FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Affirmative Action

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - 3 Strikes and hes out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2005 at 10:23am
^^Nonono, I think you misread my rant! LOL

I guess I'm kinda for affirmative action, even though the core of it sounds like something I'd be against.

My main point of the rant is to say I'm a race that is supposed to be a majority(white/caucasian), but I've lived a life where I have been a definite minority! (living in a 99% mexican community)

So basically, I get tired of white people constantly being viwed as the "man" who is keeping everybody down.

In my neck of the woods, we are the minority.

So basically, feel sorry for me just like you feel sorry for every other minority.

If anything, I have put up with more racism and descrimination against me because of my race than most people who complain about it all the time.

But like I said, I'm sure I've benefitted from "sticking out" as much as it's hurt me.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2005 at 11:20am

You are right - I did misread your quasi-rant.   

But I agree with your actual rant as much as I agreed with the imagined rant.

:)

AdmiralSenn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdmiralSenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2005 at 1:33am
Argh. Typed a medium-length response and lost it.

Basically, I agree with Hairball's post and Tae's comment on economic status. I also agree with some of the points MattyJ made, but the amount of digging necessary to uncover them made me just disregard the middle 7 pages of this thread.

I have a really simple system of what colleges should be looking for - Intelligence/Aptitude, Economic status, and school history. Race, gender, and so on would only appear in questions of dorm placement, and even that should be waaay down the list.

We don't need to shove every race down every other race's throat. That won't solve the problem of discrimination. You can give all the preferential treatment to blacks you want, but if those blacks in particular are of the unambitious ghetto veriety, nothing will change. Instead of promoting any race, focus on making each race want to succeed on its own. All the ghettos, regardless of who lives there, disgust me - not because anyone's poor or anything, but because, as someone said already, the people in them are just not motivated. It's most obvious in blacks, but the different races form subcultures in groups, and the groups supported by most affirmative action programs are the ones with the most people who just never tried to go to college. Maybe they were smart enough, but they never finished high school, so it's irrelevant.

THAT is what needs to change, not the college application process. If affirmative action means motivating people, then I support it. If it means giving baseless preferential treatments to people based on race and not ability, then I'm definitely against it. If somebody is not qualified to attend a college, they should not be accepted simply because they're <insert minority term here>. Ditto for comparing two students of different race - race shouldn't even be considered for that.

If there are any black people or anybody else reading this who is offended by my post, I'm sorry. I don't think I said anything offensive, and I didn't mean anything I wrote to be offensive. I simply call things as I see them.

Special Clark Kent disclaimer: Before you waste any time trying to insist that 'not all ghettos are full of unambitious people' or anything of that sort based on what appears to be a broad generalization on my part, understand that I'm speaking of things I have seen and of the people who do fit my description of things, not all <insert race here> people. I found five spots already that this applies to. Don't waste your time or mine on those statements, you probably can figure out what I mean.

Edited by AdmiralSenn
Is God real? You'll find out when you die.

Okay, I don't have a clever signature zinger. So sue me.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2005 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

What Hades is saying is that having a diverse student population improves the education for everybody.  It doesn't improve the math class, but it does improve the informal culture/life class that happens before and after math class.

Just curious, but isnt collage SUPPOSED to be all about math class and not about whats after and before?  I know that collage is the middle ground between being supported by your parents and being on your own so diversity is importent but the primary goal I always thought was to learn.

Even if learning is not the main goal of the students or parents it should be for the Collage rather than the social life. 

I guess AA kinda makes sense when you look at how the program SHOULD run and the theory behind it, but I do not care for how it is run today.

*Sigh* Remind Darur not to think at 9 at night.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2005 at 8:31am

Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Just curious, but isnt collage SUPPOSED to be all about math class and not about whats after and before? 

Obviously a matter of opinion, but I would say no.  The purpose of college is to prepare you for the rest of your life.  Some of what you need you will learn in class, and much of it before and after.

Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - 3 Strikes and hes out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2005 at 6:36pm
I'm not as deep or intelligent as many of you, so I'm not even gonna try and front.

But I'll say this....I think that the first priority of anyone in charge of hiring a new employee(or recruiting a new student) should be the overall improvement of whatever establishment they are representing.

What improvement means to one person may mean the opposite to everyone else, so it's hard to say what's more important in society.

I don't know, I'm just really sober right now so I don't even really feel like typing, but yeah.
xteam02001 View Drop Down

Good Job On Getting Yourself Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xteam02001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2005 at 6:52pm
oh boy

Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life.
Open my eyes and blind me with your light
and your lies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic