FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Learning guitar......cause I suck at it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:56pm

Originally posted by Atrosity Atrosity wrote:

I have a Fender Stratocaster and my amp has overdrive, and since I'd be playing hard rock/ metal, I think I'm good, right?

Yes-but I'd recommend an external OD unit like the Zakk Wylde or Boss offerings if you want some extra punch. Strat's not gonna provide you with alot of punch (assuming it has single coils), but you're off to a good start. BTW, Sweet Home Alabama is a great song to start off with. Try the ol' song House of the Rising Sun for some easy beginner chords of that nature. There are tricks to playing SHA, but I'd have to show you.

Atrosity View Drop Down

Strike 1 - Inappropriate Avatar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atrosity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:18pm
^^^^ ok ill get the power tab for SHA
"Who me? No I'm quite blunt, like a sledghammer to the temple."-Me
triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:38pm

I started to learn guitar too. I was told to just start trying to play, and keep practicing and Ill learn. Im getting better each time I practice.

So what I can tell you to do is print out some TABS or chords (whatever you can read) to a song you know well, and just try to play it. You will sound terrible at first, but dont give up. With practice (I noticed about 2 days of practice) you will find yourself improving, and your coordination working well after a week or so of practice for an hour every day.

I have no idea how to read chords, I can only read TABs. Chords seem extremly confusing.

ultimatetrooper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Hardcore Ghetto Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultimatetrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:41pm
Knowing the song your learning helps. That way you can tell if it sounds right. That was my first n00b mistake. :)
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 1:11am
I get money and girls without having to weld an axe.... unless she asks me too.

Edited by Hades

Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 1:19am
Get lessons. Don't think you don't need them. I started out trying to teach myself. I messed around for a year then wised up and got lessons. Unless you are one of the few people to who it comes naturally, I would advise against teaching yourself. Eventually you'll lose interest because nothing will be motivating you. If you take lessons, you have to meet a certain point each week. 

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 1:22am
I had lessons for my first three and a half years, but in retrospect they weren't very helpful. I could have learned everything in them from books. I guess it just depends on the teacher and your style.
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Cedric Cedric wrote:

Get lessons. Don't think you don't need them. I started out trying to teach myself. I messed around for a year then wised up and got lessons. Unless you are one of the few people to who it comes naturally, I would advise against teaching yourself. Eventually you'll lose interest because nothing will be motivating you. If you take lessons, you have to meet a certain point each week. 

Online lessons!
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 1:23am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I had lessons for my first three and a half years, but in retrospect they weren't very helpful. I could have learned everything in them from books. I guess it just depends on the teacher and your style.

Yeah.. I'm guessing you didn't have a good teacher.

TheSpookyKids87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Heh-heh heh-heh - You said "post"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSpookyKids87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 8:44am
I went to get lessons a couple of times, the guy wasn't really that good at teaching so I taught myself. I just read tabs and just play over and over till I learn it.

Begginer Lessons

Begginer Songs

The sites lead to a forum at http://www.ultimate-guitar.com
Atrosity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atrosity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 11:50am
Originally posted by triggerhappy1 triggerhappy1 wrote:

I have no idea how to read chords, I can only read TABs. Chords seem extremly confusing.

Do you mean music, not chords? Like off a music sheet? I can read music (took 3 years of band, played sax tho), but I can't remember which strings and frets make which note, and tabs just plain rock out loud (when you're playing them that is).

I was going to learn "Bottom of a Bottle" by Smile Empty Soul, but then i realized I don't know how to palm mute notes

Originally posted by Cedric Cedric wrote:

I'm going to get lessons from my friend's dad, he used to be in a band, for like 7 years.

Edited by Atrosity
slettec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slettec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 11:57am

if you want to get really good, eventually... maybe after a couple of years, learn as many led zeppelin solos as you can. it really helps your finger coordination and ability to move around. if you have the heart, go for it. it helped me very much. and it gives you bragging right such as: "oh, that Whole Lotta Love solo. hahaha that's easy dude!"

two of the best guitar players i know are self-taught. you can do it.

WGP orracle
cp flame drop
MACdev gladiator reg
Evil pipe kit
68/5000 tank
evlutionII w/zboard

A-5
ultralite
e-grip w/jcs duel trigger
45/4500 crossfire
LPK,cp reg
Drop forward
triggerhappy1 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggerhappy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 11:57am
I guess, when I decided to start playing, I was introduced to TABs. So I have no clue how to do chords. TABs tell you where to fret and what string to play, but doesnt tell you tempo. Theres a few songs I really want to play, but theres only chords to them so I cant.
Hitman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Why yes, I am JUST THAT cool, thx...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 12:02pm
I had a terrible guitar teacher. I went to him for 2 years. I learned very little. My lessons eventually became the only time I actually played my guitar.
[IMG]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4874/stellatn8.jpg">

Atrosity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atrosity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 12:57pm
^^^^^ That's why I'm going to get lessons from my friend's dad. He's really good, he'll teach you a ton of stuff not even trying, and he'll do it for free too. 
RenegadeGopher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Renegade of Funk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RenegadeGopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 5:26pm
Kid, take lessons. Seriously.

I started learning by myself about a year ago, and I regret not getting lessons. It'll get you through so much faster.

G- 320033
C- 332010
D- XX0232
A minor-X02210

practice those.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Renegade of Funk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RenegadeGopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 5:28pm
And on second thought, jesus christ I guess I am pretty good after a year, seeing as how you guys are complaining and just beginning.AND SUCK Christ

Edited by RenegadeGopher
Jetinal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 5:46pm
i taught myself and im still goin after 3 years, im in a musical family with every1 but my mom plyin guitar but my bros and dad tried to show me stuff and were like ur'll learn better for urslef so i did and it worked. Now i've started writing my own stuff, wen i recorded my first song it really felt like all the practice i had done had payed off. Wen ur not tht gd and are just strtin off there are times wen u'll think it'll b ages b4 i can play tht, try findin things u will b able to play with ina little while then u'll strt to realise u can only get better and eventually u'll be awesome.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Renegade of Funk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RenegadeGopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 6:05pm
^Kid do you ever use vowels?
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 6:20pm

Originally posted by triggerhappy1 triggerhappy1 wrote:

I guess, when I decided to start playing, I was introduced to TABs. So I have no clue how to do chords. TABs tell you where to fret and what string to play, but doesnt tell you tempo. Theres a few songs I really want to play, but theres only chords to them so I cant.

You're really making a mountain of chords-it's not anywhere near as hard as what you think. Guitar Pro has every chord imaginable in its database, along with diagrams.

www.chordfind.com

Edited by stratoaxe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic