Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Refilling co2’s at home...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
ThunderPants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderPants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2005 at 8:36pm
 what ever happened to all day air?
teamtriggerhappy.com
eatonpaint.com
wevopaintball.com
Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 2:57am

I am just going to have to comment. JPring has a nearly perfect setup.

Let me debunk some of the other comments. First, if you have no scale you stand the chance of not having the cylinder full enough to last the day. Over filling is really not a danger since if you do and the tank warms up it blows the rupture safety disk.

There is no reason to under-fill a tank. A 20 oz tank should be filled to 20 oz. The tank, with some effort, can be overfilled. 20 oz in a 20 oz tank still has air space and in normal temps the safety rupture disk will keep it all inside (don't leave it lying in the sun in your car).

Most empty tanks will not take a full charge of CO2. Fill the tank as far as it will go, close the station tank valve then bleed off an ounce or two from the bottle you are filling. This will chill the bottle allowing you to then add more CO2. Some times I have to bleed off a couple of times during the fill process...particularly on a warm day.

This is a safe process. You are not going to blow up a bottle. But it is a good idea to wear safety glasses and maybe some light gloves (things get cold to the touch). A fitting on the hose or the valves themselves may come apart so wear glasses. I do!

I fill with a 20 lb bottle and with the necessary bleed off to cool the 20 oz bottles I get about 12 to 15 fills. At $23 for a refill of the 20 pounder and $5 a fill at the field I save about $3+ per bottle. 5 pre-filled 20 oz CO2 cylinders lasts 2 of us all day on the speedball field.

Getting ready to switch to HPA. I am a welder and know high pressure cylinders pretty well, but I will have to buy a 5000 psi air bottle to make filling my own practical. At $200 for a cylinder like that, it will take a number of all-day-air-for-$10 to make it worth while.

Bruce A. Frank View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
KRL Reincarnated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce A. Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 3:03am

Originally posted by You Wont See Me You Wont See Me wrote:

But can it go through these washboard abs of steel?

Like a hot knife through butter!

JPring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 3:14am
Thanks for the info Bruce... As far as saftey goes today I didn't use gloves or eye protection, but from now on I will... Good point!
Pro-Lite
A-5 with R/T & Flatline
jmz007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmz007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 5:54pm
I like to hold the tank between my legs as it refils, quite the rush.
work: the curse of the drinking class.
MilSimBaller View Drop Down
1 strike, language. 6/7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilSimBaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 8:44pm

I have welding experience also...

Word of wise advice:

ALWAYS KEEP THE MASTER CYLINDER CHAINED OR PROPERLY FASTENED VERTICALLY, NEVER EVER ON ITS SIDE.

Alot of times, a tank will fall if not strapped, the valve will sheer off and you will have a torpedo capable of breaking legs and going through brick walls.  And I'm not exagerating, I've seen the aftermath of an accident like this.  Also, don't lay it on the ground because something can fall on it, creating the same problem.

Edited by MilSimBaller - 24 October 2006 at 8:47pm
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 12:28am
wow, talk about one really old thread.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic