FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Things need to change around here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
SandMan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Semper Fidelis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by reifidom reifidom wrote:

I mostly agree, but I'm not ready to give up the ghost quite yet.

Yeah... That.
Real Men Love Cheeses
Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 4:12pm
Seriously. Look at all the people with strikes for flaming nowadays. The flaming on this forum is ridiculous.
VTpaintballer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VTpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 4:23pm
^ yes it is, and thats one of the main reasons why people have been leaving and not caring about rules on the forum.
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 8:41pm
Bumpy
DrunkDriver View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrunkDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 8:55pm

No one can change anyting.
Either find a way to ban people for good or make it an 18+ forum.

tgaffner View Drop Down
youm0nt Lite ... and low carbs, too!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgaffner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 9:52pm

Paintball is growing....

Therefore, spreading to more and more players each day, younger and older. Thats pretty much what has happend, younger players start playing the sport, develop an addiction, and then come here.

There is really nothing that can be done.

matt06 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 9:54pm
I havent read all 7 pages, because I dont fell like takin the time, so if i repeat anyones statements..sorry in advance...

I havent been here all that long, a little over a year I think its been, but I have noticed a huge decline in that time period. I can remember when I first got here seeing all kinds of mods and Platinum members around the forum, and for the most part, flaming was to a minimum.
I agree with whoever said it back on the first page that part if it is the sport, It got into the mainstream, and the little immature 12 year olds have gotten into it with their overinflated egos. The forum all but drove off Old Soldier, who use to be hugely respected, and other old regs never show their face, whether it be for personal reasons or not.

The forum needs to be fixed, so we can get more active mods into the system, and so we can restore the mods ability to IP ban people.
Speaking of Regs...is it just me or has Koolit and Dave all but left the forum lately?

Edit: As much as I hate to say it, we need a mod like KRL...to get people inline again..at least to a respectable standard.

Edited by matt06
Badsmitty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parental Advisory Non Conformist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2005 at 11:11pm

Seems like a lot of complaining over nothing.

Zesty View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guested - 3 Strikes and hes out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2005 at 3:13pm
^I agree...the only thing to complain about is how we have sat by and let this forum be over-run by idiots!
Kreeper-X View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The A-5 God of Thunder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kreeper-X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Nrtheastah Nrtheastah wrote:

OK, great subject!  I have a few suggestions if I may be so bold?

(takes deep breath and steps onto soapbox)

For those of you who feel that the forum has “lost its heart”, well you are right and wrong at the same time.  The forum hasn’t changed, the attitudes have. You are right in that there seems to be an excess of negative posts, trolling, etc.  You are wrong in that the heart hasn’t been lost, it has been lost track of.  Let me give you some examples:

Searching

OK, we all know that users should search before they post a question.  Keep in mind that the forum is not the same group of individuals, rather it is a dynamically changing group – meaning new members come in and drop out all the time.  Yes, there remains a core group, but the majority of the individuals here are not here for that long. 

Having said that, if someone asks a question that you may have seen before, don’t answer with “search the stickies, noob”.  It may be easy to become frustrated but remember if someone wants to ask a question about a hopper for the 98C and tries searching “hopper 98C”, watch what comes up.  They get an extreme multitude of responses, which they may have to spend hours going through before they get anything of actual use, if at all.

My suggestion?  Be nice!  Simply stated, if you want this forum to be a great place where ideas and thoughts are exchanged without bashing and flaming, then you have to take the responsibility yourselves.  If you have the answer, then provide it WITH the suggestion that they search based on parameters provided by you.  Something along the lines of ”here’s the answer, which I found in “XXX” thread by searching for X”.  This way, the user gets the information and then has a better understanding of why it may be better to search first.  I’ve seen so many postings where some of the regulars will ay something along the lines of ”I get so sick of replying to these things”.  Well, the fact is that you don’t have to reply.  If you do, take the post and help the user out.   

Trolling

You’ve all seen it and hate it.  Want to know how to stop it?  Simple, don’t take the bait.  Let the thread die on it’s own.  What is trolling you ask?  That’s when you put bait out, hoping that your target will bite at it.  If you respond, even to bash the author, then you have accomplished what the poster had in mind.  As aggravated as you might be, DON’T RESPOND.  Sometimes doing nothing is the right thing to do, it it’s the right kind of nothing.  The authors of these kinds of things hope to elicit a response, any response.  If you take that away from them, then they will have failed.

Complaining – i.e. the B@T Signal

If you truly have a complaint, then report it to the mods with a link.  What I can’t understand is that when some trolling occurs or someone replies with some sort of cretinous remark, then several people take it upon themselves to send the signal, even multiple times within the same thread.  If someone has already done it, then leave it alone.  If the thread is simple trolling- leave it alone.  If you legitimately have something to say on the subject, then by all means post the reply.  If there have been 15 replies stating that the thread is useless and pointless and you happen to agree, then don’t bother posting, it has already been said and done.  Your post will add nothing.  However, NOT posting will help this thread disappear into obscurity.

More mods?

Maybe.  But, if you want this forum to be “like it used to be”, then you have to make it so. The mods cannot do this, BUT YOU CAN!  As Enos has mentioned, there are limitations to their power, but the real power does not lie with them, it lies with everyone else here.   Answer questions, don’t respond to obvious trolling, keep the flaming to a minimum, remember that you may be more versed in searching, etc.

The bottom line is that you don’t have to “take the forum back”, it’s already yours.  You just have to make the effort to mold it into what you want it to be like.  Easier said than done I know, but if it’s what you want, you’ll find the way.

(sighs deeply, steps off of soapbox, strolls off into the crowd)

This is the heart of the forum!  Awesome post man!

Take the Power back! It's time to Take this forum Back from the 1337 flamers, immature idiots and know-it-alls.

Founding Member: A-5 Owners Group and Special Forces Unit SAW Support Gunner
VTpaintballer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VTpaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 8:08am
Originally posted by DrunkDriver DrunkDriver wrote:

IMO i don't think banning people will help.

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 8:30am
Originally posted by VTpaintballer VTpaintballer wrote:

Originally posted by DrunkDriver DrunkDriver wrote:

IMO i don't think banning people will help.

nor would making it an 18+ forum.

St. Jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St. Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2005 at 8:56am
ip banning could help but just guesting people will not. The only way to do it is to make the forumers see that it's not cool to be a flaming/inapropriate(sp?)/immature jerk.
PistolPete View Drop Down
Free Pete Now ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PistolPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2005 at 7:18pm
Well folks here is my two cents. Without an effective way to kill Trolls and troublemakers you will never solve the problem they will just keep coming back again and again.

For those people who have been here awhile they can remember that the MEMBERS handled alot of the problems before the mods even had to step in. You folks who want change can make a difference if you work on it.

I have to say that the meltdown wasn't all just noobs out of control. It went far deeper than that all the way too the mods, it was a meltdown of epic proportions that caused too many people to leave.

You want the forum back you have to rebuild.
Good luck my friends
PistolPete
OMHW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic