30 [30.00%]
70 [70.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is paintball beginning to die?
    Posted: 21 December 2004 at 9:53pm

I can't help but remember what O.S. told me a few years ago at the Tippmann World Challenge players party, that he foresaw that the sport was going to burn itself out in a relatively short period of time.

Now the sport has fallen into the morass of corporate games and dirty tricks, the players spend their time tearing each other down because they don't agree with each others' style of play, and the "founding fathers" are walking away.

Tippmann has been sold, Bud Orr sold out, Tom Kaye recently got out, Glenn Palmer is at least in the process of getting out.

Is it over?

Has paintball "jumped the shark"?

It's all just so depressing.

Has me thinking about going back to golf as my regular pastime ...

hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 9:58pm

Here is a quote from Tom Kaye posted on www.automags.org regarding his feeling on the current state of the sport:

You continue to expect that things will be the same but in reality the old days of paintball are gone forever. The general paintball public hasn't put it all together yet. They dont understand that AKA is done making guns forever. That Odessey who brought you the best loader ever is now hovering at bankruptcy. WGP just gave up the whole upper end marrket in favor of a spider clone. Glen Palmer is going to retire to another country. Tippmann is now controlled by the functional equivalent of a superpower and the best Bob Long can do is come out with a new look every month.
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 9:58pm
wow...people say they don't  like you...i think I know why now...
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
Ariakon_Eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ariakon_Eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 9:58pm
No, its a time for the new. As the "founders" leave, new leaders will rise. Its just a depressing time because we just got out of what I see as the "Golden Age" of paintball. And even if the sport goes back to its "Caveman Age" we will still play. We will still enjoy the sport. Paintball has risin above the thought of being "violent" or "dangerous" and we can rise above this depressing time. All sports have their depression. We will come back. We will rise again.
You call the Eagle, Eagle does the rest.
DBibeau855 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
IIIIIMMMMM BAAACCCKKK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBibeau855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 9:58pm
its a lot like the movie basketBALL. a sport was invented that a lot of people liked, it was exempt from the cooprate hooplah of the NFL and NBA. but now, its not the same, its all super flashy and if its shiney it must be expensive. makes my head hurt
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:01pm

Well, ten years ago there were two fields where I live.  Now there are about a dozen fields, indoor and outdoor, within easy range.

Ten years ago, you had to go to proshops to buy paintball stuff.  Now you can get A-5s at K-Mart.

Ten years ago, people were embarassed to admit they played paintball.  Now it is a popular corporate event.

Seems like it's doing all right to me.

hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:01pm

Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

wow...people say they don't  like you...i think I know why now...

Let's pretend to just a second that your opinion about me matters ...

<whew> ... Thank God THAT's over ...

bonney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:01pm
heck no paintballing is dying it is just being noticed by alot of people who are now starting to play I played like 4 times a week last summer and i will never get tired of it. paintballing is just getting started
paintballfighter
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:02pm
it might be burning out somewhat, but i dont think it will buren out comletely. Tom Kay did get out, but that dosent mean that the whole sport is going down the drain.
the paintball game that caame out for XBOX ( good or bad its your opinion) will most likely bring new players to the sport, some will like it, some would rater sit at home on the couch and play the game. but the hardcore, experienced players that dont give a crap about hype or all the legal mumbo jumbo will still be willing to lay down the cash to play.
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:02pm

Originally posted by Ariakon_Eagle Ariakon_Eagle wrote:

No, its a time for the new. As the "founders" leave, new leaders will rise. Its just a depressing time because we just got out of what I see as the "Golden Age" of paintball. And even if the sport goes back to its "Caveman Age" we will still play. We will still enjoy the sport. Paintball has risin above the thought of being "violent" or "dangerous" and we can rise above this depressing time. All sports have their depression. We will come back. We will rise again.

Thank you.

It's nice to see an intelligent response that some real thought went into.

sig2206.A-5 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
I am a dumb signiuture picture thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sig2206.A-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:04pm
If paintball were to die out, I would remain loyal. It will never die down completely, but will dwindle down in numbers to where only about 5,000 people play the sport.....
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:07pm

No hway I think you are dying. Not the sport.

I wont be at your funeral.

.Ryan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Neither cool nor annoying

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:07pm
Maybe paintball as old timers like us knew it but I don't really think it's dying...I mean, it's more popular than ever and still growing, it's becoming more and more mainstream, it's losing it's stigma....I mean it may not be the old crawlin around in the bush with your buds and your trusty splatmaster and the old names may be disappearing but I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.  Change doesn't mean death...it just means change. The WGP spyder clones and the AKA deal sucks too but that just clears the way for the next generation of WGPs and AKAs. The time we can say it's dying is when we see all this change stop. Then we worry.

Ariakon_Eagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ariakon_Eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by hwayhzrd hwayhzrd wrote:

Originally posted by Ariakon_Eagle Ariakon_Eagle wrote:

Thank you.

It's nice to see an intelligent response that some real thought went into.

Someone has to be intelligent here some where. This forum has like 15,000 people. Someone is bound to have an IQ over 50....But I expect one of the older members to make an excellent responce as well.

You call the Eagle, Eagle does the rest.
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

No hway I think you are dying. Not the sport.

I wont be at your funeral.

Nope, I am in perfect health, sorry to disappoint you.

Then again we are ALL dying from the moment we are born.

Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:10pm
Paintball isn't dying, as in dwindling in size. In fact, it's just the opposite. The downside to that is that greedy corporations are manhandling it now.
evil-NYX View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Motherlessly HUGE SIG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil-NYX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:12pm

This is a very depressing thread. I think im going to cry.

sig2206.A-5 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
I am a dumb signiuture picture thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sig2206.A-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Homer J Homer J wrote:

Paintball isn't dying, as in dwindling in size. In fact, it's just the opposite. The downside to that is that greedy corporations are manhandling it now.
...***cough,smartparts****...excuse me...
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:15pm

Originally posted by Homer J Homer J wrote:

That's kinda what I was getting at ... it's now just another "product".

Sure, statistically, it's huge, but now the scramble is on to grab up as many properties as companies can get their hands onto, and now the sport is becoming sanitary, homogenized and "all marketing, no real teeth."

The innovators are heading the opposite direction in a hurry.

In far too many ways, it's not "our" sport anymore ... we are simply wallets with legs, just like we are in the eyes of any other industry.

Edited by hwayhzrd
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:21pm

Also, I find it interesting that instead of getting a dialogue going, people want to attack me for making this thread.

Didn't this be a place where we could have real discussions about ANY topic?

Maybe I should have made a "this or that" thread, or a "who would win this fight" thread, so I didn't rock the boat and make anyone uncomfortable ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic