Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SILENT_SC(+)PE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SILENT_SC(+)PE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope?
    Posted: 16 January 2005 at 10:32am
What do you guys think of a scope?  I only play woodsball with my Tippmann 98 custom.I have a course back in my woods that is fairly long and a creek runs through it.  The only upgrade i have on my gun is a 16" true flute barrel.

Edited by SILENT_SC(+)PE
98 Custom
16" True Flute barrel
Viewloader Quantum hopper
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 10:53am
Get a red dot scope.  It will serve much more purpose.

I could have sworn you just asked this.
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
TippmannPro13 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannPro13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 11:12am
I think that a scope is useless, and makes you look vey noobish.

SILENT_SC(+)PE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SILENT_SC(+)PE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 11:22am
What is polished internals?
98 Custom
16" True Flute barrel
Viewloader Quantum hopper
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 4:01pm

Having a scope or any aiming devices on a marker is jus fer looks.

Do not steal....the government hates competition!
Blackbetty View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Crack is teh Illegal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbetty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 4:25pm
if u cant aim a paintball marker and hit something at a marker's
maximum range,, u need to be a tard,.,, get a ruber scope just for looks
Buy a corvette and show the world that you know absolutely nothing about cars.
The new VW convertible beatle..... now you can actaully hear people call u and idiot.
capcadetspencer View Drop Down
Who cares about a title???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capcadetspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 5:12pm
Don't get a scope... Jesus loved you enough to give you eyes, use them!!!
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift -Steve Prefontaine

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 8:36pm

funny enough, I just posted on the topic over at PBreview. Here's what I posted there- note, the discussion there was more aggressive and less polite than it is here, hence the beginning of the post.

90% of the people here have either never been introduced to formal debate, or have had their sense of reason surgically extracted from their brain. I didn't know that was an available procedure, but I can't think of an easier explanation. I'm going to try to kill this debate right here and now. My apologies for resurrecting a slightly dead thread, but I hate to see a good debate go to waste.

I'll present my arguement as logically as I can.

We'll start with a simple premise. That is;
1: There are a number of different kinds of paintball.

-This is clearly true. Among such are speedball, recball/woodsball, and scenario games.

Another premise:
2: Recball/woodsball and scenario share many carachteristics, including generally slower and more tactical play than speedball.

-Speedball is a very tacical game, but the tactical situation differs from woodsball. the fields are generally quite small, and seldom exceed the maximum range of a paintball- though not necessarily with any kind of effective shooting. I beleive 100 fet in length is close to standard. Woods/recball/scenarios, conversely, can take plce over many acres, with potentially hundreds of players.

I will agree, right now, that in speedball a scope or a red dot sight is impractical to the degree taht it can be considered useless.

I will discuss woods/rec/scenario games only, having granted the speedballers their little victory.

Another premise
3: In these games, play is often slower as a whole, because of the alrge play area, the ability to camouflage oneself by moving slowly, and because natural obstacles will often get in the way of shots that could be made easily in a clear field.

-I think that this can be accepted as true by everyone. There can be pitched firefights in woodsball, but it is generally the minority, rather than the majority of the elapsed time of the game. Much time will be spent quietly moving, or in small engagements between only a few players, where either a few shots result in an elimination, or one or the other aprty withdraws.

4: In a woodsball game, because of the dimensions of the playing field, you can often see 'in game' territory that is beyond your effective range of engagement. It may be so far away as to make it difficult or impossible to spot a eprson with the naked eye if they have used any measures of camouflage, or simply are fortuitous enough to blend in with the background.

-This is clearly true, if you've ever played in a big game.

5: Because of premise #4, an optical device which assists in spotting a eprson where it would be difficult to do so with the naked eye is beneficial.

6: If you can spot an opponent without them seeing you, or before they see you, you have an advantage over them.

#5 is obviously true, and logically means #6 has to be true. If you can see your opponent from a distance without him seeing you, you may be able to discern his numbers, formation, speed and direction of movement, and other information that will allow you to confront him in a time and palce of your choosing, rather than his, or rather than blundering into each other.

7: Given that; an optical device can enhace your ability to spot the enemy, and ; spotting the enemy without his knowing provides you witha  beneficial tactical situation, it then must be true that Having a magnifying optical device in a woodsball game may help you to place yourself in a tactically superior position

- A scope is a simple magnifying optical device, that can be mounted quickly and conveniently on your marker. Thus, a scope is clearly not useless in this context, and can be beneficial to a player adept at scouting or reconaissance.

Now, for aiming.

8: There exist markers and barrels that are capable of firing paintballs in flat, or accurately predictable trajectories

- Anyone who's ever shot a grouping of paintballs where they all hit clsoe to each other knows this. Given the right barrel and paint, a marker can fire its shots in an almost identical arc every time. Also, barrels such as the flatline will fire a ball in a flat trajectory for a considerable distance.

9: Given that the trajectory of a paintball can be predicted in a sufficiently accurate marker, aiming devices such as scopes or red dots can be calibrated such that their aiming point will rest over the point of impact of a paintball at any given distance (within range), with sufficient adjustment.

- This is true. You can sight in a scope so that at 100 feet, or whatever distance, your paint will always hit what you aim at.

10: Many people have sufficenet visual-spatial skills to see when a paintball falls short or flies high, and can extrapolate the necessary aiming adjustments needed to place a shot on target with an aiming device at a greater or lesser distance

- With experience, you will know that you have to aim your scope up, say, 6 inches to get an accurate shot with another 10 feet of disance, or aim down a foot when a target is 25 feet closer.

11: Given the right equipment and experience, a player with a properly calibrated aiming device can rpedictably place a paintball at any known distance accurately and quickly, as long as good sight picture and shooting habits are maintained

- This is simple marksmanship.

12: Because of the availability of cover, concealment, and camouflage, a player may often be able to wait until they have an optimal shot, in which case the potential exists to use the skills outlined in premises 10 and 11 to eliminate an opponent with just one or two shots, thus saving paint, and reducing the noise of multiple shots, and avoiding giving away his own position

- I know this sounds dangerously close to the evil S word, but nonetheless, a properly positioned player with the right equipment can make an elimination at a significant distance, say a hundred feet, where a player without any aiming devices may have to 'walk' their shots onto target, using up paint, potentially giving away their position, and possibly with the initial shots warning the target to get cover if his reflexes and position are sufficient.

THUS: A player with a scope or red dot sight, well calibrate, who are familiar with their marker can accurately place single or limited fire where others may have to 'walk' their shots, or aim down their barrel- which is inherently less precise, due to differences in eye relief, and both vertical and lateral positioning of the eyes relative to the barrel of the marker.

THUS: Combined with the previous optical benefits of, say, a scope, a player equipped with this may be able to fire shots more accurately through small gaps, or at greater distances, whereas players without this equipment may have to 'walk' their shots, trust to blind luck, or apply other 'trial and error' methods.

Scopes and sights are not the be all and end all by any means, but they have their purpose. If you want to conserve ammunition or concealment, or spot an enemy from a greater distance, they can be a big benefit, as long as they're properly sighted in.  For the record, I am a serving member in a military unit, and my service rifle uses a 3.4x optical sight, so I am somewhat biased towards their use- However, I also recognize that in close quarters battles or urban situations, they can be a hindrance- I've had to grit my teethand put up with the scope through exercises before where I would far rather have taken them off and used iron sights, so it goes both ways. Most importantly, though, I always try to pick my shots and conserve ammunition, which heavily influence my thinking.

Also, please don't try to use 'machinegunning' as a counter arguement- having been training on light and medium machine guns, I can tell you that we fire them in short (3-5) round bursts most of the time, and pick our shots.

If anyone cares to debate me on this, please refer to specifc ppremises, and be as logical in your arguements as I have. Thanks.

"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Curlyman666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyman666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2005 at 6:13pm

like he^^^said,it can be an advantage or a disadvantage.under the right conditions and with the right skills a scope can help somewhat,but they can get in the way.i think a scope would be best used as a spotting tool,not an aiming device.

signature
A5 dude15 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested Pottymouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A5 dude15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2005 at 7:56pm
i would only use a magnification scope for looking at someone while yur far away.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2005 at 8:04pm
Brihard and Curlyman are right on target.  I'll now add my 2 cents worth:  You do not want to use an optical scope in most paintball engagements; it would take to long to sight through and give you a severe case of tunnel vision.  In other words it could get you eliminated.  A red dot or fiber optic (used with both eyes open-personal preference) would not give you tunnel vision and would allow you to know the general area your first shot was headed to.  Magnifying scopes do have their use in paintball.  My son played with an old scope of mine on his marker a few years ago.  He teamed up with 4 others and they operated as a squad all day.  One person covered his back while he checked out the terrain ahead of them.  I watched them tear up the opposition all day (fortunately he was on my team).  He and his partner would spot their opponents from out of range and identify the location to the rest of their team. Then the other guys would then cover them as they moved up and established an overwatch position.  Finally, he and his partner would pin down the opposition while the rest of their guys swept through their position and eliminated them.  It was very impressive and it would have been impossible to have done in the terrain we play in without the scope.  Yes, they can be very useful when used correctly.
Fatman Lash View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Lash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2005 at 2:21pm
I remember saying the exact same thing last time this was brought up and I got flammed................. wierd

Click banner to see my marker
jacob_100 View Drop Down
I misbehaved too many times

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacob_100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2005 at 3:22pm

man that has to be the longest post ive ever seen!!! but scopes and red dot scopes do have a very important place on the field of sceinerio and woods/rec ball.

Salute our military

Alot of people these days play speed-ball and have superspeed gun.If you are one of the few pump players left,put this as ur sig.

-Phantom
45* grip
t-stock
20 round center feed
12 gram changer
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2005 at 3:42pm

LOL, you obviously never read my woodsball tactics post.

When I write a post like taht, It ry to be utterly definitive, so that if it's possible for anyone to shoot me down, it's ebcause they're actualyl right and I'm actually wrong, and not because I left something out and worded it badly. My ego can't take that kind f abuse.

"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
PaintBsniper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaintBsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2005 at 9:46pm

borrow a scope, try it out, and if you think its useful for your style of play go out and buy one

I dont care what you say there are snipers in paintball
Psycho5785 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psycho5785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2005 at 12:22am
I use mine as a spotting scope as much as I do an aiming
device. And I do use it, and I've been playing for eight years so
don't think I'm a newbie.
War Machine Paintball

Standing up for newbies everywhere! We were all newbies once.
BushMaster69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BushMaster69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2005 at 3:50pm
I've been playing woodsball for a while and though you've had some good remarks here is my take on it. let me start by saying that if one cannot aim their marker to its maximum trajectory without assistance then they do not belong there anyway. Given, a scope is helpful in locating position and movement of an enemy squad but this is just as easily done with a cheap pair of binoculars which is what i use. I would recommend trying out this tactic, particularly helpful if you are a sniper or a cover man. On the red dot system I believe that one shouldn't need it, though I would like it if tippmann placed a practical sight or slot for practical sight on the metal shroud for the flatline barrel. Because the plastic just doesn't take a beating like it should and the practical small sight on it would be helpful on the metal shroud.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2005 at 10:50pm

I tried a scope for scouting after watching how effective my son and his friends were with it.  I didn't like it.  However, I did prefer it to carrying binoculars, which I also tried years before.  IMO the scope had three advantages over binoculars. 

1.  It was readily available, not in a pouch or dangling around my neck.

2.  I could use it while keeping my marker readily available.

3.  I preferred having the additional weight on my marker as to carrying it somewhere else.

Additionally, everyone of my markers has some type of sight mounted on it.  (Two red dots and two fiber optics.)  I can aim to maximum trajectory without using them, but I prefer to use them if the situation allows.  I have lots of fun playing, do fairly well, and so far the Paintball Police have not come and revoked my playing privileges.

(Although, as many times as I've had to go back and change spelling in my posts, the Spelling Police may be coming after me to revoke my writing privileges.)

Edited by Mack
sneakysniper7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sneakysniper7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2005 at 12:42pm

Well not to be mean but i think a scope is useless. the olny thing it would be good for is seeing long distance. most times that is not even necessary but try it and if u are comfortable then go for it.

Paintball is the best sport no matter what anyone says, and if you cheat you get beat. Snipers rule!
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2005 at 1:30pm

sneakysniper7:  You're not being mean, you're just giving your opinion (without being rude or inflammatory), which was the entire point of this thread. 

Edited by Mack
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic