Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Affirmative Action

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
MattyJ View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Affirmative Action
    Posted: 10 March 2005 at 9:11am

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the subject. Personally, I think its a racist program that has kept some very smart white students out of good schools in favor of their "less advantage minority" classmates. I personally have been screwed by this program, as I was rejected by my top choice school but a classmate of mine got in.  Now don't all start flaming and calling me a racist, hear me out.

GPA: Mine, 3.7. His, 3.3

SAT scores: Mine, 660 Verbal, 800 math. His, 600 verbal 650 math.

Extracurricular Activities: Mine- Boy Scouts (eagle scout and assistant scoutmaster), marching band (vice president), jazz band, concert choir (soloist), acapella group, men's choir, science league(state champ), math league (team high scorer), drama club (5 leading roles), intermural baseball. His........ none

Interview: Mine- I went and was told by the interviewer that I would make an "excellent fit at MIT". His- He didn't go to his interview...

Skin Color: Mine- White, His- Black

Now what you must understand is that he does not come from some "poor, disadvantaged minority family living in the ghetto." No, he comes from a middle class family living in new jersey suburbia. And as for being a minority, my school was 50% black, 20% white, and 30% hispanic, asian, and indian. So don't give me that minority crap.

I was pretty bummed when I got rejected, but when I found out that he stole my space, I was furious. And he knew why he got in. He even said to me, "Come on, you know you never really had a chance." F that buddy, I'm better and you know it... 

Anyone else feel strongly about Affirmative Action, either for or against it? If you're just gonna post flaming stuff or meaningless statement, don't bother. Please.

98 Custom
HK G36C Appearance
70/4500 Dye Throttle
Ricochet AK
Polished Internals
Aluminum Power Tube
Dye Sticky 3 Grips

Next on the list:
???
MT. Vigilante View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 9:33am

I agree with you, I hate racists and racism in any form, and so they need to judge people by there abilities not color. I hate it when people accuse people who share this opinion of being racists because we are not, I want all people who have the ability to go to college to go, but only if they do have the ability.

Edited by MT. Vigilante
Join the XP Re-Revolution!
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 9:33am
meh.... its just reverse racism... everyone is just too politically correct. 

Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 10:27am
I realized the same thing years ago.  I'm 16.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 11:14am
It isnt always about your GPA...

MattyJ View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 11:17am

Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

It isnt always about your GPA...

Yes, I know that. But when your GPA is better, SAT's are higher, have a plethera of extracurricular activities (compared to none), and actually show up to your interview, I think that would start to matter.

98 Custom
HK G36C Appearance
70/4500 Dye Throttle
Ricochet AK
Polished Internals
Aluminum Power Tube
Dye Sticky 3 Grips

Next on the list:
???
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 11:20am
Now you know to apply to more than one college at a time... Try looking into a community college to get your start.

dtfastj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtfastj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 11:33am

Now you know to apply to more than one college at a time... Try looking into a community college to get your start.
Its messed up that it happen but thats life. 
A-5 RT$380
Double Trigger$29.95
Flatline$149.95
16in All American$75
WGP 70ci 45 CarbonFiber$200
ETC = $1026.75
Whomping newbies who have Markers that cost more than my entire setup...PRICELESS
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 11:41am
I think it's stupid too, if someone is qualified, they're qualified. Everyone is fighting to be treated equally, by asking for special treatment.....thats not equal... Every time I bring it up someone rants on about stuff that happened way back so I just shut up.
dtfastj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtfastj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 11:57am

Yeah your right it is stupid.  Its just like getting a job.  The more qualified white guy wont get the job if they need "minority".  Hopefully one day all this will be changed and equal will really mean equal. 

Until then I'll just reek in the benefits.

JK

A-5 RT$380
Double Trigger$29.95
Flatline$149.95
16in All American$75
WGP 70ci 45 CarbonFiber$200
ETC = $1026.75
Whomping newbies who have Markers that cost more than my entire setup...PRICELESS
MattyJ View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 12:42pm

This was 3 years ago. I did apply to a bunch more schools, and got accepted into all of them. I had to take my second choice, but I'm very happy with where I'm at. I'm now at RPI, one of the top engineering schools in the country. Like I said, I'm happy with it, I just wish that I wasn't forced out of my top choice by racism.

98 Custom
HK G36C Appearance
70/4500 Dye Throttle
Ricochet AK
Polished Internals
Aluminum Power Tube
Dye Sticky 3 Grips

Next on the list:
???
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 1:22pm

okay wait...you are **edited**ing about something that happened three years ago?  Wow...I feel sorry for anyone who has ever wronged you.

Now, about the affermative action thing...its total bull**edited**.  It doesn't matter what skin color you are, if youre black and smarter than a white guy than you should go to college, if you're white and smarter than a black guy then that guy should go to college...

"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 1:26pm
Racism, rriigghhtt....

Good job spotting that one, Enstien.

MattyJ View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 1:39pm

Racism, rriigghhtt....

Good job spotting that one, Enstien.

Well, I can tell which way you lean...

98 Custom
HK G36C Appearance
70/4500 Dye Throttle
Ricochet AK
Polished Internals
Aluminum Power Tube
Dye Sticky 3 Grips

Next on the list:
???
MattyJ View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

okay wait...you are **edited**ing about something that happened three years ago?  Wow...I feel sorry for anyone who has ever wronged you.

nah, I just wanted to bring up the subject of racism, I mean affirmative action. In order to explain why I feel so strongly about it, I needed to tell the whole story. Its not like I sit at home every night plotting the doom of this kid. I stopped doing that months ago....

98 Custom
HK G36C Appearance
70/4500 Dye Throttle
Ricochet AK
Polished Internals
Aluminum Power Tube
Dye Sticky 3 Grips

Next on the list:
???
cripple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cripple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by MattyJ MattyJ wrote:

Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

nah, I just wanted to bring up the subject of racism, I mean affirmative action. In order to explain why I feel so strongly about it, I needed to tell the whole story. Its not like I sit at home every night plotting the doom of this kid. I stopped doing that months ago....

hahaha

we were talking about that in class today it is mess up and there realy isnt much you can do i feel sorry for u

**Sig was too big**
**Sig edited for language** ~Reb
whoknowswho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whoknowswho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 2:00pm
I think affirmative action is stupid. It serves no point but to make distinctions between black and white. Since we are all equal, why aren't we all treated the same? I don't care if you happen to be green: if you are the most qualified person, you get the spot. If you aren't, then that is too bad.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 2:08pm

You guys throw around the phrase "affirmative action" like it is a simple thing.  Saying that you are for or against "affirmative action" makes about as much sense as being for or against "gun control" or "war" or "tort reform".

Affirmative action is a collection of complex policies and practices.  It might be helpful to specify what exactly you are for or against.

But as to the situation at hand - there are a couple of questions.  The first one is "why do you believe that race was the deciding factor, or even a significant factor?"

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 2:24pm
Argument for AA within college admissions.

Arguement against AA within college admissions.

Originally posted by Relevant Quote Relevant Quote wrote:

The Argument: There are several factors that a college should take into account when considering applicants, such as grades, test scores, and extra-curricular achievements. However, an applicant's race is not a legitimate factor to take into consideration because it is outside of the student's control. It is impossible for a college to consider every aspect of a student's background when making admissions decisions. Why focus on race in particular, as opposed to the thousands of other aspects that differentiate students from one another?

The Response: The purpose of the college admissions process is not to reward merit but to get the best overall student body. Insofar as affirmative action increases the diversity of the student community, it makes for a better learning environment.

Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

traded 2yo strike for crappy title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 2:51pm
I say remove the "racial background" box from any application altogether, unless it has relevance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic