Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Learning guitar......cause I suck at it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Atrosity View Drop Down

Strike 1 - Inappropriate Avatar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atrosity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learning guitar......cause I suck at it
    Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:16pm
How would someone go about learning guitar, without lessons? I've decided to actually put mine to use before I forget where it is.

And plus, chicks dig guys that can play guitar, and battle scars

Edited by Atrosity
"Who me? No I'm quite blunt, like a sledghammer to the temple."-Me
Heres To You View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Atrosity Atrosity wrote:

How would someone go about learning guitar, without lessons? I've decided to actually put mine to use before I forget where it is.

And plus, chicks dig guys that can play guitar, and battle scars

I taught myself.  Once you learn the 3 main chords (G, C, and D), everything else just kind of follows.

Search for guitar chords on the internet, and try and learn the 3 I mentioned.  Once you can get those to where you can change without looking, PM me, and I'll help you with some more.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."
MultiColoredJ View Drop Down

1 strike, language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MultiColoredJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:19pm
I'd say you should Learn some of the major chords and a few simple songs. Then you can progress into more complex songs and the like.
Don't really get into the lead stuff yet, but get used to playing individual strings sometimes.
Back and with a vengeance.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by MultiColoredJ MultiColoredJ wrote:

I'd say you should Learn some of the major chords and a few simple songs. Then you can progress into more complex songs and the like.
Don't really get into the lead stuff yet, but get used to playing individual strings sometimes.

Thats what I was going to tell him.  I know some really popular songs you can easily play with G, C, and D.  But I'm not going to tell him until he learns the three chords well enough.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:33pm
Care to tell me the songs you have in mind? I already know the chords you have listed. 
I need a new Sig...
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:34pm
Yeah, just learn chords.

I wish I had the energy to actually start playing again. It was cool, and I'm not too bad, but I just got bored as crap.
Atrosity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atrosity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:34pm
If I pick the 6th string, is it suppose to distort hum wierd? It's kinda distorted sounding. I have a book that's suppose to help, but hard to follow. I can play Smoke On The Water though. That means i rock at guitar.

/stupidity
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:35pm
GET LESSONS.

Atrosity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atrosity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:38pm
Guys I have a good plan now! I learn from my friend's dad (really good) and me and my friend find a bassist and drummer and we start a band and get rich. My mommy says it will never work though, isn't she nice?
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Apu Apu wrote:

Care to tell me the songs you have in mind? I already know the chords you have listed. 

Sure, it may not be your cup of tea, but they are excellent songs, and great to learn with too.

A fairly easy song with G, C, and D, is Tyler Hilton's "Someone like you".  The name sounds familiar because he's off one tree hill.  Very good to play for the females as well

An advanced song you could play with the 3 chords is the intro to "Sweet Home Alabama", which for a beginner is somewhat complicated.

But if you like the Tyler Hilton song and wanna know what order the chords are in the let me know and ill tell you.
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:43pm
Also, if you're doing this to get girls and get money, you make me sick. You might as well just stop playing and get a job.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:45pm

Here's a site for you:

http://www.power-tab.net/

The power tab software is made for editing tabs-but it also plays them back in any form or timing that you want. This has really helped me on speed riffs, and it's like having an instructor there with you. The actual editor is fairly large, but the tabs themselves are extremely small (1-12K-about a one-two second download on 56K). You can get the tabs here:

www.powertabs.net

This is Guitar Pro's website:

www.guitar-pro.com

Download the trial-it never actually ends (even though it says it does). GP is more user friendly, but doesn't print out tabs as well as PT. Google for more GP and PT tab sites.

I wonder if the mods would let me put up a guitar lesson sticky-? Seems there are a lot of beginners here on the forum. There are lots of guitar lesson sites on the Internet, so Google in Guitar Lessons.

The main thing is to choose a style and run with it. I recommend blues-but most people aren't into that, so I'd probably be wasting my breath. Just go with what you like-if you don't personally enjoy music, you're wasting your time.

Decide what type of guitar you want-check out www.musiciansfriend.com or search for guitar reviews on the net. Your style is going to influence your choice greatly-I recommend starting with an accoustic, as the heavier strings will condition your hands. Try getting finger weights as you'll find that finger strength is second only to coordination in playing the axe.

After getting started, you'll want to go to an electric (assuming you're going to be playing rock, blues, country, etc.). Here's some info for you-

Electric Guitars

Fender Stratocasters=Primarily blues and lead line guitars.

Gibson Les Paul/SG=Primarily rock guitars-they swing both ways with lead and chorus

Pickups-

Single Coil-Standard on the Standard/American Stratocasters/everything meant to copy a Stratocaster

Humbucker-The larger pickups-basically for a fatter tone with more sustain. You'll want humbuckers if you plan on playing a heavier backup as they provide more punch.

Amps

Tube-The most expensive amps. Tube amps provide tone in the purest form, and provide natural distortion at higher volumes.

Solid State-An amp that doesn't work off of tubes-generally less punchy tone, but at a way cheaper price

Modeling Amps/Guitars-Amps or guitars that model the tone of another amp or guitar. Basically if you want to play different styles or tones, but don't have the $$$ for alot of different equipment.

Effects

Distortioner/Overdrive Pedals-Provide the crunchy distorted tone you hear in rock, and basically almost every other form of modern music.

Reverb-Most amps have built in reverb, adds a slight echo to enhance the tone of your guitar

Delay-Life a seriously amped up reverb

That should get you started as far as equipment is concerned. If I'm off on anything, I'm not an expert, but this is fairly generalized intro to basic guitar equipment.

Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:47pm
I know the intro to Sweet Home Alabama. It is harder to learn than I expected.
I need a new Sig...
ultimatetrooper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Hardcore Ghetto Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultimatetrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:49pm

I used to be decent at guitar untill it no longer intrested me. :( Now I want to learn it again because it was auctually fun. I tought my self by playing alot of Metallica. One was the first song I tought my self.

www.guitar-center.com helped me out. Also, if you have any friends who play guitar then you should get with them and play.

Edited by ultimatetrooper
Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:49pm
I just work stuff out on individual notes.  I can play a bunch of jazz stuff like Sing Sing Sing and Birdland.  Go me...
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Cedric Cedric wrote:

Also, if you're doing this to get girls and get money, you make me sick. You might as well just stop playing and get a job.

Money money money!

MONEY!
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Apu Apu wrote:

I know the intro to Sweet Home Alabama. It is harder to learn than I expected.

Yea, I remeber it being quite hard when I started to.  Tyler Hilton's song is alot easier, and somewhat catchier.
Atrosity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atrosity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:52pm
I have a Fender Stratocaster and my amp has overdrive, and since I'd be playing hard rock/ metal, I think I'm good, right?
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Cedric Cedric wrote:

Thats why I started, I see nothing wrong with it.  Whatever reason motivates you is a good reason to play.

I now play whenever I'm bored, sad, happy or anything.  It kinda takes over as a coping mechanism, but whatever reason you start it is fine, as long as it's what you want.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Atrosity Atrosity wrote:

I have a Fender Stratocaster and my amp has overdrive, and since I'd be playing hard rock/ metal, I think I'm good, right?

Somewhat, go pick up a distortion pedal.  Mine is a BOSS, and it gets the more modern green day tone very easily.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic