silly. "Physics is the language of god"

Certainly, god could have set up the system in the first place.  My point is simply that putting aside origins or afterlives - as to the universe as we know it, god has no statistically significant impact.

Simply as a matter of science.

fractus.scud View Drop Down
well I have no title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractus.scud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Like God actually took the time out of his day to help Curt Schilling pitch the gamewinner in the World Series, but he still avoids helping the millions of poor, sick, and dying in the world.

Ehh, maybe god's a Red Sox fan.

Once again, God said he would let us basically run the world. Sick children dieing is the fault of their corrupt country, not his. Today in church the Gospel was about burdens, and Jesus told us our life would be a burden, God never said the Earth would be a happy slappy place where nothing went wrong.

Benny go home!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:41pm

God blesses people with gifts.

The poor, the sick and dying from disease and malnutrition come from the evil of men.

What Dune said.  This is too convenient.

When good things happen, god gets all the credit.  When bad things happen, god gets no blame.  That don't seem right.

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:41pm
So why do people thank god for these "gifts" like they deserve them more than the innocents dying every day. I've seen death, and there is no rhyme or reason as to why some go and some don't. There is no overpowering force that determines life for his "pawns."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:41pm
You all claim how the US inslaves countries through business and debt, and these countries become poor, they cant afford medicine or food, so they starve and get sick. Greed is the culpret, if everyone was more concerned about human beings than money, truely concerned about people. The world would be a better place.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:41pm
I came from a test tube. God didnt create me, Science did.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:42pm

Once again, God said he would let us basically run the world. Sick children dieing is the fault of their corrupt country, not his. Today in church the Gospel was about burdens, and Jesus told us our life would be a burden, God never said the Earth would be a happy slappy place where nothing went wrong.

So you agree with me that god is insignificant today?

You sound like a deist...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

So why do people thank god for these "gifts" like they deserve them more than the innocents dying every day. I've seen death, and there is no rhyme or reason as to why some go and some don't. There is no overpowering force that determines life for his "pawns."

What you chose to see or not to see is not my problem. I have seen ryhme and reason to it. There is a beat to life, its like a dance.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 6:44pm

You all claim how the US inslaves countries through business and debt,.

That would be the smittys - not the rest of us.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic