30 [30.00%]
70 [70.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
For Honor View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 strike, stupid sexual slur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Honor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2004 at 9:54am
not really
slasherdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slasherdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 10:59am

Originally posted by SebastianBlack SebastianBlack wrote:

Ok, time for me to pipe up.
That is complete and utter B.S.
Paintball is still a very strong and growing sport. The difference is, it is growing in areas we just didnt see 12 to 14 years ago. Who the hell thought a marker would burp out 30 rounds a second. Noone, we joked about that stuff.

The same with loaders. Brass eagle was defending their intellectual property with Oddessy/Empire lawsuits. I dont agree with it, but thats how buisness is. The stuff with Oddessy happened a bit ago and why that got drug up now I'm not overly sure

Tom was being a bit too dramatic. But in all honesty, the industry hasnt changed all too much. There have always been cheaters. Noone can tell me otherwise. There have always been people that wanted to shoot a little faster then the next guy, thats still the same.

But Comraderie, skill, tactics. That is very much present still. I belong to a very good group of dedicated woodsball/scenario players. They play fair, their numbers have grown alot since the group started 3 years ago.The last time I played with them there were 2 13 year old girls out, it was their second time and they loved it.

I see alot of old people leaving, but only for one reason. Its their time. As was said before when someone leaves, someone else takes their place. Yeah, so big companies are getting involved. Big freakin deal, paintballs will get cheaper and markers will be more readily available. I could care less if WGP is making a spyderclone, thats just a rip on WGP. Most of that paragraph he wrote, he bashed others. That in my opinion was words coming from someone who gave up.
Tom Kaye was an innovator, but that spiel he rambled off really lowered the man in my eyes. How friggen old is Glenn Palmer no, No fooling he's going to retire. If he kept up he would have been out there with an iron lung playing and I would have felt almost guilty lighting him up. Budd Orr wasnt a spring chicken either. Give me a break, Tom is supposed to be someone to respect yet he just doesnt see everyone has a time. He bellied up because he didnt want to fight any longer, or he couldnt come up with a new innovation that gets his marker awake from anything smartparts can infringe on.
Look at enos and admiral senn. Two kids came out with an innovation that makes a carbine viable for speedball. Yet Tom couldnt do the same. Seeing that tells me one thing. Paintball will be fine and its about damn time Tom retired if the new innovators in paintball are already popping up. Yes, sad to see him go, yes, sad to see changes on the field, but no, I know for a damned fact, paintball is not dying. Its just moving how it is supposed to as it grows from its infancy to its teen years.
The King is dead, Long live the King.

I think you might have missed the message that Tom was trying to convey.  Not a big deal because Tom is not the most skilled at convery's his points right some times.

When I've talked to Tom at event's, his major concerns were always how the little man was being shut down by the big guy.  The big guy will always win because they can afford the legal bills, the little guy even when in the right will go bankrupt and have to close shop either way.

My friends and I are in the process of getting a marker out on the market for scenario players.  We would have had this marker out last year in time for Oklahoma D-Day .....  But the legal work that we have had to deal with and getting cleared up has delayed it to the present time.  And we still haven't gotten it all cleared up.

The point being, all the companies that didn't sell their buisness to the larger corporations are now looking at closing theirs doors because of the new Corporate mentality that is sweeping the paintball industry like a hurricane.

Did Tom give up???  Some will say he did and others will say he didn't.  Honestly he made a choice based on what was best for him, his family, and his other companies.

Yes, AGD is not the other company that he owns.  He just decided that it was in his best interests to leave while the going was still "good".

Hauptmann Kurt "SlasherDan" Benson
6th Fallschirmjager-Regiment, Pionere.Kompanie.1
slasherdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slasherdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 11:10am

Before I forget...

Tom brought up the point that Airsoft is going to be a serious thorn in the paintball industries side pretty soon.

I disagreed with him on the point that the game would be totally honor driven and it would be to easy for someone to cheat.

His point was you can get the same performance out of an $500 airsoft gun as you would out of a $500 paintball gun.  And it's the $6 to $12 you spend for 3000 airsoft rounds that's going to start the move.

I conceeded on the rounds issue.  Then this x-mas I got my Nephew a C98 and all the basics to go with it......  He was more excited over the airsoft pistol he got as well.....

Does this mean paintball is dead .... I don't really think so, it's just going to be harder to get new players due to paintball and the cruel mentality I've been seeing lately but paintball players taking great delight in peppering new players and laughing at them for it.

Hauptmann Kurt "SlasherDan" Benson
6th Fallschirmjager-Regiment, Pionere.Kompanie.1
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 7:29pm

I agree with SebastionBlack, and Enos both .

One more thought to add tho, The numbers of players involved in the sport , and their willingness to buy Hype has degraded the Game somewhat, but to our credit, the number of individuals , like Enos (and Many others), who can and have made improvements ,privately, and in a small way , will keep the sport alive , there are many out there,like Enos, (just used him as an example) , I dont always (rarely) agree with him, but I respect his skill , experience , and Dedication .

Same with each and every tinkerer out there (not to mention every honorable player that has , and continues to Help others ), WAY too many to name , we take the time to help new players , develop the equipment , skills and quality of players hitting the field .

Yes its growing Very fast , too fast, and thats what has brought the vultures in , now it is up to us,, the old timers (if you will) to police, and influence the sport as much as we can , to mold it into a Honorable , and Clean sport that it was intended to be , I would call on all of those people , almost a Call to arms , to be there , and do what they can to see this sport evolves into what our ideal is,,, I think our "Ideal" is closer , than that of what the corporations may be, to what we would like to see , and while they control the Market , we control the Field .

Lets make the changes in attitudes there happen , and the Domino effect will make the corporations notice , call it grass Roots , call it what you will . the game is definitly changing , but as always , Buy the product, not the Hype , lets make our "Product" better than what the Mass marketers can offer . Ya thats a tall order, but hey , guess what , we was playing when PB wasnt cool , now it is...... lets put our experience and Know-how to good use . Show the Noobs, and others how the game should be played ,,,,, Respect , Honor , Skill , and Heart !!

I have neglected to mention Many Respected players , and forumers , my apologies for that (you know who you are !) but we CAN shape the game , it just takes involvement .

Edit: I am teaching players, one by one , that RoF isnt the answer , Splat , Splat ! and for those that remain unconvinced , well , look upon the Widowmaker . mechanical , and not afraid of facing off against any $2000.00 marker .

Edited by Shadowminion
SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
matt06 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 8:32pm
i basicly skipped over most peoples posts except for the select few that i thought would have provided well thought out input.

but my opinion is...paint ball isnt really dying out. I think its gonna keep growing no matter how much anyone wants it to go back to how it was. Paintball as everyone else knew it is whats dying. Paintball as 12 year olds with mommys that spoil them think its wonderful that such and such a company produces a new gun every six months. Even if the only difference is milling, or changing the stock drop forward or something.
Paintball, unfortunatly, is appearing to be heading for the same position any other once 'contoversial' sport ever has. If it hasnt already, paintball will more than likely turn into a fashion/popularity trend. You will see more and more little 13 year old cutters going around wearing paintball clothes, when in reality theyve never played a game of paintball in their lives. (sounds alot like the skateboard fad that is going on right now doesnt it?)

so..in one sense, i think paintball is doing fine, if you love tourneys and speedball. But if your 'oldschool', most likely your embarrased to be involved in the sport.
Myself, im on the fence. While it is nice to see the sport get recognition. Before we know it no one is going to know what woodsball is, and in my opinion, woodsball is how paintball should be played.

A-5 08 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

The mob rules!!! Get the pitchforks!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 9:38pm
Paitnball is growing in size and interest. It is decreasing in the standards and basises it was started on. As the sport grows the number of people who remember when paintball started decreases. I wasn't alive when it started, in retrospect I am contributing to the coorperate take over versus the smaller quality places. I assume when paintball fields started there were not big chains of paintball fields. I think that is a contributing factor but as equal as founders loosing their direction. With tippmann soldand people like Tom Kaye leaving I think that is an encouragment of paitnball moving down an unwanted path. In the greater scheme of things it was bound to happen but no one wanted to admit it. I wish it was different but hell if things always went my way things would be boring.
XXxXX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XXxXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 9:42pm
i dont think so at all, i was just thinking about how the sport was growing
the_blade View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<esser is more

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 10:01pm

I cant see how it would die off I mean who could pass up the chance to shoot a person

But on a sad note one of the only shops up here that fill nitro are gonna be kicking the bucket if there sales dont pick up.

95 base neon 3.0 cai, knifedged crankshaft 60 mill throttle body,14 crane cam crane springs/retainers eagle rods port matched/ polished intake p&p head shaved .015 phantom grip diff dohc exuast
tipp98cfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tipp98cfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 10:03pm
BadSmitty has a point i think it hasn't exactly died it just isn't as great.
johnhoham is the winner, no sig requested.
Runner up is DBibeau855:
"Coolest New Forumer"
Kelsey Carter Rocks
paintballdude23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballdude23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2004 at 12:04am
Well, when my bro was 14 (my age) he said there were no paintball fields at all around us. Now theres 15-20. You also had to go to special pro-shops that were located at 1 place per state. Now you can buy a gun anywhere pretty much. When my bro was in Middle/High School he said he knew not 1 person, that plaed paintball. I know ALOT of people that play. Easily over 20 in my Freshmen class of 2004. (out of the ppl I know)
dj89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2004 at 2:11am
Yes it is Dieing out There are no members of the frst 3 left they all have givin' up. Smart Parts made sure of that
mobius_1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobius_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2004 at 12:42pm
Glenn is still here and his son Craig is on his heals. The Palmers will be here for some time.
"Here are beauties which pierce like swords or burn like cold iron."

-C.S. Lewis
WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2004 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

I think they should take away the high end markers, give everyone a stock tippmann and let everyone play. Make the game the way it was started. A marker that does not shoot very fast, with a low feed rate. Make it just plain skill. No expensive barrels or anything. There we will have the kind of game that started it all. People won't lose their interest in paintball just because a low end marker beat a high end marker, because everyone has the same marker. This is just a thought, but wouldn't it be fun to play it the way the real fathers made the game.

I read an article once saying that two guys were mad at each other so they found a way to shoot paint at each other. They weren't mad after that. That is how paintball started. It was just a game, maybe to get even with someone or maybe just to have some fun.

yea, that sounds like lots of fun
dj89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2004 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by AGD AGD wrote:

You continue to expect that things will be the same but in reality the old days of paintball are gone forever. The general paintball public hasn't put it all together yet. They dont understand that AKA is done making guns forever. That Odessey who brought you the best loader ever is now hovering at bankruptcy. WGP just gave up the whole upper end marrket in favor of a spider clone. Glen Palmer is going to retire to another country. Tippmann is now controlled by the functional equivalent of a superpower and the best Bob Long can do is come out with a new look every month.

Edited by dj89
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Iíll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2004 at 2:21pm
This thread needs to die.
Gotpaint92 View Drop Down
strike 1, F-bomb in sig.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gotpaint92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2004 at 3:35pm

I don't think the sport is dying but the basic skill of paintball is quickly dissapearing.  now any 8 year old kid with rich parents can buy this $2000 gun that shoots 30 some balls a second and walk on to a field and start shooting.  it's the people who stay in paintball with a basic 98 or a old pump that are keeping it alive.  its the people who aren't there to win or to light up newbies, the people who are there for the fun of playing the comrodarie.  I think the "founding fathers" are leaving because less and less of these people are in paintball.  There places are taken by people who cheat, cuss, and cause trouble.  the marker doesn't make the player, why do we keep forgetting that?  Most of us are caught up in getting the most accurate barrel, the fastest gun, the most sensitive trigger,  We all need to really get back into paintball the way it started.

Edited by Gotpaint92
Be care full! Sigs earn strikes
Paintball101 View Drop Down
Uber-Cool Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paintball101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2004 at 9:40am
When I first started playing at teh local fields it was all about fun and having a good time. Now it seems all anyone cares about is winning at all costs, cheating if they have to. More fields and proshops have opened but how many of the owners are in it for the love of paintball and not just to make some money off of the new fad?
paintballdude23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballdude23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2004 at 11:02am
/\ I have never once played and (found) someone cheating, or doing it only for winning. Of course you want to win, but not only playing to win.

Thats why every time I go I go with 10-14 friends. My local field is in an Army Post (Ft. Lewis) and often times some of the Army personell come and play. It was fun as hell when we played eachother. I hate going on my own playing with random players. Its WAY less fun that way.
My Setup:
-Black 98 Custom
-16oz CO2 Tank
-32 Degrees Remote Line
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic