FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Doesnt Congress have anything better 2 do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 1:47am
That would be nice, we got some new uniforms with a lot of new pockets, including pockets over the cargo pockets. It would be nice to fill the space. I use to complain about not enough, now I have so much I can't find my notepad to take down some ignorant fool's complaint about their neighbor parking on the road.
goodsmitty View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Childish Insults 3/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 1:51am

Get this-I just found them on line in PDF format, ready for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.enlisted.info/field-manuals/fm-3-7-NBC-field-hand book.shtml

"Reading this thread, I'm sad to say that the only difference between the average American and the average Taliban is economic status."
-Zesty

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 1:52am
Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for the heads up.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 8:47am
Oh noez, now you're telling terrorist what we do!

[/sarcasm]

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 10:21am
Until this amendment propsal I had never considered burning and flag and did not like to witness it myself. I would only burn a flag to protest something I outright dissagreed with and that was of the polictal nature. I wouldnt even concider burning it for most of the politcal issues.

That said, where does the National ID card measure stand these days. I have a union rep willing to organize an LA County mass burning of the ID cards to protest if this does go down. I havent heard much on it lately so I am hoping someone stepped in and ended that madness.

Oh, Good Catch, Bunkers. It has been a while since Civics class. I usually dont pay any attention till the politicians do something that irkes me.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 12:29pm

Wow, this thread went absolutely nowhere...   The last 6 pages were an impressive display of non-progress.  I will therefore cut back to the essence, in an impressive display of arrogance, by quoting myself:

Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

1.  Burning a flag is (usually) expression of political belief or criticism, i.e. political speech.

2.  Political speech (like criticizing the government) is the principal reason we even HAVE the first amendment.

3.  Political speech is the most protected form of speech of all, because political speech (specifically including dissident speech and criticism of government) is central to the existence of a democracy.

Therefore, it is rather obvious that prohibiting flag-burning is not only unconstitutional (as the Court has pointed out in the past), but also simply un-American and un-Democratic.

To add to that, Rico (and others) pointed out that flag-burning is (or at least can be) a very effective form of speech.  That, of course, only makes it MORE important to protect this form of speech.  If only ineffictive speech is protected, what kind of protection is that?

PRINCIPLE:  It is specifically the EFFECTIVE, POWERFUL speech that needs protecting.

Linus also pointed out that a majority of Americans don't like flag-burning, and perhaps even think it should be illegal.  That, of course, only makes it MORE important to protect this form of speech.  If only popular speech is protected, why bother with the First Amendment?  The popular opinion doesn't need protection.

PRINCIPLE:  It is specifically the UNPOPULAR speech that needs protection.

So flag-burning is unpopular, powerful, political speech.  What speech could possibly be MORE deserving of protection?

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 2:00pm
I completely agree. I a currently reading Judy Bloom's, "Places I Never Meant to Be,""> which is a collection of writting by young authors that were censored.

Originally posted by From Judy Bloom's Intro to the book From Judy Bloom's Intro to the book wrote:

This obsession with banning books continues as we approach the year 2000. Today it is not only Sex, Swear Words and Lack of Moral Tone -- it is Evil, which, according to the censors, can be found lurking everywhere. Stories about Halloween, witches, and devils are an suspect for promoting Satanism. Romeo and Juliet is under fire for promoting suicide; Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, for promoting New Age-ism. If the censors had their way it would be good-bye to Shakespeare as well as science fiction. There's not an ism you can think of that's not bringing some book to the battlefield.

DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 2:22pm
Yep. I dont think books should be baned. It only gives them more power, it makes them more meaningful. In my eyes, its an honor. Great books have been baned, Huck Fin, Uncle Toms Cabin, Slaughterhouse Five. Lots of books have been baned. But banning books doesnt mean much, it just means you cant get them at school libraries, but you can still get a hold of them. Its when a book is silently killed because of controvercy, thats when we have a problem. When the author is given 6,000 dollars in shut up money to go away, then the book dies. Or when from presure from outside sources forces retailers to kill a book, pull it from the shelves and stick in the basement. When the press puts so much negative controvercy on a book, like Fortunate Son published under Soft Skull publishing. Banning books is dangerous, but its when books are silently killed without the publics knowledge, that when we have a problem, and usualy, no one knows about it.
Impulse. View Drop Down
Banned for linkage to Doll Pron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impulse. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2005 at 3:15pm
4th of July is coming up soon. So I say to everyone, don't think about burning flags but yet do what we have been doing forever, blowing stuff up with m-80's on the 4th. Nothing more patriotic than that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:30pm

Resurrecting this old thing, as we may see some action on flag-burning soon.

Story here.  Kid burns flag, kid gets arrested.

Could be interesting.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:35pm
He 1, stole a flag. 2, He burned it, Arson. 3. Where he lives it is a crime.

He should be fined.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:37pm

Oh, he clearly violated the law, and should be convicted.

But it is inevitable that after his conviction, somebody will appeal the flag-burning conviction on constitutional grounds.  That's when the fun begins...

*me anticipates with glee*

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:47pm
"The teenager was released from jail Thursday on his own recognizance while he awaits his Aug. 2 trial on charges of desecrating a venerated object, underage drinking, littering, evading arrest, burning personal property and theft."

I don't get it?  It's illegal to burn personal property?
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
Hitman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Why yes, I am JUST THAT cool, thx...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:51pm
You can never own a flag, that's impossible. Because the flag is a piece of America, YOU CANT OWN AMERICA. That teenager is on a bad path. He needs to clean up his act before he winds up dead.
[IMG]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4874/stellatn8.jpg">

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:51pm
Yeah, your not alowed to burn things. You could set something else on fire.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:53pm

Originally posted by Glassjaw Glassjaw wrote:

"The teenager was released from jail Thursday on his own recognizance while he awaits his Aug. 2 trial on charges of desecrating a venerated object, underage drinking, littering, evading arrest, burning personal property and theft."

I don't get it?  It's illegal to burn personal property?

Other people's personal property...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:54pm

Originally posted by Hitman Hitman wrote:

You can never own a flag, that's impossible. Because the flag is a piece of America, YOU CANT OWN AMERICA.

You should tell that to K-Mart.  They sell flags for $3.99.

Not to mention that I can print one out with my printer.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 2:35am
The dad sounds like an idiot in the article.

Originally posted by Dad Dad wrote:

Staley, 18, is accused of taking the flag from a residence and setting it on fire. His father said the teenager "has no reason for anger against the United States" and could easily have ignited a garbage can instead of a flag.

"He was brought up in church, and he knows right from wrong," Doc Staley said.

Doc Staley said his son has been "floundering around" since dropping out of high school. "This is where the drinking came in. And he's not very good at it," the father said.

Sure the kid has lots of reasons to be mad at the United States. Maybe he has friends that are serving in Iraq or comming home in a body bag, maybe he is getting pressured into enlisting into a military force in which he doesnt agree with. Maybe he is mad that he earned a crappy education.... The list can go on and on....

I am wondering if this law will ever be stuck down by the supreme court.

[charges of desecrating a venerated object -

The Tennessee flag-burning statute makes the crime a misdemeanor, punishable by less than a year in jail and up to $2,500 fine.]

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 2:40am
He will probly get a 500 dollar fine. Thats it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 11:02am
Bump since the topic keeps creeping into other threads.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic