FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Opinion on Same Sex Marriages?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 3:01pm
I agree, well said. And it's great to see somebody standing up for equal rights even when they are opposed to what those rights allow.

And now we're all agreeing with each other which dimishes the point of this thread...

Edited by reifidom

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 3:07pm
As mentioned, even if it was a "desease", why would having it prevent you from a marriage?

In states that do have medical test requirements before marriage, if a postive test result occures, does that prevent a marriage, or is the test's purpose in place to just inform the spouse before marriage of the other's medical status?

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

^^^^^^   wow - well said.

*applauds*

Hallelujah!!!! There are still some open minds out there.

KillerCanuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerCanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by phillll227 phillll227 wrote:

Everybody remember this thread.   It is the first and probably last time that I will take a more liberal view on an issue.

Same sex mairrages should be allowed. I believe that homosexuality is a sin, but I don't think it is the government's place to base their judgement on any one religion. There is simly no legal basis for allowing straight couples to marry and not allowing homosexual couples to marry, it is simply equal rights.

That said, I am opposed to homosexual behavior, but that is not for this thread.

Dead on. Just because some people are feel that homosexuallity is morally wrong, that doesn't give them the right to take away their civil liberties. Homosexuals are still people, and should be awarded the same rights and status of any other person.

The thing that bugs me the most about the whole issue is that most of the people who oppose same sex marrages are those from a religous standpoint. Now I'm trying to say your faith is wrong, but I was under the impression that there was supposed to be a seperation between the church and the state. I personally am thrilled with Canada's approach to the issue. The charter of rights would be changed to allow for same sex marrages, but the Church would not be forced to perform the cerimony. Changing the legal definition of marrage doesn't have to change the religous meaning.

I'll go Home, I'll go Home,
Full of the devil and full of the rum.
I'll go home, oh I'll go home,
I'll go home in the morning.
GhilleMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Strike 1 - Language, 11/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GhilleMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by duckncover21 duckncover21 wrote:

All you have to say is do they have the ability to make a child. No they dont. Disregarding religion this reason alone should tell them that they shouldnt be together! If you cant reproduce together and you're not A-sexual then you arent supposed to be screwing each other! But I guess it dosent matter that if we were all **edited**s the world would end. Since†we would†have no way to continue†our family tree without artificially implanting sperm (and this is only the women what about the men? Will we be carrying babies too?) the world would die out. I think we should put all the **edited**s on an island together and see how long it takes them to die. I'd say at most 100 years. (That's if they took their adopted children with them!!)

Wait - so are you just against **edited** marriage or homosexuality alltogether?† Your post is a bit garbled...† And is the children bit in regards to sex or marriage?

Me confused...

I think he's against having an IQ higher than that of the single celled organisms you normally find in pond scum
Smart Parts, Stupid People... Go figure

Shoot To Thrill on stockclass, mcarter, and the dreadful pbn
Carter Mini Comp, Carter Tricar, PPS Blazer

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 3:48pm

What?

AdmiralSenn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdmiralSenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 4:02pm
Wow. Was this really necessary? Haven't we beaten this thing to death?

I am opposed to it, but I'm not going to bother giving reasons why - so far, almost every time I try to, either everyone minimizes what I say, ignores it, or (deliberately?) misunderstands. But this isn't a debate anyway...

As for the sanctity of marriage, there's something you guys need to realize. Couples divorcing doesn't show that marriage is no longer meant to be compared with the traditional definition, it means that there is more than one thing cheapening marriage. Just because one thing has happened against a group's wishes doesn't mean that they should stop trying to prevent the next thing from happening, simply because the first did. That would have been like us saying "Oh well, too late, Japan wins World War II because we didn't prevent them from attacking us". Bad comparison, but I think you guys get the point.

And yes, I do believe that most people could choose to become homosexual (and vice versa). They wouldn't, and it might not be the easiest thing in the world, but it's possible, definitely.

I'd also like to point out that having an open mind does not necessarily mean supporting every choice that a person can make. Conservative does not mean closed-minded.

Yes, there are many couples that cannot have children for some reason or other. However, there is no possibility of a society where everyone is homosexual to survive (before someone tries to make a smartass remark, please note that I'm not so stupid as to think America will suddenly turn into a pro-homosexuality nation if that side wins, nor do I think it ever will. Just making a point, so don't bother going 'Wow, you're dumb. Nobody said the country would do such-and-such'. I've been in too many of these debates not to know that some of you were thinking of doing that before you read this far).

Also, people show that animals in the wild have been known to demonstrate homosexual tendencies, but I'd like you all to keep in mind that humans are considered 'intelligent' as compared to the other animals, and so just because some species do something, it doesn't mean we should. I just found an interesting site that explains that apparent homosexual behavior in animals is usually totally unrelated to sex (establishment of power, mixed chemical messages, etc) and confined to isolated incidents, with very few individuals showing a continued 'preference' towards homosexual behavior. I got this from here.

Anyway, if someone wants to debate this, let's start a new thread. I'm afraid I may have just hijacked this one, so prove me wrong.
Is God real? You'll find out when you die.

Okay, I don't have a clever signature zinger. So sue me.
Dom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 4:11pm
100% for them. I feel no reason not to be either. As it is, I have a couple guy friends that are homosexual. They are still the same people, and still cool as hell, they just prefer the same sex. They also realize that I am not homosexual, and do not treat me as anything other than a friend.

EDIT: Forgot about the forum filter.

Edited by Dom
Cedric View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Unit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 4:22pm
For it. Ever heard of seperation of church and state? If everyone is equal, how come homosexual people can't get married?

newport View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested. inapproproate links take 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 4:39pm
If atheists can get married then **edited**s should be allowed too.

DarkMachine5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkMachine5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by AdmiralSenn AdmiralSenn wrote:

Wow. Was this really necessary? Haven't we beaten this thing to death?

I am opposed to it, but I'm not going to bother giving reasons why - so far, almost every time I try to, either everyone minimizes what I say, ignores it, or (deliberately?) misunderstands. But this isn't a debate anyway...

As for the sanctity of marriage, there's something you guys need to realize. Couples divorcing doesn't show that marriage is no longer meant to be compared with the traditional definition, it means that there is more than one thing cheapening marriage. Just because one thing has happened against a group's wishes doesn't mean that they should stop trying to prevent the next thing from happening, simply because the first did. That would have been like us saying "Oh well, too late, Japan wins World War II because we didn't prevent them from attacking us". Bad comparison, but I think you guys get the point.

And yes, I do believe that most people could choose to become homosexual (and vice versa). They wouldn't, and it might not be the easiest thing in the world, but it's possible, definitely.

I'd also like to point out that having an open mind does not necessarily mean supporting every choice that a person can make. Conservative does not mean closed-minded.

Yes, there are many couples that cannot have children for some reason or other. However, there is no possibility of a society where everyone is homosexual to survive (before someone tries to make a smartass remark, please note that I'm not so stupid as to think America will suddenly turn into a pro-homosexuality nation if that side wins, nor do I think it ever will. Just making a point, so don't bother going 'Wow, you're dumb. Nobody said the country would do such-and-such'. I've been in too many of these debates not to know that some of you were thinking of doing that before you read this far).

Also, people show that animals in the wild have been known to demonstrate homosexual tendencies, but I'd like you all to keep in mind that humans are considered 'intelligent' as compared to the other animals, and so just because some species do something, it doesn't mean we should. I just found an interesting site that explains that apparent homosexual behavior in animals is usually totally unrelated to sex (establishment of power, mixed chemical messages, etc) and confined to isolated incidents, with very few individuals showing a continued 'preference' towards homosexual behavior. I got this from here.

Anyway, if someone wants to debate this, let's start a new thread. I'm afraid I may have just hijacked this one, so prove me wrong.

So they might choose to be homosexual. And that should keep them from getting married why?

Clark Kent wrote:
Real men make fun of Muslims.
THE QWERTY
tippy_182 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy_182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Cedric Cedric wrote:

For it. Ever heard of seperation of church and state? If everyone is equal, how come homosexual people can't get married?

Ever heard of mis-understood?

I let Admiral tell you about seperation of chruch and state...

Edited by tippy_182

clayton1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clayton1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 5:05pm
im fine with it as long as they arent  making out in public, and thats not just because theyre **edited**, i wouldnt want to see a straight couple making out either
cocker shooter
PREDATOR PAINTBALL
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 5:07pm
So... who likes French Toast?   I do! its really good with Syrup...

mmmm... I can taste them now...

hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 5:09pm
What's the sudden big hooplah about "same sex marriages"?

It's just like it has always been .... you get married, and then you have the same sex for the rest of your life unless you get divorced or run out, only there is much, much less of it.
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 5:11pm
^

But I don't see why people have this huge fuss over it, just let people be people...  Is American Society not happy unless were pissed of at a Minority?

Edited by Panda Man
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 5:12pm
No problem with them.  Let people live how they want.  Homosexuals are the least of this countrie's problems.

Edited by Glassjaw
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Glassjaw Glassjaw wrote:

No problem with them.  Let people live how they want.  Homosexuals are the least of this countrie's problems.

I'll second that.

What ever happened to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"?

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by hwayhzrd hwayhzrd wrote:

Originally posted by Glassjaw Glassjaw wrote:

I'll second that.

What ever happened to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"?

The church wanted a piece of action too.
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2005 at 5:56pm

Originally posted by newport newport wrote:

If atheists can get married then **edited**s should be allowed too.

Interesting point...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic