FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mods, what do you think?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mods, what do you think?
    Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:24pm

I read this post on the airsoft ohio forum.  It is from one of the mods there.  It sounds like an interesting idea.

Airsoft Ohio Moderation Reform

Hi all,

In case you haven't heard or notice yet, AO has just recently introduced a "post rating" feature, which is the first step in our adventure to create a "self-governing" online community based on the fundamentals of democracy.

The detail of this new system can be found here:
http://www.airsoftohio.com/showthre...=&threadid=6148

Obviously, the first thing is a BIG thank-you which goes to Locutus for spending the time and implementing this feature. It has been in the work for quite some time now and I know he spends LOTs of personal hours into this.

Nonetheless, what does it mean? In a nutshell, we are giving EVERY USER the power to delete useless posts. You read that right, EVERYONE. But there is a catch - which is that you must also have enough like-minded users that share the same thought with you.

Basically, each POST (not just the thread) can receive a rating, and if the particular post receives enough poor rating, it will either be hidden or outright removed. If the first post in a thread receives enough bad rating, the entire thread will be removed.

In contrary, if a post receives enough "good" rating, it will be highlighted as a "worthy post" so that newcomers can scan through the entire thread and only read the "highlighted" post because they contains the most relevant information. (Note that this feature has not been implemented yet, but it should be online shortly.)

To understand the full detail please refer to the announcement that Locutus made via the above link. I posted this sticky mainly because I want to make sure you are aware of this new feature, and that you utilize this new feature to make AirsoftOhio.com a better place.

Please feel free to post any questions or comments on the announcement thread. As I said this is the first step in a collection of changes, and you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Many other improvements are being worked on as we speak and you will slowly see them online shortly.

Regards,

Ez.Wallace

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:26pm

I don't think that would work on this forum.

edit..well...it might.. Now that I think about it. Unpopular members could be unfairly singled out though.

Edited by Benjichang
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:27pm
Alright, so say in a debate where there is a clear majority and a clear minority, the majority can just give the minority's posts a "poor" rating and erase the opposition.  Sounds like censorship not an "online community based on the fundamentals of democracy.".
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:28pm
That's a good idea.

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

edit..well...it might.. Now that I think about it. Unpopular members could be unfairly singled out though.

Nor do I.  Good idea though.

Edited by Glassjaw
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:31pm

More info:

To help keep things clean, we have now implemented Community Moderation of both users and posts.

Beneath each post you will now see the option to rate the post. The post can be rated from 1 to 5, with 1 being the worst.

Let me explain how this will impact posts (and users) on Airsoft Ohio.

If is post has an average rating between 1 and 2 after receiving 10 votes, the post will automatically removed. If the post in question is the first post in the thread, then the whole thread is automatically removed.

These post ratings also reflect upon the poster. Everyone now has a "Reputation Rating" between 1 and 5. Your Reputation is the average rating of ALL of your posts. Your reputation rating will appear under your name after your posts have accumilated 10 votes.

Your reputation rating determines how "powerful" your votes are against other posts. For example, if User A has a reputation rating of 4 and user B has a reputation rating of 2, then user A's votes count twice as much as User B.

If is a user has a reputation rating between 1 and 2 after their votes have accumilated 10 votes, then that user's ability to post will automatically be suspended for 7 days. After 7 days their reputation rating resets and they are given another chance. If they once again receive a rating between 1 and 2 after 10 votes, then their ability to post will automatically be suspended for 30 days. After this they will be given one last change (3 strikes), if they once again get a low rating, they will be permanently banned.

One thing we will NOT tolerate is abuse of this system. Purposely rating posts poorly just because you do not like the person is grounds for immediate banning. We will be monitoring the use of this system very closely.

To prevent retaliation voting all Super Moderators and above do not have a Reputation Rating.

This is just the first of many enhancements we have planned. We will be refining and enhancing this feature as we go.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Smitty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Murdock ... Iím cominí ta get YOU!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:33pm
I'm not sure.  People could pick on others they hate and give them a bad rating, even if it's a great thread.  I say we keep it like it is here.  Not a horrible idea, but I don't know how it'd work here.  I wish we could get some other things up first, such as the IP Ban and star system.  It may be a good idea, but it's my opinion that it won't work very well here.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Badsmitty Badsmitty wrote:

More info:

To help keep things clean, we have now implemented Community Moderation of both users and posts.

Beneath each post you will now see the option to rate the post. The post can be rated from 1 to 5, with 1 being the worst.

Let me explain how this will impact posts (and users) on Airsoft Ohio.

If is post has an average rating between 1 and 2 after receiving 10 votes, the post will automatically removed. If the post in question is the first post in the thread, then the whole thread is automatically removed.

These post ratings also reflect upon the poster. Everyone now has a "Reputation Rating" between 1 and 5. Your Reputation is the average rating of ALL of your posts. Your reputation rating will appear under your name after your posts have accumilated 10 votes.

Your reputation rating determines how "powerful" your votes are against other posts. For example, if User A has a reputation rating of 4 and user B has a reputation rating of 2, then user A's votes count twice as much as User B.

If is a user has a reputation rating between 1 and 2 after their votes have accumilated 10 votes, then that user's ability to post will automatically be suspended for 7 days. After 7 days their reputation rating resets and they are given another chance. If they once again receive a rating between 1 and 2 after 10 votes, then their ability to post will automatically be suspended for 30 days. After this they will be given one last change (3 strikes), if they once again get a low rating, they will be permanently banned.

One thing we will NOT tolerate is abuse of this system. Purposely rating posts poorly just because you do not like the person is grounds for immediate banning. We will be monitoring the use of this system very closely.

To prevent retaliation voting all Super Moderators and above do not have a Reputation Rating.

This is just the first of many enhancements we have planned. We will be refining and enhancing this feature as we go.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Still sounds like censorship, wont work here, we don't have enough mods to prevent abuse and even if we did it would be an even more intensive job then what they have now.

I think the "report post" button that originally was part of this forum's software is a much better option.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:35pm
Some idiot would just rate everyones post a 1.
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:36pm
Its tippmann that would have to implement it......good luck with that.
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Smitty Smitty wrote:

I'm not sure.  People could pick on others they hate and give them a bad rating, even if it's a great thread.  I say we keep it like it is here.  Not a horrible idea, but I don't know how it'd work here.  I wish we could get some other things up first, such as the IP Ban and star system.  It may be a good idea, but it's my opinion that it won't work very well here.

Precisely.
Smitty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 10:56pm

Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

I think the "report post" button that originally was part of this forum's software is a much better option.

I agree, yet I don't remember that.  Must have been before my time.

Edited by Smitty
tippmann89c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmann89c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

and that'd what would happen.

bad idea.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 11:22pm

Tyranny of the masses.

Bad idea.

NotDaveEllis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotDaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2005 at 11:24pm
I highly doubt you can implement that onto WebWhizz
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 12:16am
Not a good idea, just the examples here of our forum "polls" where our "multiple personalities" will flood posts they disagree with till thier individual opinions end up deleting anothers, and who is the truely unpopular poster in this kind of unregulated system of signons and multi-personalitied forums, a true fiasco in the making.

Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 12:52am
Good in theory, Bad in practice. Already been said, but Im just agreeing.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 12:56am

webwiz=teh suck

Now vBulletin, theres a forum that can be modded to the ma, best example of this is livingwithstyle.

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 2:59am

Originally posted by Durar Durar wrote:

How can you mess up my name when you QUOTED ME?!

Its never been on this forum, its in the raw software.  I downloaded the software to mess around with on some free webspace a while ago and stumbled on the feature.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Smitty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Originally posted by Durar Durar wrote:

How can you mess up my name when you QUOTED ME?!

Its never been on this forum, its in the raw software.  I downloaded the software to mess around with on some free webspace a while ago and stumbled on the feature.
Haha.  I quoted you, and notice how I took some out.  Well I deleted your name and the quote thing too.  I couldn't remember if it was an A or a U.  Guessed.  I guess I'm a bad guesser.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic