FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No death penalty for juveniles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No death penalty for juveniles
    Posted: 01 March 2005 at 3:39pm

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514& e=1&u=/ap/20050301/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_death_penalty_1 1

Wow, quite an upset in the Supreme Court. However, at least this is one more step in the right direction, in my opinion.

Hysteria View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2 - Language, 9/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 3:45pm
I dont know.  At first, I agree with it, but the more I think about it, the more I'm against it.  Someone my age -16- knows full and well what they are doing when they pull the proverbial trigger.  I'm not too sure how I feel about it right now.  I'll think about it, and post again later.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 3:48pm
It's very understandable, it's a very difficult issue to come to a consensus on, everyone has their points. I just disagree with the death penalty as a whole and am excited to see it's getting taken out bit by bit.
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:07pm
I'm glad that the Court left teenagers sole purpose in life intact...Dying on the big screen at the hands of serial killers and monsters.
Trogdor2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trogdor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:07pm
I saw it on the news an hour ago.  I say it's a good thing.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what. That is what our knowledge amounts to. - Sir Arthur Eddington
St. Jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St. Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:10pm
I say it's a bad thing. Any mass murderer deseves to die. Regardless of age.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:10pm

I agree Badsmitty.

Anyhow, it was interesting to see who voted, who gave the opinion, and the two different dissenting opinions.

I just don't think anyone, especially a government, has the right to put it's citizens to death, regardless of the crime committed.

Edited by Dune
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:44pm
An impresionable 16 year old shoots someone. 10 years go by. He is no 26 and about to be put to death. Would you say that he is a different person. Now that he is 26? A child is very much like a sponge. Its how we learn. We observe and emulate what we see in our society. The actions he exibits are in direct relation to what he sees. If he grows up listening to music that does nothing but glorify violence, there is a good chance he will grow up violent. Juveniles are too impresionable to take such a harsh measure for punishment.
PlentifulBalls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Tons of em’

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlentifulBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:44pm
Pfft...if anything they need to increase the death penalty.

sporx wrote:
well...ya i prolly will be a virgin till i'm at least 30.
Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by St. Jimmy St. Jimmy wrote:

I say it's a bad thing. Any mass murderer deseves to die. Regardless of age.
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by PlentifulBalls PlentifulBalls wrote:

I wish that Lee Boyd Malvo kid. He should be put to death by stoneing. I think the death penalty should be quicker. It takes years and years for it to be carried out.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:51pm

Originally posted by PlentifulBalls PlentifulBalls wrote:

Unfortunately, people think like that. The death penalty serves no purpose other than revenge, and revenge should never be a source for punishment.

PlentifulBalls View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Tons of em’

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlentifulBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:52pm
My last statement was chock-full of sacasm.

sporx wrote:
well...ya i prolly will be a virgin till i'm at least 30.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 5:04pm

I definitely understand, especially from previous posts.

The death penalty takes forever for a reason, but it still doesn't make it right. It's not a deterrent, has killed and imprisoned innocent people, and is just plain murder of a society's citizens.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 5:08pm
Why should the state pay for cable television, 3 meals a day. Doctor visits, dental, all that, in some cases the tax payer doesnt have it this good. The prisoner in jail for 350 years for killing 6 people in a restaraunt shooting deserves to be put to death. At this point, he is a burden to society.
tippmannboy2 View Drop Down
I donít believe in Karma. I just donít.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmannboy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 5:08pm
I think that if you raped someone then you should be raped and put in jail. If you killed someone say.... with a rock then you should be killed with rock about a day after your trial.
And if the coroner says the person you killed died slowly and pain fully you should die slowly and painfuly. And i think that if you torture someone then they should torture you untill the brink of death.

But nobody really cares what i think so it dont really matter.
Long Live The Confederacy

I am an AMERICAN AND IM PROUD OF IT!
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 5:10pm

Eye for an eye just is not civillized, not in a society that preaches freedom.

Anyways, Dib, you act like prison is a vaction. I hate to tell you, but the things you think are so nice in prison are not. Anyways, it's more expensive to put someone to death than to just have them rot in a cell. That is what they do...they rot. No one has that right to determine who is a burden and who isn't, but they can be taken out of general population, but should never be killed.

DarkMachine5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkMachine5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 5:13pm
If you really want to punish some one put him in prison. Killing him would give an easy way out. If my parents where murdered i wouldnt want the guy to die. I would want him in jail getting raped and beaten.

Clark Kent wrote:
Real men make fun of Muslims.
THE QWERTY
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 5:15pm
No matter how angry I get at someone, knowing they will never see day light is plenty punishment. Being victimized, beaten, poorly fed, overcrowded, and living in fear is all a bonus that goes with prison.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Eye for an eye just is not civillized, not in a society that preaches freedom.

Anyways, Dib, you act like prison is a vaction. I hate to tell you, but the things you think are so nice in prison are not. Anyways, it's more expensive to put someone to death than to just have them rot in a cell. That is what they do...they rot. No one has that right to determine who is a burden and who isn't, but they can be taken out of general population, but should never be killed.

It costs more to house a 23 year old for the rest of his life than to put him to death?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic