FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stroke of genius?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 2:14pm
halfbaked.com
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 2:52pm

The Mailing thing does not work. Dont even bother.

The only way to get it patented is to go through some other company. Its going to cost you. That why you dont have every local hick running to the patent office to get thier "idea" patented. Plus it takes a long time.

I have a paintball gun I want to get searched, then patented. But I just dont have the money. You can make a prototype in the mean time.

Edited by Monk
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

The Mailing thing does not work. Dont even bother.

The only way to get it patented is to go through some other company. Its going to cost you. That why you dont have every local hick running to the patent office to get thier "idea" patented. Plus it takes a long time.

I have a paintball gun I want to get searched, then patented. But I just dont have the money. You can make a prototype in the mean time.

You need the 'mailing thing' to be proof of the date it was thought up of.
Strife_17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strife_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:07pm
whatever idea you have had perhap you can prvide your good friend strife with one to do a ... field test?
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Strife_17 Strife_17 wrote:

whatever idea you have had perhap you can prvide your good friend strife with one to do a ... field test?
Who are you again?
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 4:01pm
yea seriously, if you ever did get it patented, forumers    *cough*me*cough*   would be great free advertising
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Strife_17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strife_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 4:13pm
haha come on im not that new lol... all great products have tester and coem on me and usapilot would prabably be great testers =)
Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 1:13pm
Does it make a death ray shoot out of your eyes?
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 1:36pm

The mailing thing is a waste of time.  It has some merit for copyright (books et al), but not for patents.  US patents are "first to file" - simply having invented it first does you no good.  The only benefit might be if somebody rips you off you might prove that you invented it and not them, but that's about it.

Patent filing fees aren't that bad - a couple of hundred for individuals, I think, but you also need the background searching and a lawyer to put your stuff together.  For a simple mechanical patent I would figure 5-10k, all inclusive, for decent lawyering.  You can do it yourself, or go to the old "inventor's hotline", but you get what you pay for.

The cheaper, and probably better, alternative is to sell your invention before it is patented.  Get JT (or whoever) to sign a confidentiality agreement, and then show them the idea.  They give you money, and then they patent your idea for themselves.  But make sure you get the confidentiality agreement - otherwise they will rip you off legally...

Frozen Balls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1, filter dodge, 1.28.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 1:42pm
...mailing it to yourself is flimsy at best. If someone else comes up with it and files for patent/produces it, you're SOL. Especially since you have no way of proving they infringed on your idea, because a) you can't prove it was yours, and b) odds are they have never seen you, so they obviously didn't steal it.

Your best bet is to talk to a lawyer  and then arrange a meeting with a company.

Like wtfbbq CK, you ganked my entire post. I'm sitting here typing my ideas, and then I read yours, and I'm like, die!

BLand View Drop Down
Guested - Complete idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 2:05pm
tell us the idea, well tell you if its good enough to patent

Edited by BLand
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 2:28pm
^ Joking aside, you really shouldn't do that.  You should not disclose your invention to anybody who hasn't signed a confidentiality agreement.  Doing so could seriously jeopardize your ability to patent your invention.
Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 4:44pm
There's been times I've wanted to patent a few ideas of mine, but I've never had the motivation. The return on any of the ideas I had would likely never be worth the risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic