Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So how do you like your President now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So how do you like your President now?
    Posted: 28 April 2005 at 1:26am
What the heck is Bush thinking!?!
Originally posted by Article Article wrote:

Bush signs law targeting P2P pirates

File-swappers who distribute a single copy of a prerelease movie on the Internet can be imprisoned for up to three years, according to a bill that President Bush signed into law on Wednesday.

The Family Entertainment and Copyright Act, approved by the House of Representatives last Tuesday, represents the entertainment industry's latest attempt to thwart rampant piracy on file-swapping networks. Movies such as "Star Wars: Episode II," "Tomb Raider" and "The Hulk," have been spotted online before their theatrical releases.

The law had drawn some controversy because it broadly says that anyone who has even one copy of an unreleased film, software program or music file in a shared folder could be subjected to prison terms and fines of up to three years. Penalties would apply regardless of whether that file was downloaded or not.

In a statement, Motion Picture Association of America president Dan Glickman said he wanted to "thank the congressional sponsors of this legislation for their strong advocacy for intellectual property rights."

The Family Entertainment and Copyright Act also includes sections criminalizing the use of camcorders to record a movie in a theater, and authorizing the use of technologies that can delete offensive content from a film.

"The protection of intellectual property rights is vital to the movie industry," said Rep. Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican who joined Bush for the signing ceremony. "This bill is necessary to ensure that all those involved in the production of a film, from the director to the set carpenter, are not cheated."

The law's stiff penalties apply to "audiovisual" works, music and software that are "being prepared for commercial distribution." It's not clear how that would apply to fans who redistribute video files of TV shows aired in other countries first, or movies like Shaolin Soccer and Japanese anime flicks that can take years to arrive in the U.S. market.

While some public interest groups have criticized the measure, others characterized it as a modest expansion to a 1997 law that made copyright infringement a crime--even when no money changed hands.

Eric Goldman, who teaches copyright law at Marquette University Law School, said that the Justice Department will likely wield its new criminal enforcement powers responsibly. "I'm not as outraged by the (new law) as I expected to be," Goldman wrote last week.

What gives someone the right to edit offesive material out of my intellectual property!?!

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

What the heck is Bush thinking!?!
Originally posted by Article Article wrote:

Bush signs law targeting P2P pirates

File-swappers who distribute a single copy of a prerelease movie on the Internet can be imprisoned for up to three years, according to a bill that President Bush signed into law on Wednesday.

The Family Entertainment and Copyright Act, approved by the House of Representatives last Tuesday, represents the entertainment industry's latest attempt to thwart rampant piracy on file-swapping networks. Movies such as "Star Wars: Episode II," "Tomb Raider" and "The Hulk," have been spotted online before their theatrical releases.

The law had drawn some controversy because it broadly says that anyone who has even one copy of an unreleased film, software program or music file in a shared folder could be subjected to prison terms and fines of up to three years. Penalties would apply regardless of whether that file was downloaded or not.

In a statement, Motion Picture Association of America president Dan Glickman said he wanted to "thank the congressional sponsors of this legislation for their strong advocacy for intellectual property rights."

The Family Entertainment and Copyright Act also includes sections criminalizing the use of camcorders to record a movie in a theater, and authorizing the use of technologies that can delete offensive content from a film.

"The protection of intellectual property rights is vital to the movie industry," said Rep. Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican who joined Bush for the signing ceremony. "This bill is necessary to ensure that all those involved in the production of a film, from the director to the set carpenter, are not cheated."

The law's stiff penalties apply to "audiovisual" works, music and software that are "being prepared for commercial distribution." It's not clear how that would apply to fans who redistribute video files of TV shows aired in other countries first, or movies like Shaolin Soccer and Japanese anime flicks that can take years to arrive in the U.S. market.

While some public interest groups have criticized the measure, others characterized it as a modest expansion to a 1997 law that made copyright infringement a crime--even when no money changed hands.

Eric Goldman, who teaches copyright law at Marquette University Law School, said that the Justice Department will likely wield its new criminal enforcement powers responsibly. "I'm not as outraged by the (new law) as I expected to be," Goldman wrote last week.

What gives someone the right to edit offesive material out of my intellectual property!?!

Read the law Hades, it gives the owner the option to edit out offensive material when they play the movie.  So in other words, its G rated when your 8 year old watches it and R rated when an 18 year old watches it etc.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by Darur
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Buzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 5:20am
I'm still glad I voted for him. So just the same.
MetallicaESPa5 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Doors Of Perception

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetallicaESPa5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 5:45am
Screw that. Just make pot legal.

clownshooter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Checking your underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 5:48am
I can live with it (the law). I have always believed that obtaining something without paying for it (without the owner's consent) is stealing, no matter how it is justified.
Project Irene View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
It really DOES exist!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Project Irene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 6:48am

It sucks, but if someone started making and selling an item that was a patent infringement they'd shut it down too.  And it's just not "the president" that's doing it, it's the whole goverment as lobbied by the entertainment industry.

Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 6:50am
looks like im going to prison... I'm not getting rid of whta I got.
ScarFace22 View Drop Down
Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 6:55am

Originally posted by clownshooter clownshooter wrote:

I can live with it (the law). I have always believed that obtaining something without paying for it (without the owner's consent) is stealing, no matter how it is justified.

I agree I have no problem with the law. As clown said it stealing and its illegal.

Edited by ScarFace22

Check my thread in the Great guns thread for Timmy tech help or PM me
Psyrecx View Drop Down
Follows in HondaXR’s footsteps...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psyrecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 7:01am

Originally posted by Panda Man Panda Man wrote:

looks like im going to prison... I'm not getting rid of whta I got.

Cool, me too. I'll try to bring some cigarettes so that you dont get bunked with a big black guy.

This sig is brought to you by Psyrecx, thanks to D-Town Balla.
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 7:06am
this law the was passed is as bright, as anti-gun laws.
Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 7:11am
Well I'm going to jail.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
Bugg View Drop Down
One screw up and all screen names go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 7:21am
Hades, what you don't understand however, is that Congress amde the law, Bush can only sign/veto it

O, crap, I'm screwed, I d/l the new LB cd. Dont' go saying "you're not a fan, you didn't buy it" i'm still going ot buy it on tues...
Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 7:45am
I'm still behind Bush and whether you think file-sharing is stealing or not, it's the law. You are disributing and using something that you did not pay for.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 7:52am
Just dont keep the stuff in your shared files folder...

Simple.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Bugg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 7:52am
but like i said, come tuesday im buying the cd for sure... so you say stealing, i say listening to music at school....

and I agree 100% with bush on most things... i'm fine with this law.... sure i'm breaking it, but only for 5 days....
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 7:54am
Take it out of your shared folder and it's no longer breaking the law Bugg.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Bugg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 7:59am
I don't have a shared folder, i d/l the album off a torrent system than uninstalled the torrent....

God I love these songs LOL
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 8:12am
Every day, I'm happier and happier that I'm canadian. Seriously, what a jack-hole, this is just dumb. "Lets suppress individul thought, and shelter the fragile masses, they cant handle this stuff" Yay hitler!
Bugg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 8:14am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Every day, I'm happier and happier that I'm canadian. Seriously, what a jack-hole, this is just dumb. "Lets suppress individul thought, and shelter the fragile masses, they cant handle this stuff" Yay hitler!
rather have a hitler than a liberal

*edited*
like i said, he doesn't make laws, he can only allow them / veto them

Edited by Reb Cpl
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 8:25am
I just love how copyright infringment is a civil case in just about every other country but thanks to abuse of the court system, lobbying congressmen, and a stupid ad campagin it is now criminal in the us.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic