30 [30.00%]
70 [70.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
†Sniper† View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
In soviet Russia, paintball guns own you

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote †Sniper† Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:23pm
Playing with good friends in the woods behind our houses, with a post-game BBQ to share stories over, that's what paintball is all about.

That has not been touched.
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:25pm

Originally posted by †Sniper† †Sniper† wrote:

Playing with good friends in the woods behind our houses, with a post-game BBQ to share stories over, that's what paintball is all about.

That has not been touched.

As for that part of it, I could not agree more.

The comraderie is what keeps me coming back.

pb125 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 language strike, 10/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:25pm

B2n 7h3m!!!!!

-m3

sig2206.A-5 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
I am a dumb signiuture picture thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sig2206.A-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:26pm
If you think about it though, in lots of places(at least every field ive been too, there has been at least 20-40 people a weekend at fields. Lots of these are are experianced ballers and lots of beginers aswell. I see it as, as long as most fields can keep up somthing like that, or be making decent money, Paintball wont die anytime soon, or well not die, but loose popularity(sp) ratings anyway... (and prices seem to be getting cheaper, in the gun department anyway, wgps new autococker trilogy markers are making ways for paintballers with less money, able to aford a brand name gun) A popular one.(They may not be true cockers, but what the heck....)

Edited by sig2206.A-5
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:31pm

Originally posted by hwayhzrd hwayhzrd wrote:

In far too many ways, it's not "our" sport anymore ... we are simply wallets with legs, just like we are in the eyes of any other industry.

This is true in many ways but not in my parts. I am still recognized at the proshop. When I go to the fields they know I am there alot. Maybe the big businesses think of us wallets but not the fields and small proshops. I have been going to one store since it started as a small store. Now they have a big store and two infield stores.

Maybe it's me..

Que pasa?

†Sniper† View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote †Sniper† Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by .Ryan .Ryan wrote:

Maybe paintball as old timers like us knew it but I don't really think it's dying...I mean, it's more popular than ever and still growing, it's becoming more and more mainstream, it's losing it's stigma....I mean it may not be the old crawlin around in the bush with your buds and your trusty splatmaster and the old names may be disappearing but I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.  Change doesn't mean death...it just means change. The WGP spyder clones and the AKA deal sucks too but that just clears the way for the next generation of WGPs and AKAs. The time we can say it's dying is when we see all this change stop. Then we worry.

That's the thing, there is no next generation of innovators forthcoming. When was the last time any truly unique technology came out? The Halo is the only thing that comes to my mind.
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:34pm
I think at the moment it is trendy... Lots of money it to be made and people are trying to grab it as quickly as possible. The trend will die sooner or later and the business will struggle. The diehards will keep playing and the rest will move to a new trend. A few diehards will start the innovation procees up again, helping to slowly gain paintballing's popularity all over again.
The same is true for Skateboarding. In the late 80s to early 90s skating was popular. It died for nearly ten years where it suddenly exploded and everyone skated, currently the trends are dying as the masses have switched to something else.

I staked the whole time, I had too switch to paintballing because my knees and ankles can no longer handle skateboarding any more.

Tae Kwon Do View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Best Forumer of the Year 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tae Kwon Do Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:35pm

Yes it is.

Paintball is no longer a game by the players, for the players.

Corperations got involved and saw the profit in making it as big as they could so they invented Speedball. Now they can cram more feilds into smaller areas, and now they can whore it out on TV. To be "accepted" as a speedball player you no longer can just get by on what a player of old had. You need a jersey and a superfancy mask and a sock hat and a 18 pod harness and paintball pants and special shoes. You cant just use any gun, you have to use the $900 super paint spraying hose of chrome to use 100x as much ammo as before.

All of this costs alot, And people pay for it all. Big Buisness sits back and smiles as people gobble it up.

Paintball got pimped out and will go the way of the skateboard. Hot for a while, really conglomed, and then go back underground to sleep.

hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:40pm

That's the thing, there is no next generation of innovators forthcoming. When was the last time any truly unique technology came out? The Halo is the only thing that comes to my mind.

Exactly.

And according to the Tom Kaye statement on the AO boards, Odyssey (who created the HALO) is barely hanging on by the skin of their teeth. That would help explain the marketing deal with Empire.

Innovators used to have free reign in paintball.

I know that Enos has had tons of equipment ideas, but has said that trying to do something with them would probably get him sued.

The big companies are basically creating a "closed shop" in terms of getting new ideas off the ground. If they can't get their fingers into it, you can forget it ever seeing the light of day.

Please don't get me wrong. I love paintball as much as anyone. I want it to be popular. I want it to be huge.

What I don't want is for the sport to become a travesty just so people in a fancy building somewhere can look at their quarterly reports to see how much of a bonus check that a sport they could care less about is racking up.

It's our sport, not the corporate raiders' ...

Edited by hwayhzrd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sig2206.A-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:49pm

Exactly.

And according to the Tom Kaye statement on the AO boards, Odyssey (who created the HALO) is barely hanging on by the skin of their teeth. That would help explain the marketing deal with Empire.

Innovators used to have free reign in paintball.

I know that Enos has had tons of equipment ideas, but has said that trying to do something with them would probably get him sued.

The big companies are basically creating a "closed shop" in terms of getting new ideas off the ground. If they can't get their fingers into it, you can forget it ever seeing the light of day.

isent odyssey partners with smart parts,especialy after that big court case they went through with each other...
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:51pm

I seem to remember that Brass Eagle/Viewloader was the company that sued Odyssey, not S.P.

†Sniper† View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote †Sniper† Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:52pm

I seem to remember that Brass Eagle/Viewloader(K2...) was the company that sued Odyssey, not S.P.

They also sued Empire...no more reloader.

Edited by †Sniper†
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sig2206.A-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:54pm
No, but remember the ported barrel incedent, and that ICD thing too, oh what was it...
ThEeViLcHiCkEn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThEeViLcHiCkEn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 10:55pm
Don't you guys see, we are the founder fathers. Paintball is so very young compared to other sports, its just now getting recionized. You know in 10 years, when nppl will take over airtime of NHL, we can look back and say, wow i helped that. Sure there isn't that many compines out there left, but there will be more, look at how many fricken basball bats you can buy at wal-mart. You think it was always like this? No. Without thoes big compinies, there would be NO cometive paintball, we'd still be shooting at cows. The guys who fainally though to shoot eachother is gone, they did what they needed to do. What they needed to do was to start it, not run it. As long as we play, it will not die. Its to big now. don't forget, we are the founding fathers, we are the ones who played when it wasn't even 20 years old. Paintball is still a baby, i mean comon 20 years? that how long it took football to change from a leather helment to a hardend one. Look how far we have come. Within 20 years paintball is on tv, tourny, 30BPS guns, anything you want it there. This sport is the fastest growing sport i have seen, and i will never die.
hwayhzrd View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Out Getting a Beer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hwayhzrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 11:00pm

Good points, evil chicken.

I hope that things work out well in the end, as your post suggests.

I do believe, however, that we as paintballers as well as consumers, need to stop being so apathetic about how the sport is progressing.

Only by staying involved and safeguarding the progress of the sport can we make sure that happy ending is a possibility.

Sammy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 11:01pm
I don't think paintball will ever die. The older people are just fed up with the newer people and are leaving. Newer people will rise up and take their spots, and over time, they will become fed up with the new people. It's an infinite chain. All sports go through it, but it's scary for paintball, because its the first time and hasnt happened yet.
Alienbow13 View Drop Down
<sniff> What’s that smell?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alienbow13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 11:07pm
Paintball will eventually burn it self out like before said but even with all the corporate pillaging that is going on they will never crush the spirit or the will to play of the true contender. The way most fields push the speedball field is harsh out of a sould out rental shop we couldnt get the 10 ppl to play the woods course one day they wanted to play what they had seen on tv they wanted to sling the paint like it was free and with the younger players doing that and their parents being willing to pay all that money for paint i can not blame the fields for doing it. But hey everything has its time and maybe now is the time for paintball to be in that center light ,but the true players the ones that played in woods they owned or before it was televised will always play and that means our sport will live on, just not as a mainstream entity like it is now.

Just my thoughts
Chad
One step I leave an imprint, Two steps is commitment
phillll227 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillll227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 11:10pm
I think that paintball of old is dying, but not paintball in general.

The problem is that the game has become a sport.

The age of playing a game in the woods is dying. It is being replaced by chrome and bright colors and balloons.

Corporations are raking in the cash from customers that think that paintball is a sport, like baseball or football.

The main difference is that in paintball, amateurs use the same equipment and enjoy the same luxuries as the "pros". This creates an ideal environment for corporate growth, which is exactly the problem.

The paintball market is so large but I fear that it is losing its diversity, and eventually everybody will be using the same "marker", the same paint, same equipment, same playing style, and we will all be playing on fields that are made of air balloons and nets. Hopefully, I will be out of the game before this happens.

The bottomline is that the corporatizing of paintball is destroying what it once was, and replacing it with something that is very dissimilar to the original game.

I hope that this post made at least some sense.

[/rant]

Edited by phillll227
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I’ll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Sammy Sammy wrote:

. All sports go through it, but it's scary for paintball, because its the first time and hasnt happened yet.

(I give you 10 Extra Internet points for that one)

Thats what I'm thinking... I know all the "Harden Veterans" are leaving but I think there will be more and more people... I think we are just into a "Recycling Stage" it is dieing yes, Once companies have sued each other for every penny they have got they will get bored of eachother and make up newer Idea for people to ENJOY not somthing they absolutley need according to them...

Also, the rate of fire we are at now days (20+) unless all leagues/fields legalize Full-Auto or somthing, I think we have reached our limit of PBS, i mean who really does need 25pbs screaming down your throat...   I Say lets just kick back, have a Pudding and watch this sport "Recycle" it's self... Yet there may be a horrific aftermath but the idea of "paintball" will always be in the back of our mind, and it will never die...
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2004 at 11:27pm
The game of "paintball" as we knew it has long been dead. The game thats now being played is nothing more than a hollow shell of what once was. Paintball was once once a game of honor, brotherhood, tactics and skill. Today none of of those elements are present. Its gotten so bad I stoped playing the game I once loved.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic