FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Take yer kid to work.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Take yer kid to work.
    Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:17pm

My dad works for Boeing in Huntsville, and they had the take your kid to work day thing.  He works on ATL and designed the whole deployment-retraction system.  Today he had (and I got) to go to the shop where the deployment-retraction system is being assembled.

In the shop, there were also 5 Avenger Humvees ans 3 SLAAMRAM control humvees.  The Avenger guys had an external control unit hooked up to one of the Humvees and they even let me "play" with the targeting computer. 

So I got to tilt and rotate the actual turret on an Avenger, with a view screen on the external control unit that connected to the FLIR camera on the turret.  The turret had a pod (empty) of 4 stinger missiles on one side, and a 50-caliber machine gun (emty also) on the other side.  I even pointed the turret at people (the turret was unloaded and the fire control was on safe, im not stupid) and locked on to the heat signature of people while they walked by.  The lock-on was fun, as you push a little black button and an on-screen box surounds the heat profile of what you are looking at and the turret automatically turns to point at the target.  I even locked on to myself as I was working the external controls and walked up to the turret. The turret followed me as I walked up to it, while no one was even at the controls.  I was about 3 feet from the FLIR camera, it staring me down, I tilted my head to the left and the whole turret jerked about one inch to the left.  It was a wierd feeling, a few thousand pounds of ceramic armor, a pod that held 4 stinger missiles, and a 50-caliber machine gun tracking my face all by itself.

The Avenger guys were very nice and even let me climb on the humvees and get inside them, they even gave me a 50-caliber bullet casing (Pic1) (Pic2).   The gun on the turret shoots at about 20 rps and the recoil is about 800 pounds, enough to almost lift the front tires off the ground and causes the turret to pitch and yaw quite a bit.  They said it was hard to make an algorithm to compensate for all that.

So what did you do today?

Hey MPAA, Guess what?

09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0!
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:19pm
On the radio today, i listen to the DJ Daniel have her kid in the studio, very very cute kid.
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:20pm

will your dad adopt me?

travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by bravecoward bravecoward wrote:

will your dad adopt me?

Sorry, his rule is no pets in the house.

(not implying that you are a dog, it's just humor)

Hey MPAA, Guess what?

Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:24pm
Try to recruit(sp) I see...

My dad works at the WyDOT(Wyoming Department of Transportation). And after hearing some close calls he has with Semi's when he is fixing a guard rail or a fence I dont really want to go to work with him, also I dont want to get with a piss bottle from a trucker either.

Edited by Panda Man
bezerker84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bezerker84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:26pm

You wanna know what i did today?!?!? I...I...I forget

Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:26pm
Dude...

That's fricking awesome...
CHiKUN PiMP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proudly picking on priests since 800 AD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHiKUN PiMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:45pm
I sat on my back porch in my boxers, smoked weed, and soaked up the sunshine. Man, I love having whatever whack illness I have, it's the shiznit.
www.TexasPumpAndPistolGame.com
www.pettyPb.com

MCB:Chickun
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 4:15pm

We dont have that at McDonalds

The store is too small.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 4:17pm
Yeah, you wouldnt have enough room, mexicans have lots of kids.. Sorry that was bad, but i had to make some sort of crack, but it wasnt humorous at all.
Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 4:19pm

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

Yeah, you wouldnt have enough room, mexicans have lots of kids.. Sorry that was bad, but i had to make some sort of crack, but it wasnt humorous at all.

Yeah, I kinda took the subtle approach to that bit of humor..

Way to kill it.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 4:21pm
Damnit.
For Honor View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 strike, stupid sexual slur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Honor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 4:29pm

my dad works at a crappy community college

comp science prof

rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 4:49pm
thats pretty cool...you're a lucky kid.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 4:55pm

so, uh, i was reading that ATL article, and noticed this.

Originally posted by Article Article wrote:

The Advanced Tactical Laser can place a 10-centimeter-wide beam with the heating power of a blowtorch on distant targets for up to 100 shots. The Advanced Tactical Laser can produce a four-inch-diameter beam of energy that can slice through metal from a distance of 9 miles.

so, basically if a nuclear warhead was launched at us it would be able to detonate it from 9 miles away?  ...well, thats great, but nuclear explosions reach out about 6-7 miles, carry a shockwave 10 miles, and radiation from the blast alone goes out 15 miles...so uh, we'd still be screwed. 

Oh well, its a start though, right?

"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
xteam02001 View Drop Down

Good Job On Getting Yourself Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xteam02001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 4:55pm
nice

Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life.
Open my eyes and blind me with your light
and your lies.
travis75 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Penthouse....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travis75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

so, uh, i was reading that ATL article, and noticed this.

Originally posted by Article Article wrote:

The Advanced Tactical Laser can place a 10-centimeter-wide beam with the heating power of a blowtorch on distant targets for up to 100 shots. The Advanced Tactical Laser can produce a four-inch-diameter beam of energy that can slice through metal from a distance of 9 miles.

so, basically if a nuclear warhead was launched at us it would be able to detonate it from 9 miles away?  ...well, thats great, but nuclear explosions reach out about 6-7 miles, carry a shockwave 10 miles, and radiation from the blast alone goes out 15 miles...so uh, we'd still be screwed. 

Oh well, its a start though, right?

It is more for melting tanks and church busses that missiles.

Perhaps you are thinking about NMD?

Hey MPAA, Guess what?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic