Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I... Cant... Do it...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I... Cant... Do it...
    Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:14pm
This riddle, i cant figure it out.

A rectangular room measures 30 feet in length and 12 feet in height, and the ends are 12 feet in width. A fly, with a broken wing, rests at a point one foot down from the ceiling at the middle of one end. A smudge of food is located one foot up from the floor at the middle of the other end. The fly has just enough energy to WALK 40 feet. Show that there is a path along which the fly can walk that will enable it to get to the food.

The fly cant fall onto the floor/food and is in the center of the 12' x 12' walls, meaning 6' away from either of the 30' walls. Same with the food. The fly also cant fly because his wing is broken.
///AMG What?
cdacda13 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Yes, spelled secual.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdacda13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:16pm

damn thats hard

St. Jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St. Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:16pm
lemme think about it.
Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:18pm
Math hurts me.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
Frozen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:31pm
sweet jeebus, it burns
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by NiQ-Toto NiQ-Toto wrote:

and is in the center of the 12' x 12' walls, meaning 6' away from either of the 30' walls. Same with the food.
To clarify, because people in chat are dumb and dont get it, walls =/= floor/ceiling. This means the fly is 1 foot from the ceiling, 6 feet from either wall and 11 feet from the floor. The food is 11 feet from the ceiling, 6 feet from either wall and 1 foot from the floor.

Hope this helps.
///AMG What?
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:36pm

and is in the center of the 12' x 12' walls, meaning 6' away from either of the 30' walls. Same with the food.
To clarify, because people in chat are dumb and dont get it, walls =/= floor/ceiling. This means the fly is 1 foot from the ceiling, 6 feet from either wall and 11 feet from the floor. The food is 11 feet from the ceiling, 6 feet from either wall and 1 foot from the floor.

Hope this helps.
That did no clarifying for me. Confused me if anything.
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:38pm

Problem solved.

Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Trogdor2 Trogdor2 wrote:

Math hurts me.
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Frozen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by You Wont See Me You Wont See Me wrote:

Hope this helps.
That did no clarifying for me. Confused me if anything.

tippmannboy2 View Drop Down
I donít believe in Karma. I just donít.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmannboy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:44pm
i just got out of school why do i want more.
Long Live The Confederacy

I am an AMERICAN AND IM PROUD OF IT!
Sumo_Monkey22 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I’m too sexy for my teeth ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sumo_Monkey22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:56pm
im guessing you would use the pythagreum therum or however thats spelled (a squared + b squared = c squared) To the the diagnal and use that as a short cut.
MattyJ View Drop Down
Strike 2 - Spam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by Sumo_Monkey22 Sumo_Monkey22 wrote:

im guessing you would use the pythagreum therum or however thats spelled (a squared + b squared = c squared) To the the diagnal and use that as a short cut.

A straight line from the fly to the food is 21.62 feet, but that would involve the fly flying/falling.  Seeing as you said this is a riddle and based on the geometry of the situation, my guess is that it can't actually be done, but instead will be accomplished by some kind of loophole. 

98 Custom
HK G36C Appearance
70/4500 Dye Throttle
Ricochet AK
Polished Internals
Aluminum Power Tube
Dye Sticky 3 Grips

Next on the list:
???
Frozen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 5:19pm
I found the answer, it IS solvable, it involves little actual math, have fun.
Smitty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Murdock ... Iím cominí ta get YOU!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Problem solved.

Agreed.
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 6:35pm

um...yeah, why are we helping a fly get food?  Flys suck.

oh yeah, the answer is 5.

"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
bluemunky42 View Drop Down
Guested. Middle Finger post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluemunky42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 6:55pm
the answer is 5? wtf does that mean
santy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote santy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 7:09pm
^^ :sarcasm:
Can't stand the heat, stay out of the street.

Revenge is a dish best served with a side of whoop-ass.
jimbob_07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbob_07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2005 at 4:05pm

ill ask my geometry teacher

JESUS IS MY SALVATION!

blk 98c
14" whisper
14" quiet riot
exp. chamber
remote
carbine stock
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic