FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Destruction of America

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

I also find it ironic that Kristofer is calling for the national language to be English but has Latin in his sig.

I am almost ashamed to remark on this.

First I call for a national language in the sense of unity. When I said religion, I could care less. I believe in god. But I dont go to church. I was merely trying to point out that other nations have both and they dont have problems with them. other nations still have people who speak other languages, and have other religions. Maybe I did not explain myself fully.

About the Latin. as pointed out later. I am going to be attending Marine Corps. Recruit Training in Precisely 81 days as of today. Actually it could be sooner as I requested an earlier date so that I can go to Iraq with the Reserve unit I will be joining since they have orders for Iraq in January. Theres a tangent for you.
But Semper Fidelis is Always Faithful as pointed out.

About your remark for our documents written in Latin. I dont know. Latin used to be a prominent langauge and spoken among scholars. Also I believe although I could be mistaken but English is a derivitive (spelling?) of Latin. I merely believe we need more unity in this nation of ours thats all. A National language also wouldnt prevent other people from speaking a different langauge. I just dont like the idea of having Quebecs here in the States. Then there will be less unity and more separation from a langauge barrier. Also it is difficult to learn alanguage but not impossible.

Having a national language would help the "cogs" of society work with less snags.

And English is more of a Germanic language. But through cultural diffusion, the language picked up latin, french, and spanish words and grammatical tendencies.
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 7:51pm

Still nobody has told me what a "National Language" would mean.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 7:52pm
K basicaly, a national language would provide a mandatory language test to become a citezen or get a green card.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

Still nobody has told me what a "National Language" would mean.

Nothing at all. It means "learn it or get out" basically. Since we are the country of understanding and freedom of choice.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 7:57pm
No it doesnt.

Like i always say. Cops, if they are idiots before they get the badge, afterwords, they are just idiots with a badge, wich is worse?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 7:57pm

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

K basicaly, a national language would provide a mandatory language test to become a citezen or get a green card.

I really think you overassume the amount of people that cant speak any english at all. Ive hardly met any, and I live in Florida for christs sake.

What exactilly do you want on this test?

SeaWolf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Doesn’t know who Big Al is...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 7:58pm
...I hate walking into a business and trying to communicate with somebody who can't speak the English language.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 7:59pm

Originally posted by SeaWolf SeaWolf wrote:

...I hate walking into a business and trying to communicate with somebody who can't speak the English language.

Honestly how often does that happen to you?

I can (and do) shop in Mexicano grocerias, and even they know enough English to get the point across.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:03pm

I really think you overassume the amount of people that cant speak any english at all. Ive hardly met any, and I live in Florida for christs sake.

What exactilly do you want on this test?

No im not overassuming anything. If there was a national language, thats what it would mean.

If i were to make up a language test. It would basicaly be a 9th SOL test. SOL meaning standards of learning. High school, or at the very least, elementry school grammar skills, a minumum is required. People dont need to be absolutely fluent in English or "American". All i think that is necesary is for someone to be able to ask "Where is the bathroom?" "My friend is hurt" "Would you like fries with that." And give directions.

These suggestions are not specific, just generalizations. People need to be able to ask basic questions. Forumate an english centence in case of an emergency, and people running stores need to be able to comunicate with patrons. And giving directions is good too.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:04pm

I can (and do) shop in Mexicano grocerias, and even they know enough English to get the point across.

Depending on where you live it can happen quite often. Happens to me all the time. Someone will call wanting to order some car parts. They being a mechanic in a shop. Its not a problem for me, i speak a good deal of spanish. But i can see where it would be a problem.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:07pm

All i think that is necesary is for someone to be able to ask "Where is the bathroom?" "My friend is hurt" "Would you like fries with that." And give directions.

These suggestions are not specific, just generalizations. People need to be able to ask basic questions. Forumate an english centence in case of an emergency, and people running stores need to be able to comunicate with patrons. And giving directions is good too.

Yeah, pretty sure that just about any person immigrating will learn what I call "Working English", or as you said, important words and phrases, in very short time. Heck, I worked with a guy who went from knowing hardly any English at all, to understanding almost everything and being able to speak it pretty darn good in less than 6 months. In a situation where they need it, they will learn it.

Pretty much making the whole "National Language" and forceing them to learn it useless.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:08pm

Depending on where you live it can happen quite often. Happens to me all the time. Someone will call wanting to order some car parts. They being a mechanic in a shop. Its not a problem for me, i speak a good deal of spanish. But i can see where it would be a problem.

They know NO English at all?

Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:09pm

All i think that is necesary is for someone to be able to ask "Where is the bathroom?" "My friend is hurt" "Would you like fries with that." And give directions.

Yeah, pretty sure that just about any person immigrating will learn what I call "Working English", or as you said, important words and phrases, in very short time. Heck, I worked with a guy who went from knowing hardly any English at all, to understanding almost everything and being able to speak it pretty darn good in less than 6 months. In a situation where they need it, they will learn it.

Pretty much making the whole "National Language" and forceing them to learn it useless.

3 kids moved to our school this year. They don't speak english. Why shouldn't they be forced to learn it? Like hell are the other 1700 of us going to learn portugese just to talk to them.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Frozen Balls Frozen Balls wrote:

3 kids moved to our school this year. They don't speak english. Why shouldn't they be forced to learn it? Like hell are the other 1700 of us going to learn portugese just to talk to them.

Well hey, they are moving to your SCHOOL. Bet they will learn English there, ya think?

Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:11pm
It's been 6 months though. Only 1 of them speaks enough to understand. The other two are just punks that cause trouble.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:12pm

Very little. I dont know how much english they know. I never tried to speak enlgish with these guys. It easier for me to blather on in spanish than try english with em.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:14pm

Very little. I dont know how much english they know. I never tried to speak enlgish with these guys. It easier for me to blather on in spanish than try english with em.

Well you said yourself you know enough Espanol to talk with them, where is the problem again?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:16pm
Not everyone knows spanish.
SeaWolf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Doesn’t know who Big Al is...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:16pm

I had some Indian lady cut my hair a few weeks ago... couldn't understand a lot of what she said. I was praying that everything would turn out ok.

Umm... Linksys tech support is useless because most of the representatives are Indian.

Some foreign lady called my work the other day asking for a quote for a clutch for her car. She couldn't understand that we worked on electric motors... not cars.

the list could go on and on... these were from the past 2 months.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 8:18pm

I had some Indian lady cut my hair a few weeks ago... couldn't understand a lot of what she said. I was praying that everything would turn out ok.

Umm... Linksys tech support is useless because most of the representatives are Indian.

Some foreign lady called my work the other day asking for a quote for a clutch for her car. She couldn't understand that we worked on electric motors... not cars.

the list could go on and on... these were from the past 2 months.

Whenever i called linksys, i was very happy. People there were very helpful and knowlegable. And spoke great english. Guess i lucked out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
  Share Topic