FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am reading the bible.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
themovielife View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - Racism

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themovielife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am reading the bible.
    Posted: 18 June 2005 at 4:45am
As ironic as it sounds I am.
Now as I read further and further, I am wondering why so many people are buying this. I can't make since of how any of it can be true.

004:015 And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 4:55am
Dont bother with most of the other books from the era then 

The bible, in my opinion, is not to be taken literally.  Its was written by MAN, that always must be remembered.  You take the message from it, not the story.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 10:38am
That means, the guy who killed Cain will have seven times the punishment for what he did.  Therefor, he's screwed.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 11:17am

I hate Jesus Fish.

Smitty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Murdock ... Iím cominí ta get YOU!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Dont bother with most of the other books from the era then 

The bible, in my opinion, is not to be taken literally.  Its was written by MAN, that always must be remembered.  You take the message from it, not the story.
Exactly.  You don't take it literally.  You just have to learn from what he's saying.  He didn't mean go out and kill Cein.  It's very indepth stuff, and it will take you a while to know, but you will understand it at some time.
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 11:53am
It's a bit like Easop's Fables.

You are meant to learn a lesson from the story, and hopefully use that lesson and it's meaning to make yourself a better person.

Unfortunately, most people these days have no desire at all to become a better person.

Nowadays, it's the "If it feels good, do it", "Looking out for #1", "As long as it doesn't harm anyone else", "It's not my problem, so I'm not getting involved" code of conduct from the "ME Generation" that is driving us full tilt down our current societal path.

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem, and the purpose of the Bible, IMHO, was to help create problem solvers, not problem makers.

It's more part of the modern mythology than you might think. Look at Star Wars, for example.

If you follow the way of the Force and deny the Dark Side, then good will prevail, allowing peace and prosperity to propogate.

WWOWD? (What Would Obi-Wan Do?)

Edited by hwayhzrd
If I attack, follow me

If I flee, kill me

If I die, avenge me

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 11:54am
Yeah, I never got how people could believe so fervently in some old book a bunch of old guys wrote and a bunch of corrupt priests/politicians edited that they would base their whole life on it. Personally I see religion as just another way to control people.

Edited by .Ryan

hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 11:57am
Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

Yeah, I never got how people could believe so fervently in some old book a bunch of old guys wrote and a bunch of corrupt priests/politicians edited that they would base their whole life on it. Personally I see religion as just another way to control people.

Don'tcha just love people who are so vigilant in their search for enlightenment?
If I attack, follow me

If I flee, kill me

If I die, avenge me

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 12:03pm
The bible confuses me, so i just obey the ten commandments as best i can and go on my merry way.  And im getting back intoo going to church even though i dont know what hes talking about.  9th grade english has taught me nothing...
lester98c View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
i wish my title was "different"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 12:42pm

i managed to get through 7 years of religion class without reading the bible. but from what they said it sounds to confusing for me

WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by lester98c lester98c wrote:

i managed to get through 7 years of religion class without reading the bible. but from what they said it sounds to confusing for me

Yea, I had to go through 3 years.  I HAD to read though because we had to read 2 chapters a night and there was a 3 question quiz on the reading every day.  The quizes alone made up 50% of your class grade.
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 1:53pm
Here is a little known fact. The bible, has been edited to kingdom come. Literaly. Right now, there are around 40 unpublished books of the bible. Who is to say what they say. I think they are the missing years of Jesus' life. But who is to say.

PS. Im back.
stalker77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stalker77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 1:57pm
yea...theres all this stuff about these un used books of the bible...didnt they find a crap load of em in some cave in the middle east in the early 90's??
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 2:01pm
Yep, they are called the dead sea scrolls. Right now the Holy See is trying to get rid of one of the current books published today. Its called "The Song of Solomon" Its a love story.
BlackDeath7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDeath7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 2:57pm
Of course the Bible is hard to understand, it's the word of God.  That's why there are many sources out there to help people understand its meanings.  Such as bible commentaries, bible dictionaries, bible study classes, etc.  Don't just read something and after thinking for 2 seconds say, "I don't understand it, it's stupid and written by old people who want to control us."  That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.  How about trying to understand something before completely bashing it.

Brett Favre gets sacked again.
Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 6:22pm
What you're referring to there is Kosher law.
madpaintballer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

Here is a little known fact. The bible, has been edited to kingdom come. Literaly. Right now, there are around 40 unpublished books of the bible. Who is to say what they say. I think they are the missing years of Jesus' life. But who is to say.

PS. Im back.

Now I'm not to enlightened on the dead sea scrolls but the reason many books are not part of the bible is because of the "cannon" This is the criteria that has to be met before a book can be considered a book of the bible. If you do a search for it on google you can find some of the criteria needed.
"Killing is my business...and business is good."
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 6:57pm
its not really beleiving as so having faith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by madpaintballer madpaintballer wrote:

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

PS. Im back.

Now I'm not to enlightened on the dead sea scrolls but the reason many books are not part of the bible is because of the "cannon" This is the criteria that has to be met before a book can be considered a book of the bible. If you do a search for it on google you can find some of the criteria needed.

Thank you. I did a search, pretty neat stuff, but the missing books im refering to are the peices of the bible that were removed, since they are holy books the catholic church couldnt snuff them out completely. They remain safe as can be in hermeticly sealed rooms in the vatican vault.
SuperXero View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Gay Slur, 5/8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperXero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

Yeah, I never got how people could believe so fervently in some old
book a bunch of old guys wrote and a bunch of corrupt
priests/politicians edited that they would base their whole life on it.
Personally I see religion as just another way to control people.

I've been born and raised a Roman Catholic, baptised, had my first confession and communion, been confirmed, etc... But have never believed in Jesus or God. This being said, I think the bible, once people stop trying to push fairy tales on me, and start taking it for the moral lesson, is a great book.

And what you were sayign about corrupt politicians etc. There was actually a part of the bible dealing mainly with these people. The Revelations was a highly political book. In a recent discovery of a copy of Revelations, outdating the previous oldest copy by a couple hundred years, it says that the number of the beast is actually 616 as compared to 666, and many researchers are now saying that the beast is not actually referring to Satan, but Caligula, a roman emperor known for persecuting christians, and that numbers were used to refer to political figures so that the authors could not be prosecuted.

Edited by SuperXero
Tenacious and Versatile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic