FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No, this is ridiculous!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
hashi2008 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Racial Slur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hashi2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No, this is ridiculous!
    Posted: 27 January 2005 at 6:11pm

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1896& ;e=15&u=/nm/religion_evolution_dc

This is so friggin' stupid. I doubt even the most liberal person on this forum could justify this.

Founder of the "Forumers Against the Ugly Woman Sigs" also known as FAUWS.
Belt #2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Drug use thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belt #2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 6:14pm

Excuse me while I go shoot myself.

(Reguardless as to weather that is true or not) This is one screwed up world we live in.

Most importantly - People suck.
tippy_182 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy_182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 6:14pm
It happens, no need to post a thread and start a four page debate everytime, but still, I agree.

I think evolution should be taught, even though much of it has been disproven, but they should teach other theories as well as evolution.

Don't present one thing as fact when there are a bunch of theories and the one your teaching has already proven not to be fully correct.

Edited by tippy_182

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 6:35pm

Oh please.  One doesn't have to be "liberal" to see that this is the correct decision.

Do you see a sticker on your engineering textbook that says that "structural theory is just a theory and should be viewed with an open mind"?  How about a sticker on the psych book that says that "behavioral theory is just a theory..." etc.

Of course not.  In engineering class they teach engineering; in psych class they taech psychology; in biology class they teach biology.  If they want to teach evolution, they should go ahead - in comparative religion.

There are a zillion places stickers like this could have been put, but were not.  Evolution was singled out.  It is an obvious attempt by government officials to impose religious views on the public, and should be prohibited.

Legally speaking, this is a no-brainer.  They never had a chance.

BuffaloSolda1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 strike, inapropriate image 6/23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloSolda1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 6:38pm
Just kill me now.
TK by PB4MS.COM
tippy_182 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippy_182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 6:38pm
How bout a theory being printed in books as a fact?

Anyone who has researched evolution knows it has it flaws and has no place in a science book anymore than creation.

sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 6:47pm

I think people should just stop arguing about this and come to some kind of agreement...

Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 6:50pm
umm,  they shouldn't teach it at all.  And if they do, they must give equal time to all other theories, thats my opinion.
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 6:57pm
thats just stupid...but then again, its freedom of speech and the idiots that are allowed it that make this country great...
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
cdacda13 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Yes, spelled secual.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdacda13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Belt #2 Belt #2 wrote:

(Reguardless as to weather that is true or not)

its whether not weather.(the smartest thing ive ever done)

Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 7:31pm
Im with Clark. I believe the right choice was made here. In my highschool there was a comparative religions class and the standard Biology class every sophomore had to take. If you put a sticker like that one in a Bio book, you may as well put one in the books for comparitive religion that state that they are not fact either; because let's face it, they aren't. The bible is stories about religion that have been passed down for hundreds and thousands of years. Anyone who has played the game Telephone where you sit in a circle and try to get one message all the way arround the circle without it being screwed up knows that things get lost in translation.
HondaXR View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Makes Foxworthy Look Like a Yankee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HondaXR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 7:37pm
I got the same sticker in my Biology Book...
SL68II
Pro/Am
68 Carbine
TheHoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 8:17pm

Originally posted by Snipa69 Snipa69 wrote:

Im with Clark. I believe the right choice was made here. In my highschool there was a comparative religions class and the standard Biology class every sophomore had to take. If you put a sticker like that one in a Bio book, you may as well put one in the books for comparitive religion that state that they are not fact either; because let's face it, they aren't. The bible is stories about religion that have been passed down for hundreds and thousands of years. Anyone who has played the game Telephone where you sit in a circle and try to get one message all the way arround the circle without it being screwed up knows that things get lost in translation.

But what about areas that have no religion class?  My school never did and never will have anything to do with religion.  We arn't even allowed to say the pledge because of "under God".  You hear a lot about rulings in court like this but it was the first time that B.S. directly effected me.  Hundreds of thousands of years is very inaccurate Snipa since the Bible is based on the world being made less than 5 thousand years ago. 

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 8:39pm

Schools SHOULD have religion class, and they SHOULD teach creationism/intelligent design in those classes - but that is beside the point.

Science classes teach science.  Evolution is the current consensus scientific theory of the origin of species.  Therefore it is taught.  Period.

Are there potential challenges to evolution?  Sure.  But there are also potential challenges to linear algebra, harmonics theory, astronomy theory, quantum physics, and everything else in your science book.

Regardless of any particular perceived flaw in evolutionary theory, it has the backing of the scientific community, and is therefore taught in science.

In order for that sticker NOT to be illegal, the sticker would have to read "everything in this book is theory and should be judged with an open mind", and then that sticker should be on ALL science books, not just bio books.  There are plenty of other scientific theores taught in school with substantially less evidentiary backing than evolution.  None of these were stickered.

Therefore, this was an unconstitutional violation of the First Amendment.  Simple.  Regardless of your personal views on evolution, this is blatantly unconstitutional.

Now, as to the merits of evolutionary theory itself, I would be happy to discuss those also, but that is a separate discussion from this discussion of the constitution.

But before we do that, I encourage you to read the transcript from the Scopes Monkey Trial and A Brief History of Time.  Both very educational on the beginnings of stuff.

Gewwy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Strike 1 - Language 1/17

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gewwy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 8:51pm
I wonder if they know that Christianity accepts the theory of evolution..

E-Tek Ego

Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by TheHoff TheHoff wrote:

Originally posted by Snipa69 Snipa69 wrote:

But what about areas that have no religion class?  My school never did and never will have anything to do with religion.  We arn't even allowed to say the pledge because of "under God".  You hear a lot about rulings in court like this but it was the first time that B.S. directly effected me.  Hundreds of thousands of years is very inaccurate Snipa since the Bible is based on the world being made less than 5 thousand years ago. 

First, i said Hundreds AND thousands, not of. Second, stickers placed on any text book that challenge the content of said book are stupid to even a logical standard. How seriously would you take that class if for every homework assignment you could just say "I didn't do it because of my views on biology. This sticker pretty much allows me to skip out on this class.'' I know many many people that would use such a loop-hole.

hashi2008 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Racial Slur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hashi2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 9:18pm
  Clark, please show me where the constitution says anything about the separation of church and state.  There was nothing wrong with the sticker.  The ruling violates the first ammendment, not the sticker.  Einstein hemself said "evolution is just a theory and a weak one at that."
Founder of the "Forumers Against the Ugly Woman Sigs" also known as FAUWS.
Belt #2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Drug use thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belt #2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 9:19pm

Originally posted by cdacda13 cdacda13 wrote:

Originally posted by Belt #2 Belt #2 wrote:

(Reguardless as to weather that is true or not)

its whether not weather.(the smartest thing ive ever done)

It's great that you spend all of your time patrolling the forum for spelling and grammar errors, and everything...

But, quite frankly, I don't care how it's spelled.

"Weather" or "whether" It's all the same to me.

Quick, off to the nub and "idea's" forum, you have work to do!

Most importantly - People suck.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 9:22pm
Pardon me asking, but how does that sticker push creationsim?  I read it about 30 times and I dont see it.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2005 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by hashi2008 hashi2008 wrote:

Clark, please show me where the constitution says anything about the separation of church and state.  There was nothing wrong with the sticker.  The ruling violates the first ammendment, not the sticker.  Einstein hemself said "evolution is just a theory and a weak one at that."

Einstein wasn't a biologist.

I think that the sticker may have been alright had it been worded slightly differently.
There may (big MAY) have been good intent behind the sticker, but it just came across wrong (as so commonly happens).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic