Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some comedic relief as tax time cometh...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some comedic relief as tax time cometh...
    Posted: 25 March 2005 at 12:06pm
How to file your taxes online:

Local Man Finds His Tax Return on Internet

No doubt computers and the internet have made filing your taxes easier. But it can also be big trouble if your tax returns--and all the private information they contain--wind up online. We found one local man it happened to.

Don Bodiker uses a popular file sharing program to swap music and other information over the internet. He also uses his computer to prepare his taxes.

He never thought the two had anything to do with each other, until he got a call. "I had no idea who he was or what he was. I just thought he was a typical telemarketer," Bodiker said of the call. "And he wanted to inform me that my tax returns were being posted out on the internet. I was very skeptical but he then proceeded to tell me some very specific details about my tax return."

File sharing software allows you to download files stored in certain shared folders on other users' computers. The flipside is they can also download files from your shared folder. There's a folder on their computer the Bodikers use store the music files they wanted to share. What they didn't realize is that their tax return software saved their returns in the very same place.

"Oh my God, I thought everybody and anybody knows exactly what my social security number is, my address, you know, anything that I had that was pertinent on there that could be used as an identity theft process," said Bodiker.

And he's not alone. A simple search on the file sharing network for the word "tax" turned up hundreds of returns. "It's made me more aware of the possibilities of programs that you attach to your computer," said Bodiker. "Ultimately, if you don't have to keep it on your computer, make a hard copy, and file it away. And that's always the best thing."

That's some good, old-fashioned advice for the information age.

The good Samaritan who called Bodiker--he only wants to be identified as Jeff--says he's called dozens of others and has plenty more to go. He says if you use file sharing, just be careful your shared folder is not the one you save sensitive information to.

Fortunately it looks like Bodiker caught the problem before his information spread.

This is not the only trouble associated with file sharing software. People can also get into trouble for swapping copyrighted material. There is content out there that's free and meant to be shared. You just need to make sure your private information doesn't go with it.

View Don Bodiker's tax return info here:

Edited by Hades

*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 12:10pm
#1 biotches...

I was the first.

Hades
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
paintballman_13 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballman_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 12:13pm
2nd for me

The Mars Volta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Mars Volta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 12:21pm
3rd.  Do I still get a prize?
tippmannboy2 View Drop Down
I donít believe in Karma. I just donít.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmannboy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 12:25pm
3rd
Long Live The Confederacy

I am an AMERICAN AND IM PROUD OF IT!
cdacda13 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Yes, spelled secual.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdacda13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 12:26pm
i got dupped. i was 5th
tippmannboy2 View Drop Down
I donít believe in Karma. I just donít.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmannboy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 12:28pm
it said i was third im gonna shoot u in the knee cap
Long Live The Confederacy

I am an AMERICAN AND IM PROUD OF IT!
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 1:57pm
i just got trout smacked...number 7
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 2:02pm
HADES! Smacking me with a trout, whats-a-matta-you?
///AMG What?
TruePaintballer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Spam 11-19

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruePaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 2:36pm

13th argh

Its a sick world when we want to see ones tax return

Edited by TruePaintballer
Outlaws
*Sponsors*
Abrika
Badonka View Drop Down
Look at me! I posted an F-bomb in my sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badonka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 2:39pm

Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

#1 biotches...

I was the first.

Hades

...yeah I thought you left?

Artist formerly known as ItsJustMe.
Who happens to still be too immature to post on this forum. Good Bye.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Badonka Badonka wrote:

Originally posted by *Stealth* *Stealth* wrote:

#1 biotches...

I was the first.

Hades

...yeah I thought you left?

Since I have been doing well in catching up with my school... I have been granted a bit of internet time back...
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 2:57pm

Kazaa is great - I have downloaded everything from shopping lists to party invitations (with directions) to family picture albums.  People are idiots, and Kazaa is Darwinism in action.

Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 3:20pm
Go me I didn't click. Mainly because the story seemed boring to me but meh..
I need a new Sig...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic