Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Parallel 9 volt mod for halo/reloader b.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parallel 9 volt mod for halo/reloader b.
    Posted: 15 December 2004 at 8:13pm
Well, i found this on PBN and i figured some of you halo owners out there would appreciate it. The following is taken directly from Froth, since he did a great job explaining and i dont think i could do better.

Everyone knows you get ALOT better battery life using Energizer Lithium AA's, and you get even better battery life + Lighter weight by using a Parallel set of 9v's. Well, Why not combine them for the best of both worlds? I've been experimenting with Ultralife Lithium 9v's in my Viking instead of normal alkalines and I've had amazing results - in short, calculations show that I will be able to get 40+ cases off of ONE of these batteries before I need a change. They're amazing.

For this Halo Mod you need:

-Soldering Iron
-Solder
-Three 9v Harness clips
-Two Ultralife Lithium 9v's (Get em here) - Radioshack also carries them @ $7-9 a pop.
-Heatshrink in 1/8" and 1/4"
-Electrical tape
-Packing foam or foam drawer stops

Here's how it goes down, First you need to create a Parallel wiring harness for the two 9v Batteries. this is not hard, follow this diagram for ease of harness making.

Now, hook the batteries to it and it should look like this. These batteries will last TEN YEARS in a standard smoke alarm and are rated to last FIVE times as long as a normal Alkaline.

I used foam drawer stops with adhesive backing to keep the batteries intact and non-rattling. I dont know where to buy these as I found them laying around my room. They however do a great job.

I put one also on the battery cover to hold the batterys even more secure, works great!

Installed, Snug but good

Battery cover snaps on like normal, holds everything really tight. No rattling batteries here!

Pic from outside of shell of installed final product

This mod makes the Halo B noticeably lighter than with the 6 AA's and the life of the batteries should be AMAZING with two Lithium 9v's feeding the battery draining beast of electrical work inside the Halo

Enjoy!
-Kevin

What i did different was using 2 standard 9v alkaline batteries instead of the lithium ones, because the lithium ones were $10 when i went to radioshack. I also used 1 large rubber band around the 2 batteries to make them fit snugly, they dont rattle. This mod is super easy and should result in super long battery life dude to them running in parallel.

Have fun,
-Nick

Edited by NiQ-Toto
///AMG What?
maroon out View Drop Down
Not "moron" - Geez!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maroon out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2004 at 9:19pm
So you're running 18v to the board instead of 9v?

Originally posted by Odyssey's Website Odyssey's Website wrote:

Do not attempt to use another size battery such as 9 volts. They can not provide the current required for optimum performance.
Watch your thoughts they become words
Watch your words they become actions
Watch your actions they become habits
Watch your habits they become character
Watch your character it becomes your destin
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2004 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by maroon out maroon out wrote:

So you're running 18v to the board instead of 9v?

Originally posted by Odyssey's Website Odyssey's Website wrote:

Do not attempt to use another size battery such as 9 volts. They can not provide the current required for optimum performance.
No no no. Because they are being run in parallel, there is only 9 volts getting to the board, same as with 6 AA's. Odyssey means dont run a single 9 volt, because it wont work well. 2 in parallel will work just fine, and for a REALLY long time if you decide to go for the lithiums.
///AMG What?
nouseforaname View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
nouseforatitleeither

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nouseforaname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2004 at 9:42pm
oh snap!!
maroon out View Drop Down
Not "moron" - Geez!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maroon out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2004 at 10:07pm
Gotcha.

Very cool then.
Watch your thoughts they become words
Watch your words they become actions
Watch your actions they become habits
Watch your habits they become character
Watch your character it becomes your destin
:ShockeR_ratm: View Drop Down
Guested - Complete idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote :ShockeR_ratm: Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2004 at 10:01pm
awesome mod...sexy thread

Nobody ever suspects the fun police!
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2004 at 1:33pm
Bump for goodness.
///AMG What?
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2004 at 7:25pm
I would do it if i knew more about the internals of my halo b and if i got rid of my fear of doing electronic mods. Maybe i should take a class or something even though this is a simple mod.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2004 at 9:07pm
Dude, can you change the batteries in the halo?

Then you can install this. Some guy on pbnation is selling the 9volt harness premade for like $5, and you can get the harness and 2 lithium batteries for $20 shipped. All you have to do is put it in.

Open the battery cover, take out the 6 AA pack, put the 2 9 volts in and clip the 2 connectors together.

Its so simple its scary!
///AMG What?
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2004 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by NiQ-Toto NiQ-Toto wrote:

Dude, can you change the batteries in the halo?

Then you can install this. Some guy on pbnation is selling the 9volt harness premade for like $5, and you can get the harness and 2 lithium batteries for $20 shipped. All you have to do is put it in.

Open the battery cover, take out the 6 AA pack, put the 2 9 volts in and clip the 2 connectors together.

Its so simple its scary!
lol . Ok maybe i will do it. I probably should do it, but I am still on my first set of batteries and i they haven't gone out. It seems like they won't die on me.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
pineconecow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pineconecow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2005 at 1:49am
rofl well then mr mod guy couldnt u connect 4 9vs and have a loger life than the 2 9s?

hook em all up same pattern them connect them? ehh?
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2005 at 6:39pm
Havent checked this thread in a while. Yes you could hook up 4 9 volts for super long life, but have fun with 2 of them on the outside of the loader...
///AMG What?
DrexelSkaPB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrexelSkaPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2005 at 9:54pm

Plus one of the points behind this is to reduce weight. By having four 9V batteries your battery weight is closer to that of 6 AAs.

Besides, the battery life of this mod is so high (40 cases it says?), your not going to be worried about an even longer battery life. You'll probably wind up replacing them way sooner than expected, you know, because most people don't keep a running tally on a calendar of how many cases of paint they use.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic