FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Book banning in Alabama

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book banning in Alabama
    Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:29pm
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:31pm
Wow..
I need a new Sig...
Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:31pm
That's crossing the line.
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:33pm
Pathetic. It's like separating black from white.

tippmannboy2 View Drop Down
I donít believe in Karma. I just donít.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmannboy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:35pm
I dont really think homosexualality (sp?) is right but i think as long as i dont see every day its fine. But the writing of **edited**s isnt really a big deal. They are people to right?
Long Live The Confederacy

I am an AMERICAN AND IM PROUD OF IT!
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:36pm
Microsoft also recently dropped their support for **edited** rights as well.

Good thing I stopped buying thier stuff years ago.

Originally posted by article article wrote:

A prominent **edited** rights group asked the company to return a civil rights award it had bestowed on the tech giant four years ago.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:36pm
bout time, go alabama
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:37pm
He's a republican...

Not surprising...
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:37pm
Oh my god.. They are targeting homosexual authers, only because they are homosexual. That is discrimination. Blatant discrimination. I could see how someone would take issue with a book where clifford the big red dog, finds another big red dog, that is also a boy dog, and what not. But targetting books writen by homosexual authors is wrong.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by State Representative Gerald Allen State Representative Gerald Allen wrote:

"I don't look at it as censorship, I look at it as protecting the hearts and souls and minds of our children."

Originally posted by More from the loser More from the loser wrote:

"It's not healthy for America, it doesn't fit what we stand for," says Allen. "And they will do whatever it takes to reach their goal."

Originally posted by Editor's Note: Editor's Note: wrote:

When the time for the vote in the legislature came there were not enough state legislators present for the vote, so the measure died automatically.
OWNED!!!

Edited by Hades

Penguin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
I’m The Uberest Guy I Know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:42pm
Oh man it's just like the 60's again

Back by popular demand
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Penguin Penguin wrote:

Oh man it's just like the 60's again

Yeah, really. Talk about retarded. Even though I have pretty strict ideas about homosexuals, I don't have anything against them. I do think it's a sin for them to have sex, but just being homosexual isn't wrong. Plus, it's not like I'm perfect. This is just plain wrong, like people said, straight discrimination, which is much worse than anything any of these homosexuals-they're regular people, it's not like they're from a different planet. I can't believe anyone would stand for this, and I'm absolutely shamed that my Christian "brothers and sisters" as they cal themselves are the ones behind it.

This is sick and disgusting.
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

bout time, go alabama

now im not saying i agree with banning the discrimination of homoesexuals but i do think that children shouldnt be exposed to homosexual literature that discusses lifestyles etc.  I dont want the young ones to become desensitized to homosexual life so that they think its normal which its not.  I dont want the young ones becoming homosexual simply for the fact that procreation is important.  I mean think about it many homosexuals have done good things for the world and its not right to discriminate.  Just let them live their lives as we live ours.  But it is wrong, and young ones dont need to see that.It doesnt bother me if you act all okay in public and do your thing at home but i cant stand the lisp thing and the hand wave, the scarf around the neck, etc.  But you get my point already.  I dont think at 14 i should be exposed to this either..

WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 5:00pm
"It's not healthy for America, it doesn't fit what we stand for," says Allen. "And they will do whatever it takes to reach their goal."

Now that I have to agree with.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 5:01pm
ok, maybe i jumped the gun, but i've always seen it as wrong.  If homosexuals want to be homosexuals, then let it be, behind closed doors.  I don't want my brothers, sisters, cousin's, or any other impressionable child exposed to this.  I believe that it's a sin, and like predatorr said, we shouldn't allow them to be desensitized(sp?)
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 5:01pm
Popular Sovreinty sucks sometimes.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 5:04pm
This issue is banning the books writen by homosexuals out right. I dont like this. It is discrimination. But baning books advocating a homosexual life style, in public schools. I dont have a problem with.
Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 5:05pm
Whatever your position is on homosexuality, you have to agree that this is blatantly unconstitutional.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 5:09pm
Of course it is, it is targeting a specific group of people. Its unconstitutional. Why would someone even introduce a bill like this. HOW! Your a senator or whatever, you must know the stupid thing is against the US constitution.
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

ok, maybe i jumped the gun, but i've always seen it as wrong. If
homosexuals want to be homosexuals, then let it be, behind closed
doors. I don't want my brothers, sisters, cousin's, or any other
impressionable child exposed to this. I believe that it's a sin,
and like predatorr said, we shouldn't allow them to be desensitized(sp?)

I agree to a certain level, but banning homosexual authors? Now come on. That's exactly like when women weren't allowed to right in the 18-19th century. It's stupid-they still have a right to say their ideas.

I do agree that it's wrong, and I'd rather not see it in public, and I'd also say that children shouldn't be exposed to it, but how many of these authors write children's book? Also, parents really do have the last say over what comes into their house, both by law and in practice. I don't think we should say this is the normal thing to do, I don't believe it is either. I think we should continue to point out that we are a generally straight society, because that's how things are supposed to work, but are tolerant towards people who are different. This is a case where they are being actively driven out.

Mostly, this remind me of the kinds of Christians who don't believe in evangelizing(spreading the gospel), and that we should only share it with people who come to us. The point is that these ideas are put out on the world stage, so that people everywhere can see them, and God never calls us to fight against them, whether they're sinning or not. Our job here is not to be enforcers, it's to be messengers. "Let the one who is blameless throw the first stone". Anyone here blameless? That's what I thought.

On a similar note, I have a couple friends who are homo/bisexual, and they're great friends, but they keep their views to themselves, and I keep my views to myself, because we all know what the other person thinkgs. We don't try to impose either of our views on the other. All I see is another path to killing off the homosexuals here-what happens when they lose their voice? Who's going to speak for them? Well, it looks like nobody has the guts to. Bush is as close to a Nazi in his beliefs as I've seen in a while-although I really do think he did some great things, he's acted in utterly reckless, destructive ways nationally and internationally.

I think a comment that I've heard that applies pretty well to this situation is one my old youth pastor(now at a seminary school in California) said last year:"I'm fine with homosexuals being part of the youth group, in the same sense that I would be fine with someone having premarital sex being part of it, but I can't allow them in a leadership position". At this time, I was one of the lead coordinators for the group, and I had a number of homosexual friends I wanted to bring to youth group(just for context). I'd keep that at the front of my mind, if I were basing my beliefs on Christianity.

*EDIT*
Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

But baning books advocating a homosexual life style, in public schools. I dont have a problem with.

I think this is a very good point. I'm not advocating homosexuality(I think that's pretty clear, just wanted to make it absolutely clear), I'm just saying that we need to realize that just being a homosexual doesn't mean you're trash, or you write trash, or you live a bad life. You may being screwing up, you may need help to realize that, but it is my opinion that they can be helped, and God's there for them too.

Edited by Pariel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic