FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am reading the bible.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by SuperXero SuperXero wrote:

Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

Yeah, I never got how people could believe so fervently in some old
book a bunch of old guys wrote and a bunch of corrupt
priests/politicians edited that they would base their whole life on it.
Personally I see religion as just another way to control people.

I've been born and raised a Roman Catholic, baptised, had my first confession and communion, been confirmed, etc... But have never believed in Jesus or God. This being said, I think the bible, once people stop trying to push fairy tales on me, and start taking it for the moral lesson, is a great book.

And what you were sayign about corrupt politicians etc. There was actually a part of the bible dealing mainly with these people. The Revelations was a highly political book. In a recent discovery of a copy of Revelations, outdating the previous oldest copy by a couple hundred years, it says that the number of the beast is actually 616 as compared to 666, and many researchers are now saying that the beast is not actually referring to Satan, but Nero, a roman emperor, and that numbers were used to refer to political figures so that the authors could not be prosecuted.

Im impresssed, not many people know that. The sign of the beast.. The beast being the roman political machine. Among religious scholars and the clergy, there is a bit of an elephant in the room. We now know that jesus was called the "Way of God" Not the son, never does he say he is the son. And in the origional bible, jesus was not devine. He gained his divinity in Neace, a bunch of people got together to discuss religion, Jesus, yoshewa, the king of the jews, dessended from the the lines of king david and the isrealite tribe of Benjamin, magicaly became devine. The books that displayed jesus as a less devine being, disapeered. Thinking about the missing years of jesus' life? Maybe the fact that he wasnt married? Highly iregular in that time for a jewish man to not take a wife.

Jesus was supposed to be the king of the jews. He was royalty, the profecy called for the savior to come through the line of david, he was a political enemy of the Roman Empire, and the romans were scared of him. His crucifiction was largly political if anything. He was killed in order to quell a rebelion that would look bad under pontious pilot. It would make it look like he couldnt even control one little province. Not a good thing. So, jesus was killed.
madpaintballer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:14pm
I've always wondered about the translations. Like how in english we use the word love but in greek or hebrew (whichever testament it is) there are 3 different words which all mean different things that when translated are all translated into the word love. Kind of makes you wonder about some of the other translations, with the change of a word they could mean something totally different.
"Killing is my business...and business is good."
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:19pm
Bibles fuel the fires of Hell, I like how God forgot to include that in is work. The fuel has to come from somewhere.

Edited by Hades

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:19pm
Yep, the word for virgin means young girl. Love means several different things. Many things we hold to be truths, are false, the true meanings lost forever. If you want to find the truth, its there, but its in latin or greek. The english translations are wrong, and unreliable.
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:27pm
Some of the Bible is literal, but I would say a pretty large portion of it is open to interpretation.

God isn't handing out answers like candy on Halloween-sometimes you have to work hard, and sometimes you just plain can't find out.

Whether it makes sense to you or not-keep reading it, maybe it will.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:28pm
I have a serious question for those that wish to answer it. I promise not reply to the answers with a negative response or retort, I am just curious what people's thoughts on the question is...

Since (most) Christian's believe life starts and the spirit enters the human body at consception, why is it horrible that abortions occur form the 'babies' stand point? Wouldn't the child be sin free and get a free ticket straight to heaven without having to live through the dissapointments and pain that one endures in life?

Just putting the question out there to see what people think. Again I will only to view a response as your opinion/belief and use it only as an educational viewpoint and not try to debate the answer.

Edited by Hades

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:29pm
Correct, a lot of the bible is literal, and it means what it says. But a lot of it is in alegories, because in the jewish faith you couldnt talk directly about god or scripture, so parables were used. The parable of the viniard is my favorite.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

I have a serious question for those that wish to answer it. I promise not reply to the answers with a negative response or retort, I am just curious what people's thoughts on the question is...

Since (most) Christian's believe life starts and the spirit enters the human body at consception, why is it horrible that abortions occur form the 'babies' stand point? Wouldn't the child be sin free and get a free ticket straight to heaven without having to live through the dissapointments and pain that one endures in life?

Just putting the question out there to see what people think. Again I will only to view a response as your opinion/belief and use it only as an educational viewpoint and not try to debate the answer.

You have a point Hades. The child would be guilty of no sin. The concept of "Origional Sin" is a human one. Created by man. The bible says you are responsible for what you know. So, by that, we can infer that if you have never heard the word of god, and you die, you are not held accountable. SO, babies would not go to hell or limbo(another human invention) or purgatory or whatever.

Hades, in short, its Political, religion turned to politics, and it sucks.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:44pm
If, we, for the sake of the point, forgot about he parent's and doctor's breaking of the, "Thou shall not Murder," sin; from the child's perspective and most Christian religion's perspective, looking at the child only, is there anything negative, with the child going straight to heaven and having an eternal life of happiness? If, one says no, than from the kid's perspective is than abortion bad?

Did my question make any sense?

Edited by Hades

Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:47pm
DB has it pretty spot on.

That said, the problem is with taking a life, not anything to do with their sinfullness.

It's a sin to murder-period. Which means abortion is a sin. No matter how much I can see people suffering from the lack of an abortion, most of those people don't die-I'll trade one life for another, but not one life for less pain.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:48pm
Hades, you are really getting into dogmatic teachings of religion, aborted fetuses dont go to hell. They have done nothing wrong. They came to be knowing only life. Not evil.

Edited by DBibeau855
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:49pm
Ahh...I see. Cool poops.

Edited by Pariel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 8:50pm
I edited it, i figured you would think i said "Nope" to you. I agree with you.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 9:05pm
Okay, I have read enough thank you for your thoughts. If more want to chime in I will read your thoughts as well.

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 9:28pm

I used to be quite religious ... until I actually read the Bible, cover to cover.

That pretty much turned me off to Christianity, at least until further notice.

soonerdude05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soonerdude05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

I used to be quite religious ... until I actually read the Bible, cover to cover.

How did reading the Bible turn you off from Christianity?
SuperXero View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Gay Slur, 5/8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperXero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by soonerdude05 soonerdude05 wrote:

The realization of what you are worshipping.
Tenacious and Versatile
SuperXero View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Gay Slur, 5/8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperXero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

Hades, you are really getting into dogmatic teachings of religion, aborted fetuses dont go to hell. They have done nothing wrong. They came to be knowing only life. Not evil.

Actually, my sister would often be found kicking my brother on the ultrasound (yes it WAS on purpose), so she would go to hell, my brother would laugh at her from heaven.
Tenacious and Versatile
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 10:12pm

You either missed the point completely. Or dont know how to read through the crap, to get what is really there and not mistranslations.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2005 at 10:16pm

Essentially.

Once I really understood Christianity, I realized that god, if he exists, has morals that are completely inconsistent with mine.

By my standards, god is not worthy of my admiration, and certainly not worthy of worshop of any kind.

If that means I will burn in hell for eternity, then so be it - I will burn knowing that I held fast to my moral beliefs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic