Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Refilling co2’s at home...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
JPring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refilling co2’s at home...
    Posted: 28 June 2005 at 1:16am
Ok, I have a 20lb co2 tank... Is this large enough to fill paintball co2's or should I look into getting a larger tank? I already ordered a 32* fill station. Also we have everything from 9 oz to 20 oz tanks, aprox how many fills can I get from a tank this size?  And last... One of the places I get mine filled doesn't use a scale, do I really need one?
Pro-Lite
A-5 with R/T & Flatline
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 2:01am

Oh where oh where is You Wont See Me?

Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 2:48am
I highly sujest you do not fill your own tanks unless you are certified.

That being said, yes you need a scale to accuaratly fill a tank.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
JPring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 2:54am
How do I get certified to fill co2 tanks?
Pro-Lite
A-5 with R/T & Flatline
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 2:54am
Well lets see, how many times does 12 oz go into 20 lbs? Thats your answer as to how many fills. YES, you need a scale.

I suggest you do some serious research/ reading before you even attempt to fill tanks with the knowledge you have now. It could be very dangerous
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 2:57am
Originally posted by JPring JPring wrote:

How do I get certified to fill co2 tanks?

Go to where you first got your tanks filled, and ask them.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 9:29am

I recently starting filling my own c02 tanks, and while I am not "certified" to do so my uncle to runs a paintball store and is certified has shown me how to properly do it.

We just use a fish scale, you put the tank on empty then zero it out. But you have to watch out because it goes by tenth of a pound instead of ounces. so .1=1.6 ounces

A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
^Pirate^ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ^Pirate^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 9:29am

20ilb / 12oz (20 x 16)        320 oz / 12 oz

9 -  34-36 something like that.

12 - 25-27

20 oz - 15-16

With any other small variable, those may be off so I just put a small range and, yes in order to get the correct fill you'll need a scale.

It aint about black or white
becuz we human
I hope we see the light before it's ruined
My ghetto gospel
98_custom22 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Selling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98_custom22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 11:23am
not a very smart idea unless you have a parent or a relative{like ywsm}who actually knos what he is doing
98% of ion owners think ions are better than any high end gun. If you would like to bonus ball these idiots put this in your sig.

me:
06 Nasty Nerve
68/4500 +47/3000
halo b
freak kit
Smitty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Murdock ... Iím cominí ta get YOU!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 11:27am
I've been filling my tanks for some time.  Your big tank should last you quite a while.  You will need a scale.  You have to make sure you weigh the tank empty.  Then you can know that it's 100% full.  I'd try to fill it at 19oz for a 20oz tank and so on.  This way you're safe from it flying off the valve.  I use a meat scale.  It's digital, so it's easy to tell how full the tank is.  You just zero it out and fill it to about 19-20oz.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 12:47pm
I fill my own tanks(20lb) and I have played with a friend for two years who brings his 20lb tank while we go paintballing. I have seen it been used and everything,so I know how to do it. Out of the two years, we have not used a scale at all. I want to get one because I feel like I don't get enough co2 in my tanks as I should. We kind of pick up our tanks and see how heavy it had got and so when we think it is enough, we turn off the tank. It doesn't matter to us if we fill our tanks low because we can always fill right after that game. And for it being Woodsball, most people don't run out of air that often.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
JPring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 2:58pm
Ok, well it seems alot of people are against filling at home? I'm aware there are dangers involved, but I think even if a person isn't certified they can at least be taught by someone who does know? A scale seems like a good idea. And filling to slightly less than capacity is a good idea. As far as my question how far will a 20 lb tank last? Yes I can do the simple math, but liquid co2 makes alot of gas co2... So with the supply tank being upright it should be filling mostly gas? Or maybe that's getting too involved? Anyway, I'll do some more research on filling and talk to the guy that fills mine now before I even try filling tanks... Thanks for the info!
Pro-Lite
A-5 with R/T & Flatline
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 3:01pm
If it doesn't have a siphon tube, you must turn your bulk tank upside down to get liquid co2 in your tank

Smitty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Murdock ... Iím cominí ta get YOU!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 3:01pm

Ok, well it seems alot of people are against filling at home? I'm aware there are dangers involved, but I think even if a person isn't certified they can at least be taught by someone who does know? A scale seems like a good idea. And filling to slightly less than capacity is a good idea. As far as my question how far will a 20 lb tank last? Yes I can do the simple math, but liquid co2 makes alot of gas co2... So with the supply tank being upright it should be filling mostly gas? Or maybe that's getting too involved? Anyway, I'll do some more research on filling and talk to the guy that fills mine now before I even try filling tanks... Thanks for the info!
You want a siphon valve on your Bulk Tank.  You want it to suck liquid.  It'll be part gas.  Anyway, it's not dangerous if you have supervision, and as long as you know what you're doing you should be fine.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 3:08pm

Originally posted by Smitty Smitty wrote:

I'd try to fill it at 19oz for a 20oz tank and so on.  This way you're safe from it flying off the valve
Very true, we fill to about 16-17 oz just to be sure.

You want a siphon tube, then you just flip the bulk tank upside down and your filling liquid c02. That way you get more in the tank. It also helps to chill the tanks.

Edited by You Wont See Me
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 3:24pm
On my tank, the little thing around the knob that you use to carry the tank, is plastic. Should that plastic hold if I flip the tank upside down for a long time?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 3:27pm
We flip the tank upside down and strap it to a tree. Thatway it holds and is there whenever anyone needs a fill.
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 3:34pm
I'm going to build a little stand for my tank because I will be keeping it in the house and I have no where to put it because everything doesn't have something I can strap it to so it doesn't fall and bust the valve.

RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by You Wont See Me You Wont See Me wrote:

We flip the tank upside down and strap it to a tree. Thatway it holds and is there whenever anyone needs a fill.
Does it reeally matter if the smaller tank is above the bulk tank while filling? If the smaller tank has to be lower, I will make the stand, if it doesn't I won't.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 3:37pm
Just take it outside when its time to fill the tanks and strap it to a tree.
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic