FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trans am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Pate Pate wrote:

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

Originally posted by Pate Pate wrote:

If you are talkin to me, i drive a four cylinder, so
they get mad, the V8 guys around here get mad as well. I usualy get a
finger on the highway.

<div style="text-align: center;"><span style="font-family:
courier new,courier,mono;">What do you and your bro
drive?</span>

I drive a 300+ HP SRT-4. Jimmy drives a 450+ STi. He makes more
money than i do, he says hes still not done with it, he wants to yeild
45 LBS of boost. I hope he doesnt kill his car.

<div style="text-align: center;"><span style="font-family: courier new,courier,mono;">mmmm STi...</span>

His car is beutiful, very fast, you step on the gas and power just kinda come out of nowhere, you dont have to downshift to get lots of power or torque. You can basicaly just live in the powerband all day if you want to and have plenty of power just sitting there, enough to scare you.
Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - 3 Strikes and hes out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 9:56am
It's all about torque, baby.

Those cars are nice, and for some people they sem inexpensive, but $20,000 on a car is just too much for me right now!

I'm more in the sub-$5,000 range.

I drive a '95 Nissan Altima, and people never believe me that the car weighs over 4,000 pounds! Everyone think Nissans are lightweight rice-rockets like Hondas, but the fact is they weigh 1000's of pounds more.

For the price, I think it's hard to beat the 1990 and newer 240sx's....my friend bought a 1995 240sx SE for $4500 about 8 months ago, and I really think it's hard to find a car this great for that cheap!

It's only a 2.4l 4cyl, pushing about 155HP and 160 torque, and the car weighs over 3000 pounds with no driver/passengers, so it's not a "neck-snapper", but it is rear-wheel drive so you can do some crazy manuevers(like roasting them and doing a 180 on a dime), plus you save a bunch of gas.

When the engine takes a dump, just swap it out with the japanese version of the engine(2.0l turbo'd), which pushes 200HP and has about the best aftermarket customization options you can find....all told you can set up a 400+HP/torque Nissan 240SX for well under $10,000 total.

I would never have thought a car like that would be so much fun until I drove one! Now I want one.

It's funny, because I never thought I would be into "rice-rockets"!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 10:01am
Exactly, when my SRT4 was stock, i was beating 350Zs no problem. Its about tourque, if you have a lot of tourque, you will get off the line beutifuly if you know how to launch your car.
Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 1:19pm
^Personally, I think the only reason a stock SRT-4 would dust a stock 350Z would be from the start.....because the SR-4 is all-wheel drive(as far as I knew), which is known for quick launches, while the 350Z is rear-wheel drive(to my knowledge), which is known for burning out off the start and "getting sideways".

Basically, I think the SRT-4 would inherantly be faster than the 350Z on the launch and first hundred feet or so, then the 350Z SHOULD gradually start gaining on the SRT-4.

Either way, I like the SRT-4 because it doesn't try and sell people with huge displacement numbers or try and be anything it's not.

Just 220 or so HP done right! All-wheel drive really does make for a safer car, IMHO.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 1:49pm
my dad was gonna get me a trans am, then my mom told him i wouldnt like it...darn it!
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Variable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Variable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Zesty Zesty wrote:

Cuivics, don't make me laugh! We're talking about Nissan's here bro....IOW, bring on any car with the same size engine and watch it get smoked. For people in the know, Nissans are the tuners dream.

Bring your Corvette, go home crying.

Since when does anyone compare cars with equal sized engines...and as far as I know no other car manufacturer uses an engine with the same displacement as the Maxima's.  That logic is flawed and pointless to use.  Maximas are not race cars; not by a long shot.  For some a car made the most awesome manufacturer ever, twin-turbo 350Zs certainly have a hard time getting out of the 11s.  

Also, SRT-4s are front-wheel drive and get terrible launches.  The last time I checked a 350Z takes an SRT-4 out of the hole and keeps on pulling (stock for stock of course) so I'm not sure what kind of drivers you were going up aginst DBibeau.

Edited by Variable
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 4:07pm
The launch problem was fixed with the new ones, quaife LSDs. And i was killing 350 Zs when i was stock, but now, i dont really try it gets boring. I go the speed limit a lot, rarely do i open it up.
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 6:35pm

I think camaros look much cleaner. I dont like the nostral things on the firebirds/trans ams.

well thats just the whole ram air thing

The WRXs have em too

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by ekeboo ekeboo wrote:

I think camaros look much cleaner. I dont like the nostral things on the firebirds/trans ams.

well thats just the whole ram air thing

The WRXs have em too

Yep, the WRX, i think it looks nice, but on the transam, they look big and whatnot, what is it, the new GTO, the hood looks beutiful.
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 11:17pm
you think it looks big on our trans am or Chroznaks  i dont think it looks too big at all i mean the Sti has a bigger hole than the trans am

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 7:01am
I know, i just dont like the look of the ones on the trans am. Its not too big, they just look like nostrols.
Psyrecx View Drop Down
Follows in HondaXR’s footsteps...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psyrecx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 7:05am

Originally posted by Psyrecx Psyrecx wrote:

my mom has a 4.7 Triton V8 in her Lincolin Town car

Good lord. Is that a heavy car? Thats a large engine for a sadan.

Its a Lincoln Town Car Signature Series.. Its huge.

This sig is brought to you by Psyrecx, thanks to D-Town Balla.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 7:36am
That really sucks the way gas is now and what not.
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 8:01am
oh i get the whole nostril idea, i think it looks like it wants to eat something

Edited by ekeboo

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 8:08am
Mhmm. It does, your gas money. lol
Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Variable Variable wrote:

Originally posted by Zesty Zesty wrote:

Civics, don't make me laugh! We're
talking about Nissan's here bro....IOW, bring on any car with the same
size engine and watch it get smoked. For people in the know, Nissans
are the tuners dream.

Bring your Corvette, go home crying.

Since when does anyone compare cars with equal sized engines...and
as far as I know no other car manufacturer uses an engine with the same
displacement as the Maxima's.
Dude, you are so "nit-picky" it's not even funny....use your brain! Comparing a 4cyl with a v12 is kinda unfair, but I guess you think differently. 
Quote That logic is flawed and pointless
to use.
Uhm, comparing cars of simliar engine sizes is pointless and "flawed logic"? Wouldn't comparing a v6 to a v6 be fair? I don't get you. 
Quote Maximas are not race cars; not by a long shot.
Where did I ever say they were?! never, so shut your mouth and stop putting words in mine. But in reality, what is a "race car"? It's a car that you race. I've definitely seen Nissan Maximas racing(and winning!), so I guess now that you mention it, you could call them a (good)"race car"!
Quote For some a car made the most awesome
manufacturer ever, twin-turbo 350Zs certainly have a hard time getting out
of the 11s.
 Like I said, Rear-wheel drive! It's not meant to be a 9 second 1/4 miler! It's meant to be a 300HP, all-engine out of a V6, rear-wheel drive beast....it's meant to "get sideways" and nab hoes while looking like a pimp in your budget performance car!

You are right about the SRT4 being FWD, but that doesn't change my point. The SRT4 is FWD, the 350Z is RWD. FWD cars have the engine of the car to hold them down and help them "hook up", while a RWD car is being pushed by the rear tires, so it has no engine weight to keep it gripping the road......which makes a FWD car better off the launch than a RWD car.

I think your logic is flawed! Dbi is rolling a 300+HP FWD car...the 350Z is about 300 stock HP....so he is already in a more powerful car!

Then you add in the fact that he's FWD, and he is in a safer car that gets better take-offs.

Edited by Zesty
Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 8:21am
So, NOW I've officially said the Nissan Maxima is a race car, so you can officially flame me for that withut retaliation! LMAO
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 8:45am
Specialy in snow. My uncle has a beefed up mustang, he doesnt like it in the snow at all. My SRT4 is just awful in the snow, but if i had to choose between a FWD car and a RWD car, ide opt for the FWD, its about the engine planting the front of the car to the road, there is a notable difference, but idealy a 4X4 or all wheel drive vehicle would be best.

Time after time, a FWD will have a better launch than a RWD car. RWD cars are made for drifting and lots and lots of show. A FWD or AWD is for a car that doesnt want to oversteer and lose its footing in a race or squeel tires on a launch.
Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 8:59am
^Seriously, I don't know why someone would think a RWD car would be better off the launch than a FWD or AWD.....and my logic is supposedly flawed.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 9:03am
If the engine was mounted at the rear, it would. But deffinatly, a FWD car will have better launches all things being equal time and time again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic