Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sight on 98 custom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
98customfinatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98customfinatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sight on 98 custom
    Posted: 09 March 2005 at 1:06am
i think some one should fix the hopper wobble on the 98 custom with out haveing to stick somthing inbetween the elbow and the site button ( the thing that releases the elbow), and the  lil plastic  sight in the back should be made out of metal. thats my 2 cents
98c
m4 stock
remote line
rocket cock 2
superfly bolt
double trigger
freakjr 14"
.693 inserts
home made forgrip

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2005 at 2:09am
The stock sights are garbage anyway. Get a red dot sight and you're all set, or at least some kind of proper iron sights. Not those garbage ones that come built in.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
MT. Vigilante View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2005 at 5:00pm

Sights are worthless in paintball, mostly the people who are really good shots donít use them. And you can fix the wobble by using gasket maker to make a custom o-ring around the hole in the side of the Marker that the elbow fits over, however, I personally prefer vert feeds and whould like to modify my Tippmann to have one.

Join the XP Re-Revolution!
garnet_ghst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garnet_ghst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2005 at 7:59pm
Sights are normaly useless. i just shoot a few times and see what i hit. if i hit nothing i point at something else and try to hit it.

^My 98 Custom
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2005 at 11:18pm
Despite what they may say, once you get your sights calibrated right for a given range, you don't NEED to fire multiple shots- you can get the elimination in one shot if you aim properly. Sight yourself in for a given range, and for anything closer or farther you can quickly learn to adjust or aim off to hit them. A good red-dot sight is an excellent piece of kit. From your kit list I assume you're a woodsballer- sights are great in the woods, because you can ambush someone without the first 4 or 5 shots doing nothing but warn them what's happening.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 6:28am
Dont get any type of scope for your marker, its only there jus to make the marker look more intimidating and dont rely on using the sights on any marker as well....you will never get a bullseye, if you really want to get a bullseye on a target...use your own eyes and remember we're all shooting wit paint markers....not real firearms.
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 9:57am

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Despite what they may say, once you get your sights calibrated right for a given range, you don't NEED to fire multiple shots- you can get the elimination in one shot if you aim properly. Sight yourself in for a given range, and for anything closer or farther you can quickly learn to adjust or aim off to hit them. A good red-dot sight is an excellent piece of kit. From your kit list I assume you're a woodsballer- sights are great in the woods, because you can ambush someone without the first 4 or 5 shots doing nothing but warn them what's happening.

First of all its called sighting in, second of all you canít really sight in a Marker because they arenít accurate enough, I mean we arenít talking about firearms here, unlike firearms even the most accurate paintball marker will never fire in the same way twice, so sights are useless because they stay fixed on one spot and the odds of a paintball going to that spot are not that good.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 12:30pm
Well, having extensive experience with real firearms, and a fair bit of experience with paintball, I can tell you that they do work. With a good barrel, you can shoot a 2-6" grouping out to 75 feet with your paintball marker. That's smaller than a human head, adn much smaller than a torso. If you can shoot that grouping, you can sight in your sights for the center of it. That way, you know your shot will be within three inches of where you lay your sights. As long as you're aiming for center of mass, it most definitely IS possible to use them effectively. Even at longer range, a torso shot is easily accomplished with a good barrel and air source. If you can shoot a 6 inch grouping at 75, you should be able to shoot a 12" grouping at 100-125ft; you can get barrels that wil be accurate to the outer edge of the paintball's effective range.

A real firearm wil seldom fire in the same wayt wice. That's why refer to it as the 'principle of grouping'; "a series of shots fired form the same position with th same point of aim will seldom pass through the same trajectory, instead forming a pattern on the target. That patern is the group." That is almost verbatim out of the small arms coaching course I'm on right now, and clearly it can be directly applied to paintball, just at shorter ranges. Sure, you'll never sight in a marker at 200 feet- even though a shot can go that far with enough arc. But sight yourself in at 75 or so, aim a bit high for anything farther, and aim a bit low or dead on for anything closer. Particularly with a flat trajectory flatline barrel this can be very effective. The sights will tell you where the center of your group will be, and dependingn on the range you can fire sufficient shots to ensure the target is hit, or at closer ranges, a single shot with a reliable chance of a hit.

evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 3:45pm
Groupings on a target can be achieved without using the sights on a marker or a scope...Ive done it many times (and so many others) while adjusting and using the Flatline or any of the barrels I have at a woodsball field shooting/chrono range....you have to remember as well, a ball being fired from any paint gun can be clearly seen by the human eye....you can see it travel to its intended target, unlike a real bullet being fired from a real gun.
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 4:05pm
Oh, I know but you won't encessarily know exactly where that grouping will be with just the first few shots. You have to fire several shots for a good proper grouping. With sights, you'll know where the center of your grouping is before even opening fire, which is very useful when conducting an ambush, or any situation where you'll only get a couple free shots before they dive for cover.

Sights will always be more consistent than sighting down the barrel, because a proper sight picture will ensure that your eye is lined up properly relative to the marker, whereas sighting down the barrel will still put you off a bit in most cases. Sights just plain work- it's been proved time and time again by many woodsballers.

Gold Member
Gold Member
Captain America

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MT. Vigilante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2005 at 5:00pm

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Oh, I know but you won't encessarily know exactly where that grouping will be with just the first few shots. You have to fire several shots for a good proper grouping. With sights, you'll know where the center of your grouping is before even opening fire, which is very useful when conducting an ambush, or any situation where you'll only get a couple free shots before they dive for cover.

Sights will always be more consistent than sighting down the barrel, because a proper sight picture will ensure that your eye is lined up properly relative to the marker, whereas sighting down the barrel will still put you off a bit in most cases. Sights just plain work- it's been proved time and time again by many woodsballers.

You make a good point, so yes I agree that for some people (as long as you have a good gun and the skills) sights may work, however, you must realize that an even larger majority of woodsballers prove every day that sighting down the barrel works just as well with markers.

Ps. I have had a lot of experience with firearms as well. And paintball markers too.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic