Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Airport Security & Paintball Equipment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kevin Z View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airport Security & Paintball Equipment
    Posted: 01 December 2004 at 6:55pm
National Paintball Press Release
Transportation Security Administration

Transporting Paintball Equipment

Sewell, NJ – Historically the transportation of compressed air cylinders via commercial aircraft required you to empty the cylinder before checking it. This was true for paintball and SCUBA cylinders. Over the past couple of months the rules have changed. One interpretation of these rules required paintball markers to be treated as firearms and another would have allowed SCUBA tanks in overhead! In an exclusive interview with Ron Sokolov, TSA's Executive Director of Customer Service and Education, Paintball2Xtremes has learned that effective immediately, the rules are as follows:

Transporting Paintball Equipment

Some paintball gear can be transported on-board the aircraft. Please refer to the guidelines below:

* Eye Protective Devices used in the sport of paintball are acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage.
    * Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. TSA Security Screeners will NOT remove the seal/regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
    * Markers (aka Paintball Guns) are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. These are not considered a firearm and may be transported in unlocked, soft or hard sided luggage.

If you plan to fly with your cylinder you must do the following:

1. Have a properly trained and qualified person remove the regulator/valve from your cylinder.
   2. Go to http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1745. xml and print four copies of the page.
   3. Using a rubber band place one copy around your cylinder.
   4. Place your cylinder without the regulator/valve in your checked baggage.
   5. Give one copy of the page to the person where you check in at the airport.
   6. Keep the other two copies for the flight home.

Please note that this is a brand new change for TSA and the airlines. There may still be some risk that your cylinder will be confiscated, so make every effort to inform the screeners and airline personnel. If it looks like they will not allow your cylinder to be transported, you should ship it to your hotel. Please forward this to as many paintball players as possible and feel free to copy and paste it in it's entirety on paintball newsgroups and forums.

Edited by Kevin Z
United States Marine Corps....   When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight!

Just say NO to junk mods
surfnbrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfnbrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2004 at 6:57pm
nice topic
Tippmann A-5: $230/ E-grip: $120/ JCS trigger: $32/ Tear drop Barrel: $35/   Bunkering you while using it: Priceless
Ilovepaintball1 View Drop Down
Guested. Trouble maker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilovepaintball1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2004 at 8:24pm
Nice topic but I dont think this should be a sticky.....

Props to my Dogg BLAND
matt06 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2004 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Ilovepaintball1 Ilovepaintball1 wrote:

shush up...
i think its pretty dang sticky worthy....might keep us from having to answer the next smacktard that comes through here asking how to transfer his paintball stuff....
boomstick View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2004 at 10:03pm
I always wondered how you would go about doing something like this. Deffinitly sticky worthy.
YONK~!~
Check This Out
rootsradicals View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootsradicals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2004 at 10:08pm
nice, gg, i wish i would have known that when i went to colorado in the summer, i missed out at some air-ballin' at some kids house($uper rich)
WWBDD?

MetallicaESPa5 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Doors Of Perception

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetallicaESPa5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2004 at 7:36am
Good post.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2004 at 9:08am

I do

WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2004 at 5:57pm

good post

jjclown23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
No idea what’s inappropriate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjclown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2004 at 10:04pm
its good, i just dont get why somebody would waste there time unscrewing the top of there co2 or hpa just to bring it on the plane with them when they could leave it shut and then they put it in the cargo hold.
A-5
Response Trigger
DOP Blade Trigger
Polished Internals
X-Chamber
Custom Paint
14" J&J
Ilovepaintball1 View Drop Down
Guested. Trouble maker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilovepaintball1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2004 at 10:07pm

DEFINItLY STICKY WORTHY!!!

Props to my Dogg BLAND
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2004 at 10:11pm
Moron^^

Multi-Colored J View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Enuff Z’Nuff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Multi-Colored J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2004 at 5:27pm
ekeboo, please be quiet.
X
Picasso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Picasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2004 at 6:27pm

If you are only flying out to a game somewhere,  consider putting youre equipment it in a brown box,  pay the $10 or $12, and ship it to someone at the other end.

Removing the Reg. isn't rocket science, but then you introduce a chance for a leak when it is reassembled...and right before a game.

The other option,  is borrow a tank from someone at the location you are flying to.

Now,  I'm thinking you could remove the Fill Nipple on an HPA tank,  and that leaves an "open end"...just bring a wrench and some teflon tape and re-install it at your destination.

I'd remove the fill nipple,  but removing the  regulator,  nah,  I'dstay away from that.

On a Co2 bottle,  you could remove the Burst disc nut...it would then be an open container also.

Kevin Z View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2004 at 6:57pm
No, taking the burst disk or the fill nipple off is not adequate.

"The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside." "TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside."

Also for "jjclown23" the valve has to be removed to get the tank on the plane at all. Not just carry-on.
United States Marine Corps....   When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight!

Just say NO to junk mods
tippmann89c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tippmann89c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2004 at 12:20am

Nice post.

jjclown23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
No idea what’s inappropriate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjclown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2004 at 10:38am
Thanks Kevin for clearing that up.
A-5
Response Trigger
DOP Blade Trigger
Polished Internals
X-Chamber
Custom Paint
14" J&J
pballa j.r. View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike1~Language. 12/04

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pballa j.r. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2004 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Kevin Z Kevin Z wrote:

No, taking the burst disk or the fill nipple off is not adequate.

"The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside." "TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside."

Also for "jjclown23" the valve has to be removed to get the tank on the plane at all. Not just carry-on.

He is right on both issues.
impulse View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 3- prejiduce/hate thread.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2004 at 2:03pm
I say ship the tank. Not worth the hassle of taking the reg. off. If it was a co2 tank I would just buy a new one when I got there.
6,600 posts. I need a lifE
Panda Man View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I’ll feed you to my SNAKE!! METALFACE!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2004 at 2:10pm
Thanx  for the well thought post there Kevin...

I Read as much as my brian could handle but, in the end you have to go to WAY to much trouble to go threw with it though...

I'm going to WI, in August for a couple of weeks, i'm just ganna go threw UPS to deliver it to the house ill be staying at...  I dont think I wanna Strip my equipment down to the last little detail, and then the Air port will probably loose it so... I dont think I'm ganna go threw with that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic