FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Call me Irish American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Dazed View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Romped around naked in thorn bushes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 2:50pm
Most of us do, Vigilante. But it isn't my right to tell those that want to show their heritage, no matter how muddy(or clear) that water is, that they are wrong, stupid, and damaging our country by being different.

A question for bugg: Why do you call yourself a republican, and not just a voter? After all, aren't all parties just groups of one common, American voter?

And really, don't you think that the political wars are far more dividing(and damaging) to our country than any bouts of cultural freedom?
WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by MT. Vigilante MT. Vigilante wrote:

I think American should be considered a new ethnic race, because Americans are the most diverse people on the planet, and it is starting to get confusing. Take me for example, I am an Anglo-German-Finnish-Scottish-French-Indian-American, so what do I put for my ethnenticity? For this reason I believe that any American citizen who’s family has lived in this country for at least four generations, and is a Heinz 57 like me, I believe that they’re ethnenticity should be considered American and nothing else.

Depends, if the color of your skin is white, put white.  If its black, put black, if its in between, put multi-racial.  Its just that simple.
MT. Vigilante View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by WGP guy WGP guy wrote:

I think American should be considered a new ethnic race, because Americans are the most diverse people on the planet, and it is starting to get confusing. Take me for example, I am an Anglo-German-Finnish-Scottish-French-Indian-American, so what do I put for my ethnenticity? For this reason I believe that any American citizen who’s family has lived in this country for at least four generations, and is a Heinz 57 like me, I believe that they’re ethnenticity should be considered American and nothing else.

Depends, if the color of your skin is white, put white.  If its black, put black, if its in between, put multi-racial.  Its just that simple.

I don’t think color matters, just as long as you are a combination of many different ethnic races and all of your emediate family is American citizens, then your race should be American and nothing else.

Join the XP Re-Revolution!
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:22pm
meh... i'd much rather consider myself czech and whatever else i have in me  and not american... those are my roots.

the US is a very very young country compared to where we all came from.

Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

I don't think anybody is saying "don't call me 'American'".

Speak for yourself.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:25pm
too bad the living conditions on a lot of reservations are similar to 2.5 world countries
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:26pm

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

too bad the living conditions on a lot of reservations are similar to 2.5 world countries

Thats not our faults at all....

Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:30pm

Originally posted by Dazed Dazed wrote:

Most of us do, Vigilante. But it isn't my right to tell those that want to show their heritage, no matter how muddy(or clear) that water is, that they are wrong, stupid, and damaging our country by being different.

A question for bugg: Why do you call yourself a republican, and not just a voter? After all, aren't all parties just groups of one common, American voter?

And really, don't you think that the political wars are far more dividing(and damaging) to our country than any bouts of cultural freedom?

I don’t think that being different in general is damaging, in fact that is what makes us Americans, we are different, a melting pot. But there are certain things that are extremely damaging and un-American, for example: Racism is wrong and un-American, as well as damaging, and I also believe that we as Americans should all be able to speak American ( not English, and yes, most countries, colleges, and linguistic experts agree that American and English are two different languages.) because we may all have our own “mini- cultures” but what makes us one nation, is one language.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:33pm

and I also believe that we as Americans should all be able to speak American ( not English, and yes, most countries, colleges, and linguistic experts agree that American and English are two different languages.) because we may all have our own “mini- cultures” but what makes us one nation, is one language.

Well thats just not true. The beauty in America is the ability to speak whatever language you darn well please.

What exactilly do you prepose to make everyone speak "American"?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:34pm
racism is un-american?... thats why it was around soooo much in our history...

its wrong... but i really wouldn't say that it is "un-american"
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:34pm

Where did the language come from all of a sudden...?

Is this the part where this thread derails into "OMGZOZRZ t3h wetbax mut lern gud englsish!!11!!"?

(Not to get ahead of myself or anything...)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:35pm

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

lol - "Racism - it's the American Way!!  "

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:37pm

Where did the language come from all of a sudden...?

Is this the part where this thread derails into "OMGZOZRZ t3h wetbax mut lern gud englsish!!11!!"?

(Not to get ahead of myself or anything...)

Yeah, and somebody shares a story that their friends uncle's buddy going to McDonalds and nobody speaking English...Even though that has never happened once....

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:38pm

Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

lol - "Racism - it's the American Way!!  "

heh... it was up to about 30-40 years ago

Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Tae Kwon Do Tae Kwon Do wrote:

and I also believe that we as Americans should all be able to speak American ( not English, and yes, most countries, colleges, and linguistic experts agree that American and English are two different languages.) because we may all have our own “mini- cultures” but what makes us one nation, is one language.

Well thats just not true. The beauty in America is the ability to speak whatever language you darn well please.

What exactilly do you prepose to make everyone speak "American"?

No no, you misunderstood me, I don’t think anyone should speak American and American only, you should be allowed to speak any language you want. What I was saying is that Americans should all have to be able to speak American.

WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:39pm
Have you ever noticed on the school tests (like the state ones) when it asks race it has: White, African American, Hispanic, Multiracial, other.

Why are we white???
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:39pm

Is it just me, or is the "English-only" crowd disproportionately represented by people who could use a few English lessons themselves...?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:40pm
well that would be discrimination...

directed to vigilante's comment about having to be able to speak "american" if they are an "american"... honestly... i'm willing to bet most american citizens are able to speak english... hell... most people from other countries with other main languages speak english... and trust me... i think it's close enough to "american" for all of us to understand

Edited by procarbinefreak
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:40pm
*Reminds himself he is not allowed to rant*

*EDIT* By the way, you guys should know before reading this, that I haven't read any previous posts, except the very first one. Also, keeping it short only worked a little bit...it's not really short.

I'm going to try to keep this short:

People are way too worried about their ethnicity. Period. Just what I've noticed. I'm Czech, Greek, German, and a bunch of other random stuff which is really too small to count. My mother is a 2nd generation American. Her parents moved here from Czechloslovakia(I bet I butchered that, but it's unimportant) and Greece. I'm personally very attached to both my Czech and Greek roots, and my German heritage is important to me because I'm proud of the culture that has been Germany since the time of Jesus and the Roman Empire(doesn't even deserve it's "Holy"). That doesn't mean I see war everytime someone talks about one of those countries-because I'm American. Whether I want to be or not, I'm stuck with it. I'm proud of my country, and I don't think age has a single thing to do with it. If you want to talk about young countries, why aren't we talking about Germany, almost all of the Middle Eastern countries, or for that matter, Africa. None of them have existed in the forms they exist in now as long as we have. Age has nothing to do with power. We(Americans) live in the most powerful country on the face of the Earth. No one is debating that, even when they debate how right or wrong we are. Mostly, Americans don't think about what they have become by coming here-so think about it. Whether you're Irish, South African, Japanese or Serbian-if you live in America, you're American.

Stop taking it for granted.

Edited by Pariel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:41pm

No no, you misunderstood me, I don’t think anyone should speak American and American only, you should be allowed to speak any language you want. What I was saying is that Americans should all have to be able to speak American.

And if your American parents didn't bother to teach you English, then you get kicked out of the country?  Have your citizenship revoked?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic