FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In responce to my bible thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
themovielife View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - Racism

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themovielife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In responce to my bible thread.
    Posted: 19 June 2005 at 12:44am
Like I said in my first thread about me reading the bible, I found a much better one and I think you guys would like it a lot too.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
Heres To You View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:53am
Anyone can distort the bible, it's been done by more than just you.

Try reading the whole parable, not just one verse.

Let me give you a quote from my last paintball adventure.  "I shot him in the face."  If you didn't know the whole story, wouldn't you be misled?

People have been trying to disprove the bible forever, and never have I seen one valid point...
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."
goodsmitty View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Childish Insults 3/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 2:12am

Sounds like your mind's made up, so quit wasting time reading and do something else. Also quit trying to break the faith of others.

atheism and religion have something in common: they should both be practiced behind closed doors. Let your actions prove your beliefs.

"Reading this thread, I'm sad to say that the only difference between the average American and the average Taliban is economic status."
-Zesty

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 3:54am
There has yet to be a valid point proving the bible is correct in all fairness.

Unfortunateky religion isnt practiced behind closed doors and it spills out into the workd affecting those that choose not to be bothered by it and everyone gets offended when the two different beliefs systems collide..

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 5:44am
Question :  If Christians are so blatently forcing people to become Christian then why is it I hardly see ANY posts or people telling people to become Christian but rather a billion athesits saying how much they hate Christians and Christianity and bashing the religion and its followers? 

Rather Hypocritical dont you think?
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:54am
I am not speaking of this forum. I am speaking of the RW.
ie, Jeb and G. W. Bush

Also it doesnt even have to go so far as telling people to be Christian that urks people, but the forcing of others to live up to a Christian standard that isnt nessisary for a happy life.

It is one thing to have a set of personal and moral beliefs, but to make laws and force people to adhere to them, I think is wrong.

When the most powerful people in the world, American president, pope, many others, force their own personal beliefs onto others, people with different ideology are going to be upset and fight back.

Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:44am
Some Christians take it way too far and just piss everyone off.  That's why there's so much conflict about it.  If people would just believe what they believe and not go around shoving it down everyone's throats the world would be a better place.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
fractus.scud View Drop Down
well I have no title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractus.scud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:48am

Originally posted by Heres To You Heres To You wrote:

Anyone can distort the bible, it's been done by more than just you.

Try reading the whole parable, not just one verse.

Let me give you a quote from my last paintball adventure.  "I shot him in the face."  If you didn't know the whole story, wouldn't you be misled?

People have been trying to disprove the bible forever, and never have I seen one valid point...

neither have I.

Benny go home!
wvrunnera5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wvrunnera5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:55am
As a very faithful Christian I would like to say that we beleive we should spread His word. And I know some Christians take that the wrong way. The do "shove it down their throat" and lay it heavily on a non-beleiver, which is almost never the right way to do it. I beleive a good way to do it is by stating what you beleive and not telling the other person thats what they HAVE to do. Just introducing them to a new way of how to do things and hopefully that person is open. And maybe later on that idea grows on them but if not then I feel sorry for that person. But "shoving it down their throat" as some of you say I don't like. I just drives the person further away. I don't know if explained myself right so I hope some of you don't get the wrong idea.
Constipated people don't give a crap!
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 12:06pm
Wow, I'm glad I missed this debate. Good points all around, but it won't lead to any spectacular revelation for anyone. I will just continue to believe in the science that has controlled the universe and it's contents for billions of years.
Heres To You View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Wow, I'm glad I missed this debate. Good points all around, but it won't lead to any spectacular revelation for anyone. I will just continue to believe in the science that has controlled the universe and it's contents for billions of years.

And I respect you more than most people for saying that.  You said what you believe to be true, and didn't insult anyone while doing it. 
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:09pm
There wouldn't be any fight over this if one of them was clear cut. Neither one is proved,a nd I've seen good points for both sides. That said, I believe in Christianity for a reason: I've seen God have a personal relationship with me in my life. I can't make you believe it, I can only show you what I believe.
fractus.scud View Drop Down
well I have no title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractus.scud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:15pm
Thank You! Pariel, that's the what Iv'e been trying to say, or should I say type, all day today. My beliefs exactally. I have a personal relationship with God thus I know he exists, but I can only tell others about this relationship, they have to except God themselves. I mean, do you really think all 3,000 families in my church alone just go? Of course not, weall have a personal relationship with God and except his calling.

Benny go home!
^Pirate^ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ^Pirate^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:17pm

Originally posted by Pariel Pariel wrote:

There wouldn't be any fight over this if one of them was clear cut. Neither one is proved,a nd I've seen good points for both sides. That said, I believe in Christianity for a reason: I've seen God have a personal relationship with me in my life. I can't make you believe it, I can only show you what I believe.

I agree.

Wow, no one mentioned Mel Gibson.

Edited by ^Pirate^

It aint about black or white
becuz we human
I hope we see the light before it's ruined
My ghetto gospel
Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by ^Pirate^ ^Pirate^ wrote:

Originally posted by Pariel Pariel wrote:

I agree.

Wow, no one mentioned Mel Gibson.

I was just about to say that...  And I share the exact same feelings as Pariel and fractus.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
^Pirate^ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ^Pirate^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:35pm

Should we mention it? I will.

I felt the movie explained something deep to me just not very exciting, and I kinda couldn't stay focused, but it was a nice attempt at spreading the word.

It aint about black or white
becuz we human
I hope we see the light before it's ruined
My ghetto gospel
ztbisme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztbisme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by fractus.scud fractus.scud wrote:

. I have a personal relationship with God thus I know he exists, but I can only tell others about this relationship, they have to except God themselves.

That is exactly how it is. I have that relationship with God and it is not something you can merely explain to someone. You can tell them about it all day long but only excepting Jesus as your savior is when you can really feel his presence and know he is real. And I also agree with some other people, as Christians we shouldn't walk around shoving our religion down people throats we should talk with them about it and attempt to lead them down the right path. But it is when we get agressive that people get the wrong idea and walk away from what we are preaching to them.
Hitman View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Why yes, I am JUST THAT cool, thx...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 5:09pm
If Gods existance was proven one day, or if God showed me that s/he existed I would be angry.

I don't understand how one can sit idle while his "children" suffer. If God created the world and us, s/he sure did a terrible job. There are way to many things wrong with the world we live in. He he has the power to create us, why not perfect us?

Why let little children starve to death? Why let his creation be brought to waste by massive corporations? I could go on about every disgusting thing this world does.

I apologize for my severly biased views. This is how I see it. There might be some simple answer to why he doesn't care and I welcome anyone to enlighten me as to why. I am always willing to change my views.

Edited by Hitman
[IMG]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4874/stellatn8.jpg">

madpaintballer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Hitman Hitman wrote:

If Gods existance was proven one day, or if God showed me that s/he existed I would be angry.

I don't understand how one can sit idle while his "children" suffer. If
God created the world and us, s/he sure did a terrible job. There are
way to many things wrong with the world we live in. He he has the power
to create us, why not perfect us?

Why let little children starve to death? Why let his creation be
brought to waste by massive corporations? I could go on about every
disgusting thing this world does.

Thats a great point. In fact, that was the same question that led me to be agnostic. I don't believe all this stuff was just here but the bible talks about a loving god. Where is he?!
"Killing is my business...and business is good."
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 6:04pm
In his eyes. We are perfect, the hunger and strife you see is a direct result from our actions. The world has never been perfect, and it was never meant to be. Bad things happen, in the bible, bad things happened over and over to his most devobted worshipers, this isnt to say that he is uncaring. Think of it this way.

If your son had a bike, would you run after your son making sure he didnt fall? No of course not. You would let him learn through trial and error, get a few bumps and bruises on him till he learns how to ride his bike. God is a lot like this, he doesnt want to run after us making the world perfect, he gave us something he refused his second batch angels, free will. If is our responsiblity to shap this world as we see fit. We have created deserts, swamps, bridges and oceans. We dont care that what happens in one part of the world, effects rest of it. The world today, is our own creation, we have ruined one of the greatest gifts given to us by God. It isnt gods fault that the world is a toilet. Its ours, so dont put it off on god.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic