Poll Question: Is there such thing as a PB Sniper
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [53.19%]
44 [46.81%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
TrippiN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 12:32pm
heh.. interesting.. im learning something new about stuff in here every day...
Spyder Imagine 2k4
---
-14" Custom barrel
-DOP Xcore 8stage X Chamber
-DOP Bullet Drop
-12v Revvy w/x board
----
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 12:43pm

Robotech: If you would read on in the manual it says that " A Scout-Sniper engages the enemy beyond range of effective return fire." 

Because in paintball there is no way to deliver precision fire at distances beyond the range of effective return fire. Because all paintball markers shoot the same distance, if chronoed correctly.

Now the next word out of your mouth is going to be "flatline", am I right? Yes the flatline does shoot a longer distance than conventional barrels, but this is where precision comes in. The extra distance added by using flatline is negated by the fact that at that distance accuracy is MARGINAL, there is no way on gods green earth that you can deliver precision fire using marginal accuracy. So you cannot use the extra distance gained by the flatline precisly, so flatline snipers dont work.

As for "snipers" with conventional barrels, with a conventional barrel you lower your range, but gain accuracy( over the flatline). But in using a conventional barrel you can only shoot the at the normal range of any other paintball marker, about 30 meters. Therefore you cannot"engage the enemy beyond range of effective return fire". So that eliminates "snipers with conventional barrels.

All you "Snipers" are doing is using light infintry tactics, thats all you are, Glorified Light Infintry. Thats it.

Edited by Snake6
Spot1st View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 1:22pm

Nicely said ^^^ and I agree, upon further research of this topic I find that you are right and I am wrong...

Fatman Lash View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Flaming

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 1:23pm
LOL, im not going to argue with pointlessness anymore, im just gonna dare you once again to go to a scenerio game like D-Day and play thinking theres no such things as "Snipers." I dont care if you believe in them or not. Let people believe what they want to believe in. Dont go trying to prove them wrong so you look smart cause its pointless. I do not believe im a sniper, I never have tried to be a sniper, yet I believe there is something similar to snipers in paintball. I vote everyone stops the arguing cause theres no way that either side is going to change there opinion, so its pointless.

Click banner to see my marker
AdraiVII View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 2:05pm

Amen to Fatman Lash! The rest of you people need to realize that to be a sniper is only a state-of-mind!

"One who shoots at other people from a concealed place" is the equivilent of assuming the role as a sniper. There are no technical requirements like some of you people saying that you have to be variable "X" thousand feet away, or that you have to carry the latest and greatest state-of-the-art equipment. No! Anyone and/or anything that utilizes the tactics outlining the definition of "One who shoots at other people from a concealed place", is assumed to be the term "Sniper" according to its definition being "One who shoots at other people from a concealed place". That is my theory.

For example, you could be hide behind a porch, five feet away from the target, shoot them, and still be considered a "Sniper"!

And like Fatman Lash was saying, there is absolutely, under no circumstances, that everyone is going to agree with the next person's theory!

Some like to be called "Sniper", others "Hunter", "Predator", "(Fill In The Blank)", or for the rest of us "I just want to enjoy a great game of paintball no matter what other people are calling themselves"!

DROP THE "SNIPER" SUBJECT, AND JUST PLAY THE GAME!!!

Enos_Shenker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 2:09pm

ive learned  that everyone in here is a bunch of noobs.

Enos_Shenk is my hero :)
Robotech View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 3:41pm

Snake...read my post again.  I was going against a tank.  I can fire at a tank and have my balls break on it while being at a range where if it hits me, the balls will not break...they'll bounce...therefore being beyond his effective range.  If it can hit me...but not break on me...then it isn't effective.

Again, as I posted before, it is a very SPECIFIC situation.  Realize too that it was set up by the promoter that I could fire different colored paint and have it be considered Anti-Tank rounds but had certain criteria I had to meet for that to be allowed (Very long marker making it hard to manuver, only held 6 rounds, could not be used against infantry, and only carried 30 rounds into the field).  I agree that in most cases people who call themselves snipers are not even close.  You'll also notice that I made it quite clear that I do not consider myself a "sniper"...no way shape or form.

What's that?  My signature?  The idea behind my signature isn't what you think it is.  The idea is that you make your shots count regardless of what you're doing.  My signature goes along the same lines as some of the other posters here...I don't care what you call how I play...I play what I like because I like it. 

As for the Flatline comment...no, that wouldn't have been the next word out of my mouth.  As you say, they are horribly inaccurate at the extended ranges and some even argue at the shorter ranges too. 

Edited by Robotech
New to the sport?

Proud owner of a WS-66 A-5 ACP
Blackbetty View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Crack is teh Illegal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 4:50pm
Some how in a strange ironic way, Switzerland is winning. Lol
Buy a corvette and show the world that you know absolutely nothing about cars.
The new VW convertible beatle..... now you can actaully hear people call u and idiot.
Travioli View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - Behave or be gone (D4)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 6:52pm
no such thing as a paintball sniper
red Halo B
Crossfire 68ci4500psi
14" Freak
Red to Black Alias Timmy

DrunkDriver View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 7:10pm

Originally posted by limster limster wrote:

grrr,,, being a sniper isnt just about haveing a gun the length of
drunkdrivers penis,,,, theres alot more to it then that,, i bet half the
people here that say there is no paintball snipers,, have said in other
formums that it doesnt matter what gun u have cuz u can always woop
everyone,,, so why can't people woop with sniper tactics,, and simultate a
miltary situation if they feel like,,

They don't make barrels that big.

Shadow16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 7:49pm
once again, all of you "anti-sniper" people are using the military definition of a sniper. Are you in the armed forces when you play a paintball match? Nooooooo you out in the woods or on a field with a bunch of friends playing soldier. And once again, if we get most of our "war" ideas from the military, and all of our tactics are used in the military, why can we not use sniper tactics? I have also noticed people that use the military definition of a sniper, they say there is no such thing as a paintball sniper. Well the last time i checked, most of us never claimed to be a sniper in the armed forces, we claimed to be snipers in paintball. In case you havent noticed there is slight difference there. Military=real guns, real bullets, real death. Paintball=paint guns, fake "bullets", simulated death. All of you are right, paintball guns usually cannot shoot farther than other guns, this is the way they are made. BUT since they cannot shoot farther than each other because of production, doesn't mean we cant be "uhoh im gonna say it" SNIPERS! If you think about it, when your concealed, the opponents dont know where you are, so if you shoot them or shoot at them, and they still dont know where you are, you are in a way "beyond the effective range of fire." If they cant see you they cant shoot you.
Snipers Dominate
98c
16 inch Rifled Barrel
Red dot sight
Soon:
Low pressure system
Shoulder stock
scarsight View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 7:52pm
Yeah woo woo go limster tell those losers with 3000+ posts whos boss, your my hero
98 Custom
14-inch Teardrop Barrel
Double Trigger
Quantum Electric Hopper: lol

A-5
14 inch Werks barrel
Double Trigger
R-5 Hopper
Shocktech Drop Forward

scarsight View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 8:01pm
limster is my hero
98 Custom
14-inch Teardrop Barrel
Double Trigger

A-5
14 inch Werks barrel
Double Trigger
R-5 Hopper
Shocktech Drop Forward

scarsight View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 8:47pm

snipers rule

98 Custom
14-inch Teardrop Barrel
Double Trigger

A-5
14 inch Werks barrel
Double Trigger
R-5 Hopper
Shocktech Drop Forward

Betterdays View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2004 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Shadow16 Shadow16 wrote:

If you think about it, when your concealed, the opponents dont know where you are, so if you shoot them or shoot at them, and they still dont know where you are, you are in a way "beyond the effective range of fire." If they cant see you they cant shoot you.

Avoiding detection after intial contact is virtually impossible in paintball. The short range makes the report easy to pinpoint. Most of the time a single shot is enough to give away your location and any halfway decent team will be on you with just a few seconds of searching, if they don't spot you instantly. Also, since paintballs don't travel faster than the eye can follow, if the shooter is careless you can actually see where the shot comes from.

If you want to excel at paintball forget about snipers and learn the tactics of elite infantry or special forces. They will make you a much more dangerous force on the playing field!

Edited by Betterdays
TrippiN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2004 at 8:04am
Spyder Imagine 2k4
---
-14" Custom barrel
-DOP Bullet Drop
-12v Revvy w/x board
----
Slimz.357 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2004 at 8:10am

And the debate continues!
Best post thus far goes to Fatman Lash, with Jovian's being a close second. (Extra points for Fatman's use of the word "similar"). Worst arguement award goes to Scarsight for triple posting and prooving the point of everyone he was arguing with.
All in all, a good thread. Some very valid points are being made here for both sides.

However, I beleive Fatman has hit the nail on the head. Now pay attention here people because I think this is as close as we're going to get to a solution.

Originally posted by Fatman Lash Fatman Lash wrote:

"I do not believe im a sniper, I never have tried to be a sniper, yet I believe there is something similar to snipers in paintball."

He said there are things SIMILAR to Snipers in paintball. He didn't say "Snipers don't exist you worthless noobs" and he also didn't say "ur wrong my cousn climbs tres an snpers people from 300mils awy,,,,, hes a sniper".

Military Snipers do not use paintball guns. Thus, by function alone one can see that Paintball Snipers and Military Snipers are not the same thing. There are players who play the role of a Sniper in paintball, just as there are those who play the role of General. This makes them Paintball Snipers, not Military Snipers and the two should not be confused.
Nearly all aspects of a Military Sniper have some form of counterpart in Paintball, hence we can safely use the term Paintball Sniper to describe someone who fufils these roles. However, IT IS CRITICAL to point out the key word in that title: "Paintball". So long as this condition is used, I think the use of the term "Paintball Sniper" can be safely used on this forum.

"If you make it idiot proof, they'll make a better idiot."
REQUIRED READING
TrippiN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2004 at 10:55am

^ exactly.. we say we are "snipers.." not USMC Sniper, etc.. I dont see why you incinuate(sp) that.. because we just say sniper. THere are sniper photographers.. bet you didnt know that. The ones whom crawl around in nature in ghille suits, taking pictures of animals from touching distances. . Guess you should go to photo heaven and complain that they are no real nature photgraphers tooooooo..

im bored.. so i had to post that..

Changing Subject*
Did you know Accounting in High School is boring.. oh yea.. forgot something....

Spyder Imagine 2k4
---
-14" Custom barrel
-DOP Bullet Drop
-12v Revvy w/x board
----
Shadow16 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2004 at 1:19pm

Slimz Said:

Military Snipers do not use paintball guns. Thus, by function alone one can see that Paintball Snipers and Military Snipers are not the same thing. There are players who play the role of a Sniper in paintball, just as there are those who play the role of General. This makes them Paintball Snipers, not Military Snipers and the two should not be confused.
Nearly all aspects of a Military Sniper have some form of counterpart in Paintball, hence we can safely use the term Paintball Sniper to describe someone who fufils these roles. However, IT IS CRITICAL to point out the key word in that title: "Paintball". So long as this condition is used, I think the use of the term "Paintball Sniper" can be safely used on this forum.

Thank you!!! this is what i was trying to say but i was to tired to figure out a way to say it. I am currently a PAINTBALL sniper, but soon will probably change roles because every game i play i always end up in a situation where i have to break cover and help my team hold the line, because im one of three tactical people on my team, but if you dont believe there are snipers in paintball, come play with me and my friends and tell them that when they eliminate you and you cant do a thing about it

Snipers Dominate
98c
16 inch Rifled Barrel
Red dot sight
Soon:
Low pressure system
Shoulder stock
SR_Crewchief View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2004 at 11:06pm
I see that most of you failed to read and/or comprehend my earlier post.

For those of you that claim that military definitions of tactical roles don't apply to recreational/scenario paintball, just where do you think your tactics come from? Small unit force on force combat is EXACTLY what your playing. That IS the realm of the military. Just because your "playing" doesn't change the relevence of military tactics and definitions.

Now go back an re-read and learn something. If you disagree, then come back with a detailed discussion and be prepared to defend it...in a civil manor. Name calling does nothing but indicate that your insecure in your position and need to attack other to deflect attention from its weakness.

Take note, what I've done is not claim whether or not "paintball snipers" exist, but rather whether or not the skills of a sniper can be applied to the game of paintball and be effective. Additionally whether or not those skills that can be applied are enough to seperate you from veteran players.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic