Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

paintball silencers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jonsblckhwk View Drop Down

Strike 1 Though he was original and cute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonsblckhwk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 12:32am

uh...i live in the middle of nowhere...

you can and do get away with anything here...

the police are useless unless it comes to harassing people

sassoldier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Jonsblckhwk Jonsblckhwk wrote:

uh...i live in the middle of nowhere...

you can and do get away with anything here...

the police are useless unless it comes to harassing people

lol thats pretty cool...
FyreFly View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FyreFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 3:48am
Originally posted by tippynewb tippynewb wrote:

can u just use one for looks like the big machine
gun ends? i tried and it didn't change the sound at all

A "Fake" suppressor that does not muffle the sound of a firearm or
paintball gun is NOT illegal. What does make it illegal is if it is a
functioning suppressor and will muffle the report of a firearm.

System X NME LE
WGP Orracle Cocker
Tippmann A-5 E-Grip & LPK
Tippmann 98C Flatline & LPK
LordJovian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 8:56am
Jesus. Under the ATF desrciption of a silencer, everyone here without a flatline has a silencer on their gun. It's called PORTING. And, instead of ghetto rigging a silencer for your A-5, http://www.endgameinc.com/

And some states classify a paintball marker as a firearm (it shoots projectiles faster than you can throw).
A-5
E-grip
Chipley Custom Carbon Graphite 16"
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg
JCS Duel Trigger
Stormcharger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormcharger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 12:32pm

Well if your not worried about the legal hassle, then yes you can build a silencer out of PVC.  Its acctually very simple.  Take a piece of 1" or 1 1\4" depending on your barrels diameter, cut it to the length you want and then cut 1\2" holes in it all down its length.  Then you will need another length of PVC to cover the first usually 2" or 2 1\2".  Now simply fill the void between the tubes with an absorbant material.  I use Scotch Bright pads(they're easier to clean), but you can use just about anything, even a towel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonsblckhwk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 1:04pm

thanks for the help stormcharger

kinda sad it took all that just for an answer

whoknowswho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whoknowswho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 3:05pm

Originally posted by Whitelightinin Whitelightinin wrote:

and they used the silencers, so I don't mean to sound like a dumb noob but they were using them so they might not be illegal in certain areas

People do illegal things.

Also, search please. Repeat threads are clogging the forum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 3:28pm
You can build a silencer out of anything. Cardboard even if you so choose too- all you need is a chamber with a larger volume and some holes on the outside of it for the gas to expand. Learn what things do first before trying to make something- otherwise, it will end up working poorly if even at all.
A-5
E-grip
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg
JCS Duel Trigger
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by LordJovian LordJovian wrote:

Jesus. Under the ATF desrciption of a silencer, everyone here without a flatline has a silencer on their gun. It's called PORTING.
Actually, no it doesnt. Porting is not illegal because it can not be used on a firearm.

So stop saying that.

From the ATF website
Here's the copy from the FAQ from the BATF web site:

Quote (A9) Q. Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers legal? [Back]

A. §921(a)(24) The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for
silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any
combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or
fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such
assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball silencers tested by the Firearms Technology Branch have been
determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers as defined in 18
U.S.C., Section 921(a)(24). An individual wishing to manufacturer a firearm silencer must
receive prior approval from ATF by submitting an ATF Form 1 and paying a $200 making
tax.

If I have any further questions as to this classification, who should I contact?

Please send a written request to our Firearms Technology Branch at the following address:

Bureau of ATF
Firearms Technology Branch
650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Room 6450
Washington, DC 20226

The URL for the above on the BATF website:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm

www.paintballzone.com
Quote Porting on a barrel is not considered a “Silencer” since it is integral with the structure of
the barrel and the “Porting” obviously can’t be modified for a Firearm and is not portable, Yes, I
know there are quite ported barrels out there, but porting in the barrels cannot be transported to
or adapted from the paint barrel to a true firearm. It sounds like silly splitting of hairs and very
obvious to you and I, but, the Distinction is VERY important to Governmental types, and is the
difference between a $50,000 fine and/or 5yrs in a Federal prison.

There you go, did you all hear that

$50,000/5yr prison fine + court/Lawyer cost, if you get caught with a unregistered Silencer
You've been warned.

Consider yourselves owned.

Edited by You Wont See Me
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
patdh1028 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patdh1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 9:02pm
it is hard to make working silencers for paintball because what they do is let the hot gas from firing a round expand in a controlled environment. the gasses used in paintball are not hot enough to need to be controlled, and the sound coming from your gun is made by the cycling of the bolt and whatnot. so a working silencer is unnecessary. a rwal silencer can be made extremely easily with household materials, but you wont get true silencing abilities unless you use a subsonic round. supersonic rounds such as 9mm parabellum are difficult to suppress, unless extensive mods are made to the gun, such as the HK MP5 SD. the other thing that defeats silencing is the cycle of the gun, i.e. the opening of the breech in order to load a new round. the m1911 has a slide lock, keeping the breech closed but you will have to manually cock it after every shot to chamber a new round. the m1911 also uses the 45. acp round, which is subsonic, and threaded barrels are easy to find for the gun if you know where to look. but paintball silencer? why bother? 
FRANK THE TANK!
Sniper2oo9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper2oo9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 10:05pm
Go to this website!

http://www.specopspaintball.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWP ROD&ProdID=308
Arbites View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Soon to be Gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 11:16pm

First, did everyone see that he was talking about FAKE silencers?

Second, He was also asking about PVC piping for it and in most cases the large internal diameter of the silencer tube would make a homemade PVC pipe silencer not work on a firearm (though remember that some states classify airguns / paintball markers as firearms and then it would be a firearm silencer in that state).

But as was also mention, for most markers, the noise of the bolt cycling is as loud as the report of the air release. The guys the original poster noted were using pump markers and can minimize this noise, making a silencer effective for them, but usually ineffective for others.

I own 2 PVC silencers, but never use them. Why? No I'm not worried about them being ruled as illegal, particularly after talking to an ATF agent who had been part of the local office's firearms team for a few years. I don't use them for two reasons:

• They are big, heavy and bulky.
  • I don't think it does enough to justify reason #1, though that may be design flaw since I remember friend's store bought silencers in the old days working better.

Now, I said I talked to the ATF agent and I am also not worried abotu them for two reasons:

• He said that really isn't a concern of the ATF, even in post-9/11 America. Yes its a law, but such a minor issue in the face of real problems like automatic weapons (real ones).
  • I don't think they would count as a silencer anyway because I don't think they even reduce half the sound of my paintball marker. And even if it could be adapted to a real weapon, it would do less good on it than on my paintball marker.

So what did I do? took off my stock barrel and put a ported J&J Ceramic barrel on my SL-68. No more silencer attaching by my own choice.

Edit - And FYI, you can buy fake silencers for several Tippmann markers from some of the Mil-Sim dealers.

Edited by Arbites
A-5: 12" Ceramic, Egrip/WAS/Duel, HPA, MP5 sliding stock
SMG-68: 12" Ceramic
68-Specials(8): 12"&14" Ceramic, 12V Revy *** 1 Tip-n-Strip, 1 Blue, 1 FA w/Qloader
SL-68: 14" Ceramic
SMG-60 Ext. Line

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonsblckhwk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 11:56pm

Originally posted by You Wont See Me You Wont See Me wrote:

$50,000/5yr prison fine + court/Lawyer cost, if you get caught with a unregistered Silencer
You've been warned.

you are an idiot...

repeat threads may be cloggin up the forum but repeat posts are too...

who gives a flying **edited** about your post it has been said numerous times...

DemonicDonut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DemonicDonut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 12:17am
Originally posted by tippynewb tippynewb wrote:

can u just use one for looks like the big machine gun ends? i tried and it didn't change the sound at all

Dunno if anyone said anything about this but the "big machine gun ends" are to help eliminate flash, unless your talking about the thing that goes all the way up and down that has holes in it, thats to help disipate heat.

Impulse with: Dye Grips, Richochet AK Hopper, and Trigger Job.
On Ebay - Tippmann 98 Custom with: Empire Twisted Barrel, Double Trigger, Expansion Chamber, 12 ounce Co2, And 32 Degrees Remote.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordJovian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 8:58am

YWSM, like I mentioned some states classify paintball guns as a firearm. That fits them under the ATF definition where porting is illegal.

Sure, I would be useless on most firearms to drill holes in it, but if a paintball gun is classified as a firearm, then the porting that is reducing the report is illegal. I'm not supporting building silencers that are built wrong. You don't need the cotton and what not- you just need a large chamber with holes. Like the compression barrel.

A-5
E-grip
Evil Adapter(Spyder)
32 Deg New '03 XChamber
Remote Line
Gun Sling
Sniper f/x Stock
LPK
68/4500 HPA
R-5
CP Reg
JCS Duel Trigger
Stormcharger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormcharger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Jonsblckhwk Jonsblckhwk wrote:

Originally posted by You Wont See Me You Wont See Me wrote:

You've been warned.

you are an idiot...

repeat threads may be cloggin up the forum but repeat posts are too...

who gives a flying **edited** about your post it has been said numerous times...

Jon,

It's not personal, if you don't like the information received from others, you have the right to simlply disreguard it.  However if you resort to flaming and name calling you look like a punk and a looser.

And to everyone else, if you are not sure whether painball silencers are legal or not, simply talk to your local sheriff.  The sheriff in my county has told me that unless I do something really stupid, like run down the street shooting houses, the paintball silencers that I have are not worth prosecuting.  It also pays to be on good relations with the local cops because I also got written permission to use an abandoned city building for my team. 

Paintball+wharehouse+downtown=cool 

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 5:08pm
What I really want to know is how do I make one???  I dont care about legalities at the moment, but i want instructions on how to make a few.  besides the pvc one further up this page. 
rockoutboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockoutboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 5:30pm
would it be illeagle on private property?
BuffaloSolda1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 strike, inapropriate image 6/23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloSolda1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 9:36pm
Potatoes, have fun.
TK by PB4MS.COM
NavySeal Sniper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NavySeal Sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 11:27am

were i live you can make one. all the law said about them is that you cant modify them to fit a real gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic