FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Call me Irish American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
MT. Vigilante View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

racism is un-american?... thats why it was around soooo much in our history...

its wrong... but i really wouldn't say that it is "un-american"

Yes it is un-American, something that is un-American is something that Americans should not do and the government should not support, racism is just that. So if we use your logic, we should all be racist.

Join the XP Re-Revolution!
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by WGP guy WGP guy wrote:

Have you ever noticed on the school tests (like the state ones) when it asks race it has: White, African American, Hispanic, Multiracial, other.

Why are we white???

Because those are the words people use.  If people actually started referring to themselves as "caucasian", the forms would change.  "White" is still the normal word.

Simple.

Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:43pm

Originally posted by MT. Vigilante MT. Vigilante wrote:

What I was saying is that Americans should all have to be able to speak American.

Why?

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:43pm

Yes it is un-American, something that is un-American is something that Americans should not do and the government should not support, racism is just that. So if we use your logic, we should all be racist.

so why did the gov't support it up to about... oh 35 years ago...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

No no, you misunderstood me, I donít think anyone should speak American and American only, you should be allowed to speak any language you want. What I was saying is that Americans should all have to be able to speak American.

And if your American parents didn't bother to teach you English, then you get kicked out of the country?  Have your citizenship revoked?

Bump to me because I got cut off on the page.

WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:44pm

Originally posted by WGP guy WGP guy wrote:

Have you ever noticed on the school tests (like the state ones) when it asks race it has: White, African American, Hispanic, Multiracial, other.

Why are we white???

Because those are the words people use.  If people actually started referring to themselves as "caucasian", the forms would change.  "White" is still the normal word.

Simple.

good point

Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:45pm

No no, you misunderstood me, I donít think anyone should speak American and American only, you should be allowed to speak any language you want. What I was saying is that Americans should all have to be able to speak American.

And if your American parents didn't bother to teach you English, then you get kicked out of the country?  Have your citizenship revoked?

No, you just require that they are taught American when they go to school.

And by the way, as Americans we do not speak English, we speak American. Ask any English teacher or linguistics expert, American and English are two different languages.

Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:47pm

so why did the gov't support it up to about... oh 35 years ago...

Because they were wrong, plain and simple.

Originally posted by tia qwon do tia qwon do wrote:

MT. Vigilante wrote:
What I was saying is that Americans should all have to be able to speak American.

Why?

So we all can understand each other in order to be nation.

Edited by MT. Vigilante
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:48pm
vigilante needs the title "Capt. America"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:51pm

So home schooling is out, unless I agree to teach my kids English?

Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:52pm
How about I call you an ignorant fool? It's fits you better.

Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:54pm

So home schooling is out, unless I agree to teach my kids English?

No, I have to admit that I havenít thought about that one enough, but you must agree that we cannot be one nation if we donít speak the same language.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:56pm

Why?  Many countries (including the US) don't all speak the same language.

There was never a time in US history when everybody spoke the same language.  Not a single day.  We seem to have managed somehow...

DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:56pm
The french have strict standards as far as citizenship is concerned, you must pass a language test. This would be a good thing for the US. As far as state of emergencies are concerned, traffic stops, and overall easyness is concerned, it would be great.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:58pm
i don't know... i consider myself to speak english... thats what all my teachers and proffesors have called it so far... so thats what i'm going to call it. 

Granted, we americanized the language a bit... but its still english. 

Calling it american is like calling french toast and french fries freedom toast and fries... which i find rediculous. 

Edited by procarbinefreak
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:59pm

Citizenship is all well and fine...   But millions of people live in the US (legally) who are not citizens...   Are we going to impose language requirements on them also?

Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:59pm

Why?  Many countries (including the US) don't all speak the same language.

There was never a time in US history when everybody spoke the same language.  Not a single day.  We seem to have managed somehow...

Well, look at our military, you have to speak American in order to be in it because you canít fallow orders if you donít know what your commander is saying.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 6:00pm

Well, look at our military, you have to speak American in order to be in it because you canít fallow orders if you donít know what your commander is saying.

Sure - there are many benefits to English skills, and many jobs where it is a requirement.  That is seriously different, however, from saying that you flat out have to speak English.

Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 6:02pm

Citizenship is all well and fine...   But millions of people live in the US (legally) who are not citizens...   Are we going to impose language requirements on them also?

If theyíre not citizens then they are not Americans, you have to be able to vote in order to be a citizen, or visa versa. And in order to be an underage citizen your parents must be citizens.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 6:13pm
Even if we all spoke "English," I still would not be able to understand half the words spoken by someone with an accent different than mine. Ever hear a conversation between a person with a Southern accent, a texas Drawl, a New England/ Boston Accent and a New York accent and someone that is from the West Coast/Oakland area they will all sound different and will be hard to under stand.

Edited by Hades
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic