Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRap Music

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Poll Question: Is Rap Really Music
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [52.33%]
41 [47.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
[FI_Reigns] View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 13 May 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 113
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 5:38pm

EJP...let me put this in...simple terms:

I'm not racist. I do not group people base solely on any one thing, rather, a combination of things. And a big, huge portion of it, is based on gut feelings (sub-concious possibly) and body language.

When you've done things that seriously harm and cripple other humans and go through some close calls yourself, you begin to see patterns develope. Sex, race, body language, clothing, etc. And guess what? You listen because you realize that it's not worth it, that it hurts to win or lose a fight, and you want to avoid situations like this. In fact, if I have to fight somebody, I messed up real bad because that means I wasn't aware and sensitive enough. If I go into a fight, there is not guarantee that my grouping and generalities will be correct or that my skills will match theirs, or luck may might just be with them and I get hurt. It's playing Russian Roullette by yourself...sure, the first shot didn't go off, but eventually it will. And when you throw things like baseball bats, knives, chains, bottles, and wrenches in the mix, a wrong move can equal a trip to the hospital. And something like %80.00 of fatal head trauma victims walk into the hospital. Sobering?

This is why I group. Because once you've done violent things and been a victim of violence, then you want to protect yourself from it but still live life. This works for me. It gives me a template in which, based on my experiances, I can make a rough estimate on who wants to do what and how bad they want to mess me up, how far/quick they will take things, how to deal with them, etc. This may not work for you. But to judge what works for me based on what works for you is equally narrow-minded. And, judging what someone will or will not do based on what you would and wouldn't do is...a mistake because in a fight, you never know how quickly or far they are willing to take things (a simple fist of cuffs can turn into assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, and maybe murder and thank-God that I have never killed someone).

Sorry this goes off topic, but I felt a need to explain where I'm coming from and my experiances and why I feel the need to use generalities. Please notice I haven't threatened you or anyone that disagrees with me or attempted to brag about my uber-l33t fighting skills. I'm not trying to be a keyboard warrior or internet tough guy. I'm just explaining why I feel the need to use "prejuidices".



Edited by [FI_Reigns]
Rawr...
Back to Top
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 10 May 2003
Location: Virgin Islands
Status: Offline
Points: 12983
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 5:47pm
What the heck did you just say? That didnt make any sense.

Back to Top
Psyrecx View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
Follows in HondaXR’s footsteps...

Joined: 14 April 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 860
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

What the heck did you just say? That didnt make any sense.

I read the first line and got tired.


This sig is brought to you by Psyrecx, thanks to D-Town Balla.
Back to Top
[FI_Reigns] View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 13 May 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 113
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 6:12pm

Short summary:

I've found patterns in violence, race, sex, dress, and body language, and use them fairly effectively to determine if somebody is looking to create a violent situation. This works well for me, so don't bash it because it seems wrong.

Rawr...
Back to Top
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Joined: 30 July 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6120
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by [FI_Reigns [FI_Reigns wrote:

]

Short summary:

I've found patterns in violence, race, sex, dress, and body language, and use them fairly effectively to determine if somebody is looking to create a violent situation. This works well for me, so don't bash it because it seems wrong.

Yeah, its called stereotyping, and it dosent work, and is unhealthy.

GG.


Back to Top
Ejp414 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 13 June 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6483
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by [FI_Reigns [FI_Reigns wrote:

]

EJP...let me put this in...simple terms:

I'm not racist. I do not group people base solely on any one thing, rather, a combination of things. And a big, huge portion of it, is based on gut feelings (sub-concious possibly) and body language.

When you've done things that seriously harm and cripple other humans and go through some close calls yourself, you begin to see patterns develope. Sex, race, body language, clothing, etc. And guess what? You listen because you realize that it's not worth it, that it hurts to win or lose a fight, and you want to avoid situations like this. In fact, if I have to fight somebody, I messed up real bad because that means I wasn't aware and sensitive enough. If I go into a fight, there is not guarantee that my grouping and generalities will be correct or that my skills will match theirs, or luck may might just be with them and I get hurt. It's playing Russian Roullette by yourself...sure, the first shot didn't go off, but eventually it will. And when you throw things like baseball bats, knives, chains, bottles, and wrenches in the mix, a wrong move can equal a trip to the hospital. And something like %80.00 of fatal head trauma victims walk into the hospital. Sobering?

This is why I group. Because once you've done violent things and been a victim of violence, then you want to protect yourself from it but still live life. This works for me. It gives me a template in which, based on my experiances, I can make a rough estimate on who wants to do what and how bad they want to mess me up, how far/quick they will take things, how to deal with them, etc. This may not work for you. But to judge what works for me based on what works for you is equally narrow-minded. And, judging what someone will or will not do based on what you would and wouldn't do is...a mistake because in a fight, you never know how quickly or far they are willing to take things (a simple fist of cuffs can turn into assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, and maybe murder and thank-God that I have never killed someone).

Sorry this goes off topic, but I felt a need to explain where I'm coming from and my experiances and why I feel the need to use generalities. Please notice I haven't threatened you or anyone that disagrees with me or attempted to brag about my uber-l33t fighting skills. I'm not trying to be a keyboard warrior or internet tough guy. I'm just explaining why I feel the need to use "prejuidices".



While I don't agree with the practicality or the logic of that method, I won't argue against it. To each his own, and at least you had the dignity to make a nice job of explaining your ideas maturely.
__________________
__________________

Back to Top
Astroman1296 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
1 strike, language. 5/20

Joined: 07 April 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 8:04pm

Originally posted by PlentifulBalls PlentifulBalls wrote:

Originally posted by Zoso Zoso wrote:

^ that post shows your immaturity


Maybe if your friend wasn't a complete moron, this thread would have some credibility left.

if he hasn't noticed, not all rap is what he says it is. All he knows is generic radio rap. Probably only kinda classic rock he knows is generic radio rock.

And i dont see whats so great about stairway to heaven.


<EDIT>

Oh, and i'm not a fan of cda, but how does that post show his immaturity? You've got nothing and are pulling insults outta your ass.

 

It was Zoso who started this post not me you caitiff!!!!  READ!!

Workin From Seven to Eleven every night
It really makes life a drag
I dont think thats right
Ive really been the best of fools
Since Ive Been Lovin You
Im about to loose my worried mind
Back to Top
PlentifulBalls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Tons of em’

Joined: 14 July 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9800
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 8:43pm
No. Way.

Except, you're the genius who spazzed out about rap. And niether you nor Zoso have told me what rap artists/groups you have heard.

sporx wrote:
well...ya i prolly will be a virgin till i'm at least 30.
Back to Top
Astroman1296 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
1 strike, language. 5/20

Joined: 07 April 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 8:48pm

Ok Plenti I have a brother he likes rap he has the car and I don't and we listen to whatever he wants to listen so....there are pretty much all the R&B and "rap" stuff on the radio.....so whatver that is.....like The Game,Jay-Z,50 Cent,Petey Pablo,Lil John,etc.....

Workin From Seven to Eleven every night
It really makes life a drag
I dont think thats right
Ive really been the best of fools
Since Ive Been Lovin You
Im about to loose my worried mind
Back to Top
PlentifulBalls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Tons of em’

Joined: 14 July 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9800
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Astroman1296 Astroman1296 wrote:

Ok Plenti I have a brother he likes rap he has the car and I don't and we listen to whatever he wants to listen so....there are pretty much all the R&B and "rap" stuff on the radio.....so whatver that is.....like The Game,Jay-Z,50 Cent,Petey Pablo,Lil John,etc.....



Too bad thats all generic mindless rap. Ever hear of Atmosphere?

Didn't think so.


sporx wrote:
well...ya i prolly will be a virgin till i'm at least 30.
Back to Top
BLand View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
Guested - Complete idiocy

Joined: 29 July 2003
Location: Vatican City State
Status: Offline
Points: 2360
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 8:54pm
Main stream rap sucks. I love rap music but the stuff on the radio and tv blows.
Back to Top
BLand View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
Guested - Complete idiocy

Joined: 29 July 2003
Location: Vatican City State
Status: Offline
Points: 2360
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 8:55pm
Main stream rap sucks. I love rap music but the stuff on the radio and tv blows.
Back to Top
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Official Box Hoister

Joined: 28 June 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 9201
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 9:17pm
I am just going to throw these Lyrics out there. I like them. Not Mainstream and they actually mean something:


"They say the rebels in Iraq still fight for Saddam
But thatís BS, Iíll show you why itís totally wrong
Cuz if another country invaded the hood tonight
Itíd be warfare through Harlem and Washington Heights
I wouldnít be fightiní for Bush or White Americaís dream
Iíd be fightiní for my peopleís survival and self-esteem"

I just happen to like these ones when looking at the internet:

"Some cowards on the internet didn't think I would sell
scared to talk in person, cuz they stuck in a shell
and couldn't understand the pain of being stuck in a cell"

Que pasa?


Back to Top
cdacda13 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Yes, spelled secual.

Joined: 12 September 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 7951
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Astroman1296 Astroman1296 wrote:

Ok Plenti I have a brother he likes rap he has the car and I don't and we listen to whatever he wants to listen so....there are pretty much all the R&B and "rap" stuff on the radio.....so whatver that is.....like The Game,Jay-Z,50 Cent,Petey Pablo,Lil John,etc.....


Well, thats your problem right there. All those rappers do suck.

Check out Talib Kweli.
Also, on page 5 or 6, me and gatyr listed some good rappers.
Back to Top
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Joined: 30 July 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6120
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 9:39pm

Sublime rapped  [slightly edited]

"Cause everybody in the hood has had it up to here
It's getting harder, and harder, and harder each and every year
Some kids went in a store with their mother
I saw her when she came out she was gettin' some Pampers
They said it was for the black man
They said it was for the mexican
But not for the white man
But if you look at the streets, it wasn't about Rodney King
It's this messed-up situation and these messed-up police
It's about comin' up and stayin' on top
And screamin' 1-8-7 on a mother freakin' cop
It's ain't in the paper, it's on the wall
National guard
Smoke from all around"

Hell, even The Clash started rapping songs...

"orbiting your living room,
cashing in the bill of rights
cuban army surplus or refusing all third lights
this is radio clash on pirate satellite

this sound does not subscribe
to the international plan
in the psycho shadow of the white right hand
then that see ghettology as an urban viet nam
giving deadly exhibitions of murder by napalm

this is radio clash tearing up the seven veils
this is radio clash please save us, not the whales
this is radio clash underneath a mushroom cloud
this is radio clash
you don't need that funeral shroud"



Back to Top
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Official Box Hoister

Joined: 28 June 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 9201
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2005 at 9:46pm
"They said it was for the black man
They said it was for the mexican
But not for the white man
But if you look at the streets, it wasn't about Rodney King"

That is my favorite verse(I guess?) ever. It is just so true for so many things even though it applies to only one.
Que pasa?


Back to Top
Astroman1296 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
1 strike, language. 5/20

Joined: 07 April 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by PlentifulBalls PlentifulBalls wrote:

Originally posted by Astroman1296 Astroman1296 wrote:

Ok Plenti I have a brother he likes rap he has the car and I don't and we listen to whatever he wants to listen so....there are pretty much all the R&B and "rap" stuff on the radio.....so whatver that is.....like The Game,Jay-Z,50 Cent,Petey Pablo,Lil John,etc.....



Too bad thats all generic mindless rap. Ever hear of Atmosphere?

Didn't think so.

Plenti you tell me right now what is the difference MUSICALLY,  between radio rap and Atmosphere and all of their buddies????

Workin From Seven to Eleven every night
It really makes life a drag
I dont think thats right
Ive really been the best of fools
Since Ive Been Lovin You
Im about to loose my worried mind
Back to Top
Zoso View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
Strike 1. Oh, the irony....

Joined: 27 April 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 102
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 12:50pm

It appears that the answer requires a lesser mind so I have asked around for a better way to put this. Your thoughts seemed to have come from the Internet because your previous posts have nowhere near as much intelligence as your recent one. It strikes me as mysterious that all of a sudden you've become the heir of Einstein. I find it hard to believe that after 12 hours someone so dull and irrelevant can become a master thesis writer. No I am not easily proven wrong. To me debating is like playing a game of chess. I like to wait to see what people say first before I respond. Since youíre so smart I'm sure you've heard of this before. I believe the next question will soon enough be adequately answered. I prefer not to waste my time to try to prove you wrong so I will say the following.

Now it is my turn to ask you some questions. Why do you say that classical piano is overrated? Because it is to complicated for you to understand the complexity and orderliness of the music. We live in a world of chaos now and everything is so fast paced. You can make a meal for yourself in 2 min. by putting it in the microwave. Yes I was once in a jazz band and I too play trumpet along with Astroman who is a close friend of mine. I believe that playing a prelude and fugue is a lot more difficult then improving a solo. Especially since the music of that era was so much more complicated then jazz. Rachmaninov's Concerto number 3 is one of my favorite masterpieces. It is truly an amazing work of art and Jazz pails in comparison to something so monumental and powerful. Have you ever heard of Andras Shiff? Iím sure you havenít so let me explain. My father who is an avid lover of classical music owns this cd. Now when I listened to it I thought nothing of it. When I started to actually play the fugues (pieces with more then one melody) I noticed they were quite different then the actual writing and transcriptions. He had actually improved some of the fugue. Now Bach, of course, was the master at making fugues everyone knows this. Some of these songs are so complicated your brain actually cannot comprehend it if one looks deeper. I know for certain that much more creativity and skill was required to write Fantasy Impromptu then If the Shew Fits. Jazz music was never played for Queens or Written for Kings. Very good point popularity does not affect the artistís talent. However, once again you put words into my mouth. Popularity is how people perceived the music. While the rolling stones were doing their interviews with the media Led Zeppelin was getting involved into their music. I doubt they care what people thought of them they just loved their music and that is all that matters. I don't care if you are a 3 year old kid or Neil Peart if the kid loves music more then Iíd much rather listen to passion. Have you any idea how many media interviews Led Zeppelin had? Little very few, they were despised by the media.

The Beatles were influential to modern music like The Backstreet Boys and N Sync. Admit it they were the first boy band. I love them a lot but they really gave the idea that "sexy" people can be popular. Comparing Yellow Submarine to Heartbreaker is insane. Led Zeppelin influenced bands like Black Sabbath and more heavy rock bands. I'd rather listen to Megadeth then N Sync. I mean I don't know about you because you seem a little weird but thatís my opinion. They did explore a lot of different styles and are truly a great band. John Paul Jones plays every single string instrument that he knows of. It is rumored that he learns a new one every month. While yes Led Zeppelin were not as great of songwriters as the Beatles but songs like Kashmir are lyrical masterpieces. Yes they were the greater musicians and the greater band. Here is my proof

In 1969, when Led Zeppelin come out with their first album they instantly surpassed the Beatles. They took the light from the Beatles from their first Album. Also, the only reason the Beatles sold more albums then Led Zeppelin is because they were a band 5 or so years before Led Zeppelin even was. They sold so many albums because the fans loved them. Last I check the fans arenít the Media.

Classical music didn't affect modern music. You must be on some sort of drugs. Most of the instruments used today in "modern music" were invented in the classical period of music. I don't know how much more I can prove you wrong here but Iíll spare you. DIVERSE INSTRUMENTATION HAVE YOU EVER HEARD A SYMPHONY OR A CONCERTO. Stupidity is a waste of bandwidth; it utilized every single instrument known at the time. Todayís music sucks horrible I don't know how you can say it is for the better. But coming from a guy who s obsessed with rap music I guess I know were your false remarks come from.

I play piano (Classical, Jazz) Trumpet (Classical Jazz) Guitar (Rock)

Dabbled with the following Sax, Drums, Bass Guitar

I called it rap music because I have no other name for it, would you like me to call it yiddle. Would that be better what the hell do you want me to call it? Thatís what everyone else calls it. I already defined music so save your fingers. The USE OF MELODY HARMONY RYTHYM AND TIMBRE well our out on the first two so I guess you fail yet again. Just to clarify something R&B and Rap are different.

Youíre telling me to get a life. Mr. 5000 posts you live at your computer. I have friends, I have a girlfriend, I have a job, I actually PAINTBALL. So if anyone needs to get a life its you. Lets post a picture of yourself and see if you really are a pimpled-faced teenager. Itís easy to say it then have it actually be true. Iím willing to bet that if I had Down syndrome Iíd still be smarter then you.

PS This post refers to EJP's post sentence-by-sentence, in case any of you weren't able to catch that fact.

OWNED!



Edited by Zoso
All I see turns to brown
As the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand
As I scan this wasted land
Tryin to find where i've been
Back to Top
Astroman1296 View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
1 strike, language. 5/20

Joined: 07 April 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 12:52pm

WELL SAID LAD.....EJP414 YOU GOT OWNED!!!!

Workin From Seven to Eleven every night
It really makes life a drag
I dont think thats right
Ive really been the best of fools
Since Ive Been Lovin You
Im about to loose my worried mind
Back to Top
PlentifulBalls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Tons of em’

Joined: 14 July 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9800
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 1:18pm
you probably just copy/pasted all of that.

Whoops...i pulled a Zoso.

sporx wrote:
well...ya i prolly will be a virgin till i'm at least 30.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.156 seconds.