Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iím Back! New pics2 (proof of concept)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
SnakeEyes View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnakeEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2005 at 3:28am
Concept or not, its the fact that a half hour of Bondo work could have resolved all problems with the body imperfections and 5 minutes with a sharp knife could make the grips look correct.

I am a stickler for perfection, and when I see stuff like that I think someone just got lazy. I am not absolved of this myself either.
Which falls faster, a lead ball or your IQ after reading some of these posts?

PSU Paintball

bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2005 at 1:41pm
ugh, its hideous!
Jefangel View Drop Down
MILSIM Custom Work Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 12:23am
Snakeeyes! OUCH!
      Actually, Quite a bit of work went into what you see...including a trip to the hospital! I started with a really hard steel type resin, this turned out to be not only poisonous, but incredibly caustic (ate right through my floor!), then I moved to Bondo...bondo turned out to be too fragile to make a working marker out of..it would work as a "fake" or a non-working PoC, but not a working model...I felt it was really important to have a working Proof of concept to show that the concept "works" and that it is useful in the field...so I kept working. Finally I found the Poly-carbinate...it is actually close to a fiber-glass...VERY strong, very resilient, NOT very friendly to work with...I spent hours with a sander on that thing! Unfortunately, the "scratches" and "holes" are actually in the layers...so as I would sand one section smooth, another "scratch" would reveal itself...it was very annoying and I was pushed for time in that the "big game" season was upon me...so, I gotta say snakeeyes, I agree with you...it could be a lot "cleaner" but I ran out of time...if I had another A-5 or the time to tear this one apart and start over...I guarentee that it would look better...

But is serves its purpose...the concept works, the "proof" is in the playing. I can stand behind a bunker or tree with the gun already pointing at the enemy. I can slide to the side keeping myself within 6 inches of the bunker and fire...I do not have to swing the marker around the bunker. In most situations I can beat whoever I am up against to the shot and get them as they are swinging their marker from their bunker. It takes both standard "straight" barrels as well as flatlines, so I can use it for both speed and woods ball (although I prefer woodsball)...in all the "proof of concept" does what it is supposed to do....but yes...I wish it were a little "prettier". LOL

However, I was working on the true prototype again on monday night...I am about 3/4 of the way towards an actual aluminum set of reciever halves....THOSE will be clean, those will be perfect and if I did my job right...it will be a working prototype. Basically that is why I call this a Proof of Concept (or Poc) rather than a prototype...I will definitely post pictures of the prototpye once it is complete. I will also be using it in the games I play in.

And yes, I am hoping I am going to be around for a while again.

Identity Crisis Team Leader
Team Identity Crisis Home
Jefangel View Drop Down
MILSIM Custom Work Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 12:32am
Oh, and BTW, Bondo doesn't stick to it....tried that :) It just flakes off. If given the chance I will definitely clean it up some more though (have to use the original poly-carbinate stuff...which is nasty...dries in five minutes (so you need to mold it quickly after mixing) and is incredibly hard!! (went through a tone of sanding disks as well as blades cutting the darned stuff!). Problem is, I work my job during the day...work on the prototype every monday night, have volleyball tuesday and thursday, usually work late or go out with the guys on wednesday, spend friday night with the girlfriend (although that sometimes turns into saturday and saturday night also)...which leaves my weekends (usually sunday)....but we have been playing most weekends! besides...I have been putting all my time into the actual prototype.

But no worries...the final is going to be beautiful!   

Mistrhandyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mistrhandyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 1:08am
being a modder my self (Tho i cant seem to find mine on this site anylonger.) ( guess its been a long time) I thing this is one of the more outstanding Mods i have seen in a long time. Well done mate. I marked your site as a fave, I want one of these just to see how you did it.
Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 7:55am
Man...  That's insane!  I remember when somebody tried to do that with a 98 but wound up butchering it instead.  Great job!
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 10:08am
Do it to a 98... I dare you.

please               lol
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
SnakeEyes View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnakeEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 10:36am
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Sorry to be such a negative nancy there then. I did not realize that Bondo wasn't working.

But I should ask, what kind of Bondo were you using, the typical car body metal adhesion Bondo (normally red hardener with a gray putty) or the fiberglass resin (normally bluer putty with blue hardener)?

The blue stuff should stick as it is designed for anything that is a polymer, like what you used to make the protos.

PSU Paintball

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 2:33pm
/me still standing in line to order with breath held.

I would also like to order from Thompsonshooter as well but I need to save a little more money first to afford my paintball expenses.

Jefangel View Drop Down
MILSIM Custom Work Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 5:53pm
I should see if I can find the blue stuff...I tried the stuff that is supposed to bond to metal...but it was too brittle. You see the grip holds the entire weight of the marker including the hopper...a stock handle (a-5, 98, etc) is made quite sturdy for this reason...this one carries the weight of a standard marker plus the additional weight of what I added...my first PoC actually broke off at the handle my first time attempting to "use" it. This one has now gone through several days of all day play (running, jumping, pushing through brush, climbing, banging it against trees..etc) it has held up quite well! :)

Can you get the blue stuff at home-depot? Do you know what it is called?

SnakeEyes View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnakeEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2005 at 3:54pm
The blue stuff is also made by Bondo, but it is called fiberglass body filler. Should have a boat on the label instead of a car. As for where you can purchase it, I believe I have seen it at Lowe's so I would assume that Home Depot would also carry it. If you cannot find it there, try here or check out Bondo-Online to get a list of all of their fillers that would be applicable to your job. The first one I listed however should be the correct one, but I could be wrong as I have not used it in quite some time, so I am going off of fuzzy memory on what the label looked like.

PSU Paintball

x-mo-x View Drop Down
strike 3, language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x-mo-x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2005 at 4:14pm

Originally posted by SnakeEyes SnakeEyes wrote:

Concept or not, its the fact that a half hour of Bondo work could have resolved all problems with the body imperfections and 5 minutes with a sharp knife could make the grips look correct.

I am a stickler for perfection, and when I see stuff like that I think someone just got lazy. I am not absolved of this myself either.

OK then mister big shot you make us a gun like that within the time he took to make hes i wana see if you can make something like hes last concep!!!!

OH and if you cant i have only one thing to say for that comment SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!  that about sayes it all!!!

Eyes up this one's for you!!! Brought to you by the Canadian Guy!!!
BlackDeath7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDeath7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2005 at 5:19pm
Wish I had the time to customize guns...

Brett Favre gets sacked again.
SnakeEyes View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnakeEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2005 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by x-mo-x x-mo-x wrote:

Originally posted by SnakeEyes SnakeEyes wrote:

Concept or not, its the fact that a half hour of Bondo work could have resolved all problems with the body imperfections and 5 minutes with a sharp knife could make the grips look correct. I am a stickler for perfection, and when I see stuff like that I think someone just got lazy. I am not absolved of this myself either.

OK then mister big shot you make us a gun like that within the time he took to make hes i wana see if you can make something like hes last concep!!!!

OH and if you cant i have only one thing to say for that comment SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! that about sayes it all!!!

Oh noes, I haved been putted in my place.

As you must have not read, I said that I was impressed with the idea, but I felt that the lack of attention to detail detracted too much from the gun.

As for challenging me to do what he does in his time frame (of which I do not have much info on) that is comical in itself. I do not, nor do I ever plan to make Mil-Sim designs.

I have scrapped lesser projects for lack of attention to detail.

My main issue here was that he obviously put a lot of time into this, and it appeared that at the end he just got lazy. The problem there is that is the difference between a pro and some backyard squid, detail. The higher the quality of attention paid to detail, the higher the quality of the final product.

PSU Paintball

rempel_70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rempel_70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2005 at 11:40pm
Will it be available in canada .......... i love it
somnambulated View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote somnambulated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 2:03am
Wow... Very nice! I just wish you had something for my 98 custom...
Spot1st View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spot1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 12:58pm

Where can I purchace your already made markers?

RAR!!!
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2005 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Trogdor2 Trogdor2 wrote:

Man...  That's insane!  I remember when somebody tried to do that with a 98 but wound up butchering it instead.  Great job!

That was me...Would have been cool but my stupid shop teacher effed up the welds.

Im diggin this pup a-5.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
A-5 Command View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 Command Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2005 at 12:27am
cut out a part of the stock so u can look down the sight and open it up a little more behind the hole in it and it will look very sick, u might also want to put the end of a fake mag sticking out of the botom and it will look like some futuristic sub machine gun
A-5
Flatline
E-Grip
Tapco T-6 stock
JCS Duel Trigger
JCS Universal BiPod
Core Remote
88ci/4500psi Crossfire
R-5 Hopper
Apex Barrel
Hot Shot red dot
Lapco offset
Spec Ops A5-A2 grip
Spot1st View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spot1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Spot1st Spot1st wrote:

Where can I purchace your already made markers?

RAR!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic