Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Terry Schiavo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
cadet_sergeant View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More power to deflector shields, Scotty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadet_sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

Its stupid.  What they're doing is tourturing this woman.  They took her off of life support for a week, then the husband decides he wants her to live and goes to court and gets the feeding tube put back in her.  Now her family wants the tube out because they think its wrong to prolong something that will just end in death and its been surfaced that the husband has been living with another woman for quite some time now...its wrong.  Also, as you know, Jeb Bush is gov. of florida.  He went to his brother and since his bro is the president and 2/3rds of the govt. is conservative, they passed a law to keep her alive.  The bill isn't really about her, but the controversey from her case sparked the law.  I am totally against what is happening right now.  The husband is just keeping her alive so he can get her money...or something like that...im not sure, but the husband is a **edited**.

Im not mad about the fact bush passes any damn law he wants while letting important bills and laws die on his desk.  Im more worried that he feels he can do whatever he wants unchallenged, and he can.  With bush in control of 2/3rds of the govt, it is basically a monarchy, with certain checks and balances to keep him from becoming an absolute ruler.  Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread...my bad, i kinda went out on a tangent.

just because 2/3 of the government is conservative doesnt mean Bush can do what ever he wants, regular people like us put those people in charge, if you dontlike it, do something (legal) about it, there are 450+ reps (453 i think) and 100 senitors, why dont you help another canitates campaine? or run yourself (im not sure if your of age or not)?
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 8:58pm

Originally posted by Knight of Fire Knight of Fire wrote:

...so far theres been a doctor, who uses parts of dead people to sudy, said theres no point keeping her alive, and aparently he struck a deal with the husband... the husband kills his wife and gives her body parts to the doc..... the doc gives the husband a whole lot of benjamins. ...

At some point during this transaction, was Elvis sighted?  Or perhaps some aliens, or the world's biggest baby?

Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:05pm

Here's legislation Bush signed in 1999 that allowed hospitals to remove life support from patients that were deemed "hopeless." It was originally designed for adults, but in 2003 there was an amendment to make it apply to minors as well.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/HS/content/htm/ hs.002.00.000166.0 0.htm

Also, The one-page memo, distributed to Republican senators by party leaders, called the debate over Schiavo legislation "a great political issue" that would appeal to the party's base, or core, supporters. The memo singled out Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., who is up for re-election next year.

"This is an important moral issue, and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue," said the memo, reported by ABC News and later given to The Washington Post. "This is a great political issue, because Senator Nelson of Florida has already refused to become a co-sponsor and this is a tough issue for Democrats."

They're scum.  They gripe about "activist judges" and do this to get rid of a Florida Senator in an upcoming election.  They'll boohoo about this woman while cutting aid to veterans, children, etc.

Knight of Fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knight of Fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:10pm
You don't get it do you........The husband wants her dead so he can get rich. And let me put it this way. if the husband just wanted to leave terry to marry this other woman, yet terrys family has said you can divorce her right now, then why hasn't he done so.....
Team Wardog -team captain
BLand View Drop Down
Guested - Complete idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:10pm
I myself, and I'm sure many others, think that I would be better off dead then having to live under conditions as to being fed paste through a tube. I see being in her condition as living death.
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:13pm

You don't get it do you........The husband wants her dead so he can get rich. And let me put it this way. if the husband just wanted to leave terry to marry this other woman, yet terrys family has said you can divorce her right now, then why hasn't he done so.....

Well thats always a possibility. But its his wife. Hes been paying through the nose for her hospital bill. He still cares about her. And no one should be bullied out of a mariage. The vows say, till death do us part, and for better or worse and in sickness and helth. Hes doing the right thing.
cadet_sergeant View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
More power to deflector shields, Scotty!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadet_sergeant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Badsmitty Badsmitty wrote:

They're scum.  They gripe about "activist judges" and do this to get rid of a Florida Senator in an upcoming election.  They'll boohoo about this woman while cutting aid to veterans, children, etc.
they just signed 150 million dollars to vets, and how are they taking away from children? money given to education? more money has been put into education in bushs first 4 years as president that Clintens (SP?) 8 years in office. please explane how their taking from children.
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:15pm

He was offered a million to divorce her, but refused.  Maybe he is making sure that her wishes are carried out.  Maybe the Republicans should live up to that sanctity of marriage zeal that they love so much and let her husband decide.  Maybe the Republicans should live up to that "states rights" zeal that they espouse incessantly and let the state decide which they have done 17 times already.

Knight of Fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knight of Fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:28pm
Ever hear of the phrase "follow the money"........

also kinda rediculus that terrys own family can't even giver her a drink or some ice cubes.......

I stick to my opinion......The husband: A) wants some more money and B) he wants to hide something.
Team Wardog -team captain
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:32pm

Originally posted by cadet_sergeant cadet_sergeant wrote:

Originally posted by Badsmitty Badsmitty wrote:

they just signed 150 million dollars to vets, and how are they taking away from children? money given to education? more money has been put into education in bushs first 4 years as president that Clintens (SP?) 8 years in office. please explane how their taking from children.

Wow, you skipped the memo and the legislation signed by G.W. that I posted that is directly pertinent to the thread and attack the Clintons.  Tell you what, let's save the children and the veterans for a different thread and discuss the memo and the legislation that I posted.  I was wrong to post anything about veterans and children in this thread.  O.K.?  Now about the legislation, memo, sanctity of marriage and states rights...

Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 9:35pm

Ever hear of the phrase "follow the money"........

also kinda rediculus that terrys own family can't even giver her a drink or some ice cubes.......

I stick to my opinion......The husband: A) wants some more money and B) he wants to hide something.

O.K., She's been vegetative for 15 years.  He's been offered money to divorce her.  She doesn't appear to be waking up and turning states evidence and he's turned down money to divorce her.  Anything else?

Da Best View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Best Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 10:03pm
Ok everybody what do you think about this-Say your dog was in the same condition as Terry and it had a feeding tube.  Would you remove the tube and let it die?

Edited by Da Best
Strife_17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strife_17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 10:05pm
dog vs human... just a little different... just a little minute(sp?) difference
goodsmitty View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Childish Insults 3/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 10:12pm

Originally posted by cadet_sergeant cadet_sergeant wrote:

well lets just leave the fact that her husband left her 12 years ago (when she was first hospitalized) and went and started another family out of it. They also believe that he may want her dead to hid some secrets. how would you want your spouse to make those decisions, when your spouse is so quick to leave you?

By that time she would have been in her vegetative state for three years. That's three years alone for him. THREE YEARS. He is a young man.

You and all of the conservative radio hosts are quick to condemn this man for wanting to get on with his life. Many people who have been married 30 years or more remarry within a year of their spouse dying, so give the man a break.

And I vote with badsmitty-maybe he didn't divorce her because he loved her and wanted to see her wishes through. Since we don't know the facts, why don't we err on the side of compassion for the man instead of villifying him.

And, I would like to point out, that at the same time the world appears to be melting down around us, congress is busy stepping into state business and interviewing baseball players. They have better things to be doing right now, but I'm sure this is a welcome diversion from their daily scandals and inefficiency.

"Reading this thread, I'm sad to say that the only difference between the average American and the average Taliban is economic status."
-Zesty

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 10:20pm
Personally I don't have much of an opinion on rather she should live or die...All I know is that I wouldn't want to live like that....

As far as congress getting involved and passing that stupid bill last night...I really think that they need to keep their fricken noses where they belong. I mean not only are they being hippocrits after preaching small government and less governmental interfearence in our lives and passing a bill that allows hospitals to "unplug" someone before allowing their family to find another hospital(what do you expect it's big business) but to me this equates to the **edited** marriage issue in that it should NOT be a concern for our national government. I mean, the state has decided. Leave it at that. All of this government interdiction is everyday stuff really kind of scares me. Pretty soon they'll be ruling on speeding tickets and telling us when we can eat dinner.....And besides, it's not like they don't have many many extreemly more important things to worry about....

Note: this was posted before reading the thread.

Edited by .Ryan

pb125 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 language strike, 10/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 10:27pm

Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

Let her die.

Seriously, she doesn't even know she exists. I feel bad for her. I'm sure if she could talk she would tell everyone to let her die already.

-me

Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 11:08pm
I sort of agree with Knight. It seems to me that there is a reason that Michael Shiavo wants her dead. But that may be the conpiratorial side of me showing through.

But my coworker brought of a very good point today. It is cruel, and is a felony in some places to let your DOG starve to death. If they are going to let poor woman die, then at least be humane and put here out of her misery, instead of just removing the feeding tube and making her endure a week or more of the pain of starvation/dehydration.
A-5 08 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

The mob rules!!! Get the pitchforks!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 11:58pm
Well her is my in:

When you become of age 21/18 your parents have no legal control over you and when you become married your spouse has say in what happens to you.

Bythe way does this predicament remind anyone of the movie million dollar baby?

it is a lot a like you guys should check it out...
AdmiralSenn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdmiralSenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 12:02am
I haven't confirmed this yet (pending some spare time) but supposedly there are recordings within the last week of Terry conversing. I have the links, but haven't played with them yet.

I'd rather keep her alive. I imagine this: My dad is a diabetic (true). Say he was in the hospital, in a coma and hadn't spoken for weeks, and was by all accounts going to die. Removing life support would stop what pain he is aware of. Would I do it?

No. There is always the possibility that there will be a cure, or a person will suddenly snap out of their condition, and they may go on to do great things with their added years (incidentally, this is very similar to part of my stance on abortion).

Even if they do allow her to die, starvation is one of the more cruel ways to do it that isn't barred by the Geneva Conventions. It's essentially euthanasia, except that the doctor isn't directly killing the patient, but it amounts to the same thing. If it's legal to allow someone to die after a medical procedure that if left undone would help the person to survive, then euthanasia is next. Within fifty years we could see the death penalty enforced for even minor crimes, then aborting any children not in our population quota, etc. (If this sounds extreme, keep in mind that Clark Kent and I still occasionally argue over a document quoting Thomas Jefferson's personal correspondence. That document is still used as a legal precedent for actions. A decision like this is even more concrete. If a personal letter can lead to what some consider a double standard in religious policy, a court decision could do the things I have outlined much more easily).

Remember that I don't expect any of that to happen, but they become substantially more likely as cases like this crop up.

From what I have read, Terry is not vegetative and even if she did state her wish to die, it was only if she was vegetative. Pending my listening to these files, I contend that she should be kept alive.

(Note: The information contained in this post is not intended to start a debate. If you want to, send me a PM, don't hijack this thread).
Is God real? You'll find out when you die.

Okay, I don't have a clever signature zinger. So sue me.
BlackDeath7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDeath7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2005 at 1:06am
I agree with Senn, as I usually do.  Terry Schiavo should be allowed to live.  Who are any of us to say what she wants?  She supposedly said she wanted to die if she was in a vegetative state.  First off her husband wants to be with another woman and would probably do anything to make his goal a reality.  Second, she IS NOT vegetative.  If any of you people have seen the tapes of her you would be convinced.  She can look around the room and make vague facial expressions and things like that.  Besides it isn't for certain that she will remain in her present state forever.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/nat_world/021205_APnat_br aindamage.html

There is always hope.  Keep fighting Terry.

Brett Favre gets sacked again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic