Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Eyeball98c View Drop Down

Guested - Complete immaturity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eyeball98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2005 at 10:19pm
im gunna get a scope for mai gun. just for wat they said tho. to spot
Save our planet by helping conserve oxygen......go kill yourself
lester98c View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
i wish my title was "different"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lester98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2005 at 12:37pm

i have a red dot for my 98 and it does pretty well but in order to really use it u need the raised sight rail.

Edited by lester98c
Curlyman666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyman666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2005 at 3:09pm
God this topic lasted a long time..it all depends on personal preference.I dont think a scope looks noobish,it looks kool.as an aiming device a scope isnt that great.as a spotting device it is.some people would argue that it can get in the way,or that binoculars are better,or whatever.whatever reason you agree or disagree for,thats your opinion and personal preference,and i wont argue with you.but IMO, if used properly it can be a very helpful and effective tool for paintball
signature
Unicorn View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2005 at 12:29pm
One of the reasons that I like the 98C, and the A5, are the sights that are included.  The biggest negative of the HPA tank/drop forward for me is that I can't really shoulder my gun, and still use my sights easily.  Having said that, I wouldn't bother with a magnified scope unless you plan on never actually moving much.  Even a low power 3-5 power scope is kinda hard to use in closer terrain, especially when moving, or when multiple targets are engaged.  Using a scope witheh t Binford Aiming System hels to alleviate this.  Basically keep both eyes open, when you move your left (assuming you are using your right eye in the scope) eye will see what it going on, and when you stop, your brain will switch views the the one with the better picture, the scoped one.  It takes a lot of practice, and is still slower than plain iron sights.  A red dot sight makes more sense in paintball where the ranges are short, and you might be firing on lots of people.
paintballkid98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballkid98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2005 at 1:00pm

i was thinking about buying a scope but what kind r u sapost to get?

peace out **edited**es
           Adam Savage
halokid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 4:06pm
scope= noobcake item
DrexelSkaPB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrexelSkaPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 6:28pm
Thanks for bringing up a 3 week-dormant thread! The only cost-effective scopes are red dots, but they aren't even that good past 75 feet or so, the force of gravity alone acting upon the ball at such a range causes the ball's trajectory to fall 12 inches.

Edited by DrexelSkaPB
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2005 at 9:05pm

That notwithstanding, drexel, if you know that it will drop twelve inches, the red dot still gives you a reference point. Simply aim up twelve inches. 'Aiming off' is a very common sighting technique when it comes to firing weapons at moving targets, or with wind conditions, or alternatively when using a weapon where it isn't expedient to adjust the sights in action. A red dot is still a good investment if you're willing to put a few shots through it to get it sighted in.

Keep in mind that a sight generally gives youa ccuracy to within several inches. If you're firing at a person's torso, you've already got a lot of built in allowance for distance or inherent inaccuracy, as the target itself is a lot larger than that which a sight is capable of being accurate to within. Particularly since a person is a tall target, even at 75 feet where the ball will drop several feet over what you might be sighted in at, if you aim at head or shoulder height you'll still hit them somewhere in the torso or gut.

Alternatively, if you use a barrel such as the flatline, a sight suddenly becomes far more effective- since the trajectory will not change significantly within the range you can reasonably expect the paintball to break at, the sight can be set at a single setting, and be pretty accurate anywhere from zero to a hundred and fifty feet...

"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
matty51189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty51189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2005 at 10:16pm

TEAM  Diablo    name:sry team policy...cant say

I have a bsa optic hunting scope when i play woodsball with my crew.  It is very accurate and i never miss a shot.  So all u haters go get a life.  Scopes are like a cheat....use thme to ur advantage..

Sincerly,

TEAM Diablo

DrexelSkaPB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrexelSkaPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2005 at 10:36pm
True, brihard. I bought a hunting scope (not one of those crappy scopes made for bb guns or paintball), and aiming off is a very effective technique that I have used pretty effectively during the time of using the scope. I don't use it anymore though, discovering that in the amount of time it takes, although mere seconds, to line up a shot, rough estimate the range, and shoot, I could have made a more decisive move and get a closer, better angle on the target. Of course, this is just me with a Flatline, and when you consider that the target is over 150 feet away, although through the scope the shot looks like it could hit, in the real world with spontaneous variables such as wind or a chopped ball, I find it more effective to keep moving, don't stop for long-balls. This all revolves around the playing fields that I play at, where although it is woodsball, it adds a lot of speedball tactics/mentality to it, I guess the more proper term would be, dare I say, "Blitzkrieg?". We usually play timed (15 minutes) games on a field about half the size of a football field, where movement and angles are key. But if you play, for instance, backwoods paintball, where you have nearly unlimited time and land at your expense, yes a scope will be effective for many applications. For big games/scenarios, I use it simply as if it were binoculars, very effective.

Edited by DrexelSkaPB
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2005 at 1:38am

I prefer red-dot sights myself, though a scope can definitely be useful. Eventually I'd like to get a better red-dot. Maybe one with a dot in the center, and a ring around, to assist with aiming off estimation.

I've noticed that a lot of people go about shooting a moving target the wrong way. They'll fire right at it or right before it, constantly adjusting after each and every shot. Better way that I find is to start jsut behind the target, and swing across them faster than they're moving. Open fire as soon as your sight is over the target, adn keep shooting as it gets farther and farther ahead of them. Any misses will be behind them, and they won't see, but because they're getting closer and closer behind, one will eventually hit. Assume that a shot is going to miss, and keep correcting a bit farther ahead on each shot, shooting rapidly, until one hits. Having a good visual aiming point is nice for this; the red dots are easily acquired.

There's definitely a knack to using sights in woodsball. I'll admit they're pretty much useless in speedball though- if you've got time to use them, you probably arne't playing aggressively enough...

"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2005 at 12:54pm
A scope will serve no purpose. If you are playing the way you should be. You wont be looking through it at all. If you are using it to magnify the image. Chances are you are too far away for a paintball to break. If you feel you really really really need one. Get a red dot scope. Besides, a scope is really pointless. Paintballs are not acurate. They veer off and are not areodynamicly sound. Its just silly to do get a scope...
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2005 at 9:47pm

Actually, bibeau, with a good barrel, you can get pretty good groupings. they should only veer off if your barrel is dirty or there's a problemw ith your marker.

Scopes are also useful because you can sue them as a monocular, aprticularly in the woods. That suspicious shadow? Take a closer look to see if it might be an enemy. I've talked to enough hardcore woodsballers to believe that scopes are useful. Hop over to the Ariakon forums and check out some of their discussions on scopes and sights... There are some players there with icnredible marker setups incorporating both.

TippmannA5Mastr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannA5Mastr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2005 at 2:15pm
I have a SCOPE on my A5 (with an offset rail made by LAPCO). I LOVE IT! You prolly don't need a offset rail for a 98c tho! GET ONE... LOOK AT MY GUN AND YOU'LL SEE!

R/T, Scope, Stock, Double Finger, Remote, Timer, Flatline
freak55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freak55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 5:29pm
i think a scope is a waste of your time and money. the game is too short to be wasting time trying to sight someone in w/ a scope. 
paintballer for life
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2005 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by freak55 freak55 wrote:

i think a scope is a waste of your time and money. the game is too short to be wasting time trying to sight someone in w/ a scope. 

Ladies and gentlemen, here is a perfect example of why you READ the thread before responding to it.

The majority of scope reccommendations have been for spotting purposes in woodsball. Woodsball games can last for a long time, for that matter. Obviously you won't mount a scope in speedball, but woods scenario games can go on for days. A scope is excellent for taking a closer look at something suspicious you see lurking in a bush. For that matter, 'sightiing someone in w/ a scope', by which I assume you mean targeting and shooting them, really takes little time at all- no more than any iron sights once you become proficient at it. If you DO choose to actually target with your scope, it's a simple matter of lining up the reticle and squeezing the trigger.

But then again, I suppose it's entirely possible that all the scope users I've ever talked to have been compeltely and utterly wrong about how useful they find them...

whoknowswho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whoknowswho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2005 at 1:49pm

If you play on large fields, they would be good for spotting. I personally don't like them and feel they are too slow. I can get close enough sighting down the barrel or with snapshots to quickly walk onto what I am aiming at with usually 3-4 balls in a woodsball game. In speedball, as previously mentioned, they are useless. I do not play in scenarios or big games, where they would be most usefull, so I see no point in owning one for paintball.

i was thinking about buying a scope but what kind r u sapost to get?

I think Wal-Mart carries a ~ $20 BSA that should be good for what you need.

JunoTrevan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JunoTrevan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2005 at 10:22pm

Originally posted by DBibeau855 DBibeau855 wrote:

A scope will serve no purpose. If you are playing the way you should be. You wont be looking through it at all. If you are using it to magnify the image. Chances are you are too far away for a paintball to break. If you feel you really really really need one. Get a red dot scope. Besides, a scope is really pointless. Paintballs are not acurate. They veer off and are not areodynamicly sound. Its just silly to do get a scope...

It's called the comma man. Would really help make that sentence read better. So who are you to tell me that I am playing the wrong way if I am playing a different way than you? I apologize for my views not corresponding to your close minded ideas.

I use a scope on my 98, but then again I use my 98 almost exclusively in scenario games. If your paint is not nearly acurate enoguh to get a close grouping at a reasonable range, then I believe the problem is not with me and my scope, but with either your aim or that 25 dollar case of BE seconds/rejects paintballs you bought. Look at this logically. Can you consistantly hit a point aiming down the barrel? If yes, then can you put a crosshair on that spot? If yes, can you put a crosshair in the same place every time? If yes, then you can shoot with a scope just fine. If no, then you can't shoot well without one either. See what logic can solve?

On the topic of moving targets: I've found that if you know what bunker they are running to, then start off shooting at that bunker then sweep backwards towards the player. That way he runs through your line of fire and doesn't have the possibility of outrunning it. This works well if your rate of fire is high. If it isn't, just practice leading moving targets more I guess :/.

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2005 at 12:42pm
Rather than sweping back- as he may end up running between your shots, just pick a spot a bit ahead of the hunker (before he'd start sliding), and just shoot at the spot as fast as you can until he runs into it. We call it the 'ambush' technique for a moving target- let them run themselves into your shots. Plus, any effor to change direction would have him slowing down or still briefly, which gives you or your buddy a better chance to get him.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic