FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wow... discrimination at its finest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wow... discrimination at its finest
    Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:14am
So, at my college, it is pretty easy to start a club.  Now, in order to get funding and what not you have to go through the student government (SGA).  So anyway, this uber conservative christian group wanted to form up.  Only thing, in their constitution (every club is required to have one) they blatently discriminate agains homosexuals.  That is actually just part of their completely rediculious rules.  Here is a direct quote from their constitution:

Now, granted... great...they wanna follow the bible, but think hard about this... its college.  sex, drunkenness, profanity... bwhahahaha.

anyway...  

Now the part that really irks me and put the SGA in a predicament is the whole homosexual thing.  Now, I was talking to the pres. at lunch today and he made a good point.  There are only 2 sides to this argument and no inbetween.

One side says that it's wrong, the club is blatently discriminating and should not be approved.   On the other side, people are saying that this a religious organization and you can't infringe on their beliefs. 

Unfortunately the club did get approved due to legal issues and the possibility of the school losing a lot of money to these die-hard christians. 

Figured that I'd join in on making one of these controversial topics. 

Discuss.
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:18am
That is one sheltered club.

DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:20am
They have their rights too.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:21am
Very touchy subject, especially since it is on a college campus. It would depend on the individual constitution of the college. Everyone has their rules in groups; however, this one might just take things a little too far. However, they have the right to bar individuals, but there is a limit.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:22am
Dont like it, Dont join their Club.... Seems pretty simple to me. Your not a hardcore christian if your homosexual anyway, So I dont see where the problem is...

Edited by *Stealth*
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:22am
I understand it... I just find it amazing that there would be people out there that have the balls to make this group. 

This group gets approved... but the liberal students org. can't hand out condoms...

Dune: it goes farther than the school's constitution and rules.  We do have rules, but SGA and the school faced legal problems if they did deny this club.  I'm not for sure about the details, but I do know that lawyers were involved. 

Stealth: I understand... I'm actually tempted to try to get a club past that straight up discriminates.  We actually have said that a KKK club could technically get approved if they wanted to and do everything right. 

Edited by procarbinefreak
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:27am

Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

Dont like it, Dont join their Club.... Seems pretty simple to me. Your not a hardcore christian if your homosexual anyway, So I dont see where the problem is...

There are plenty of hardcore christians that are homosexuals. Just like thare are plenty of hardcore christians that eat meat on Fridays of lent.

Bugg View Drop Down
One screw up and all screen names go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:30am
Well it is their club so they can technically do what they want.

I don't totally agree on everything but yeah... w/e floats their boat...
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

There are plenty of hardcore christians that are homosexuals. Just like thare are plenty of hardcore christians that eat meat on Fridays of lent.

The majority of Christian divisions eat meat on friday, Catholics are about the only ones against that..

There is pretty much just one sect of christian faith, and I dont recall what it is at the moment that openly allows homosexuals... However, If you are a hardcore christian you follow scripture which clearly is against homosexuality... So no matter how hardcore you want to act, if your homosexual you arn't realy following the faith...

Edited by *Stealth*
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:34am
Being a hardcore christian doesn't mean you have to follow the bible literally. If you make life choices that are different but do your best to follow it as much as possible, then you can be a hardcore christian.
Bugg View Drop Down
One screw up and all screen names go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:36am
Dune and Stealth, I'm episcapalion which is a branch from catholism, yet nothing says no meat... must be only certain branches of catholism
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:36am

Being a hardcore christian doesn't mean you have to follow the bible literally. If you make life choices that are different but do your best to follow it as much as possible, then you can be a hardcore christian.

That stands for arguement..

Can you be a hardcore patriot if you do something that is blatently against your nations laws?

I dont see how you can be really that hardcore if you do something you know is blatently against what your so hardcore about.

To me, that just makes the individual a hypocrite... a wannabe.

Edited by *Stealth*
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Bugg Bugg wrote:

Well it is their club so they can technically do what they want.

I don't totally agree on everything but yeah... w/e floats their boat...

Well they can do what they want to a point...
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:44am
Then it would be safe to say that there are few hardcore christians in society. Because most do not follow the faith to the literal meaning. By saying that, it's unfair to many of those that lead good, honest lives and get the most of their relgion. If they're homosexual, it's just a detail.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:48am
plus... the whole idolatry thing is a joke... just look at the pope.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:50am

Then it would be safe to say that there are few hardcore christians in society. Because most do not follow the faith to the literal meaning. By saying that, it's unfair to many of those that lead good, honest lives and get the most of their relgion. If they're homosexual, it's just a detail.

Thats a good point...

It's all point of view I suppose.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:50am
I agree, it's all about perspective.
whoknowswho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whoknowswho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:57am
I don't know, the part that states that homosexuality is an abomination and the several mentions of the penalties for commiting homosexual acts seems kinda cut and dried to me.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:58am

Originally posted by whoknowswho whoknowswho wrote:

I don't know, the part that states that homosexuality is an abomination and the several mentions of the penalties for commiting homosexual acts seems kinda cut and dried to me.

Which parts are those?  Chapter/verse?

warlord88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warlord88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 12:45pm
LEVITICUS 18-22 " Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind:it is abomintion."

LEVITICUS 20-13 " If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with woman, both of them have commtitted an abomintion: They shall surely be put to death; their blood SHALL BE upon them."

this pretty much says it in a nutshell i think.

Edited by warlord88
A-5
E-grip
J&J 14 in. 2 piece ceramic
16 in. smart part progressive tough coat finish
8 in. lapco
centerflag 68/3000 HPA
AKA sidewinder
JCS adjustable blade trigger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic