Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Is paintball dying?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [30.00%]
70 [70.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
mobius_1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobius_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 1:16pm
Let's see Glenn Palmer just turned 54 the other day so I don't blame him for wanting to retire. And lets not forget he is leaving his company in very good hands, his son Craig Palmer. If you talk to Craig over on the POG forums you will find him to be extremely knoweldgeable and innovative just like Glenn is. As for the others Budd, Tom and Bob, they did what they set out to do, get paintball out to the people so that it could be enjoyed by anyone who wanted to play. It isn't dying it is just growing up in a sense and it is time for new poeple who have minds for innvention and innovation to step up to the plate and continue making the sport better.
"Here are beauties which pierce like swords or burn like cold iron."

-C.S. Lewis
Dazed View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Romped around naked in thorn bushes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 1:29pm
I'll play at my local fields until I feel that there is no friendship, honor, or "for fun" play. After that, I'll start playing outlaw in earnest again.

That's the key to these things hway. You can make them what you want. Just as the corporate whores have.
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by hwayhzrd hwayhzrd wrote:

Also, I find it interesting that instead of getting a dialogue going, people want to attack me for making this thread.

Didn't this be a place where we could have real discussions about ANY topic?

Maybe I should have made a "this or that" thread, or a "who would win this fight" thread, so I didn't rock the boat and make anyone uncomfortable ...

Its made it to 4 pages. If I posted this on IOG or pbvids or somewhere else, I would get 16 year olds giving me cliched reasons as to why it isnt, and then get flamed.

Thats why I like this forum more than any other.

Bonestock98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonestock98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 2:08pm

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

No hway I think you are dying. Not the sport.

I wont be at your funeral.

Nope, I am in perfect health, sorry to disappoint you.

Then again we are ALL dying from the moment we are born.

Does this guy sound goth/depressed/suicidal to anybody else?

F.A.T.T.S.W.F.A.-Forumers Against Things That Start With "Forumers Against"
trash-p.wiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trash-p.wiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 2:09pm
Are you **edited**ing inscane
trash
Dazed View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Romped around naked in thorn bushes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Bonestock98 Bonestock98 wrote:

Nope, I am in perfect health, sorry to disappoint you.

Then again we are ALL dying from the moment we are born.

Does this guy sound goth/depressed/suicidal to anybody else?

Nope, just a finer sense of reality and of irony than you could know how to take.
Liquid3 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Bigots & Bibles ROCK MY WORLD!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 2:55pm
Such a slender fine knife.  they didn't even feel it as it was thrust in to the hilt. ooooohhh aaaahhhhh lol
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 3:14pm

Originally posted by †Sniper† †Sniper† wrote:

Playing with good friends in the woods behind our houses, with a post-game BBQ to share stories over, that's what paintball is all about.

That has not been touched.

Sniper is still true here. playing in the backyards will stay true it just that huge companies are now taking over where i believe hway is getting at. The true founders of this sport are leaving. which is what hway is talking about not that the sport is dying but the origanals are dying. the people who have been in it since the beggining are leaving.

paintballer2584 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
-me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballer2584 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 3:31pm
this sport started out as 12 people and now its 9.5 million people its not going to die
Bdc2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bdc2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 4:35pm
i think paintball will go through the stages the renaissance went through, a period of when it dies down, and then flares up with new ideas and creations

BUT

I could be wrong
SebastianBlack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master & Commander of the T*W*A*T

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebastianBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 5:21pm
Ok simply put.
Have there ever been as more people that are dedicated to the sport as there are now?
Absolutely not.
The numbers, as pointed out above, have increased at incredible amounts in the last twenty years. Paintball is thriving.
FFKFASOFAA
Erst wenn die Wolken schlafengehn
kann man uns am Himmel sehn
wir haben Angst und sind allein

Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein
MROD View Drop Down
Strike 2 vulgar material 2/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 9:49pm
 I don't think it's dying. All of my friends play and alot of other kids do too at my school.
The only thing that could really kill it would be a better and newer thing that involved shooting each other. That's every little 6 year olds dream. To run around and shoot at people witrh projectiles.
I need to find smaller pictures for my profile.
Pyro-TFA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pyro-TFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 10:21pm

I dont know about everyone else that plays, but where I live its cold from December-Mid March.  Paintball tends to slow down around here in the winter. It may seem like its dwindling to nothingness but come spring your ears will be filled with the sound of compressed air being discharged in a rapid burst of fire.

98c - baller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98c - baller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 10:30pm

i agree with Sniper, I never go play with out calling up one of my friends first, the other day me and my firend went to the field, there was this guy who was having problems with his BKO, so i helped him and played alot of the games that day with him or aginst him
and i dident even know his name for that matter

paintball wont die, u have some of the older people in the sport retiring, which is fine, think about it they lived out a dream, turned a sport that at one time was almost non-existant to the whole world playing, so they lived out their dream, most of them have family to go to also

and who says that these new guys that are taking over, wont do just as good a job as their for fathers, hey, they may even do better

so cheer up

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Civilian Of Civilian Of wrote:

Its not really bad persay that the sport has moved this way. It may be more corporate ran, but the players like it, and they like it A LOT.

Im a player, and i hate it. I think its crap.

Cant really blame the Companys for changing it.. I mean most companys are ran by former players or current players. They know what we want, they know whats fun, they know how to make it better. Thats what they gave us.

I cant blame the companies at all, theyre in it for the money, and if some 12 year old will get mommy to pay $2000 for an angel 9, well, thats capitalism.

As for the rest, i disagree very strongly. Better? Dont make me laugh.  Whats better about the 2005 gear? Nothing. Catering to hype, and misinformation. Tourney trends are catching up to common sense that the rest of us knew 4 years ago. Low rise anyone? High pressure anyone?

They dont care whats fun, they care about what they can tell YOU is fun and get you to pay more money for it.

PLUS Everyone wanted Paintball to go mainstream, and now it has, and this is how its ran

Unfortunately true. Ive been railing against paintball "popularity" for years because i knew it would turn into yet another corporate whorefest, that stifles any real advances.

The only reason the halo was "revolutionary" is because they took existing loader technology, and collaborated with AGD using the basic concept of the warp feed. Pull up the patent for the warp feed sometime and it will look VERY famalier to anyone that knows how a halo works.

I only ever got into paintball to tinker with stuff, and make cool parts, and have a good time. I despise the mentality of every single "pro" player that i have ever personally met. Each and every one has been nothing more than arrogant scum.

I fail to see how anyone can justify this as "making room for a new age", what new age? The new crop of players doesnt know anything about how a gun works, or how to make it better, nor do they desire to. I could count the number of guns that i consider revolutionary on one hand, and most of them are older than 5 years. All this patent nonsense and corporate fighting destroys progress, and all you electro gun lovers are going to be the ones to suffer from the lack of advances. Whats funny is none of you even have a clue whats coming, and i doubt if anyone will miss anything new. Hell, people already eat up the same rehashed crap like candy.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I don’t have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

wow...people say they don't like you...i think I know why now...

Here is your proof of the trouble the sport is in, Hway.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I don’t have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2004 at 11:17pm
In all seriousness, I don't the sport is in trouble. But there will be changes. But who hasn't seen these changes coming? Technology has been a driving factor of this sport. Technology has changed the game, but not just in a bad way. Paintball guns are built better and more reliably, the safety equipment is MUCH better than it was back in the mid 80s.

The companies that build this game are changing. I think it's probably better for their sake. This definatley isn't the game that Kaye and Orr and Palmer and the like played. I think the current trend of corporate greed is a growing pain that paintball will have to deal with. Maybe I'm just a hopeless optimistic Anywhoo, glad to see ya, Hway.
plasoccri View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Stupid Filter Dodge 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plasoccri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2004 at 3:07am

This seems to go into two topics. The founders of the sport leaving and the chance that the sport could be dieing. Well, though paintball is still considered new, it is old. The founders have been around for a while now. They can't live forever but their creation, paintball, will. So as they leave and die out, the sport will live on. It may hit periods of recession, but it will flourish once again. The only thing I could see truly killing it is if prices went to high. It’s already expensive and so if prices get to high only the rich and famous could afford it. Then the sport is as good as dead. 

Edited by plasoccri
You can go far with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun.

noob rymes with boob(noobest responce ever)
LiT uP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiT uP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2004 at 3:51am
Paintball is merely a child going through some growing pains. When hockey started it was a bunch of friends on a pond just having a good time. Now its a massive arena with 30 000 people watching and sponsors posted everywhere. The thing is you can still go out with your friends and have a good time. Exact same goes for paintball. You dont need the best most expensive gear to have a good time. People say its the corporate shiz killing the sport but really most of the blame is layed on us as players. Who buys the gear?

Black DM4
tadao
st trigger
68/4500 pe tank
reloader B
Homer J View Drop Down

Strike 2 for drug related images

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2004 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Civilian Of Civilian Of wrote:

[COLOR="red"]
Its not really bad persay
that the sport has moved this way. It may be more corporate ran, but
the players like it, and they like it A LOT.

As for me, I'd say they're just complacent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic