Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A-5 or 98 custom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
baller101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baller101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A-5 or 98 custom
    Posted: 29 November 2004 at 9:01pm
I can't decide between the two
* Tippmann 98 custom with flatline
* tippmann A-5 with smart parts progressive or any other bareel $30-40]
Which one is better for speedball and tournaments,woodsball. which one is more accurate. Which one is easier to clean.And explain why or tell about past expierence. and also is the flatline loud or on a scale 1-10 how loud?
jjclown23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
No idea what’s inappropriate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjclown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 9:12pm

I would say go with the A-5 with a Lapco Bigshot barrel or J&J Cermatic both 14".

They are both about the same for speedball and torunys, depending on how much you upgrade them. They will be about the same accuracy except the 98c will go farther because of the Flatline barrel. The A-5 barrels are much easier to clean because the 98c Flatline has a shroud that is annoying to take off and on, and if you have a break its a pain in the neck. Im not sure about the 98c but with the A-5 the flatline is noticeably LOUD, so ill give it a 9 for loudness.

Good Luck with paintballing!

A-5
Response Trigger
DOP Blade Trigger
Polished Internals
X-Chamber
Custom Paint
14" J&J
pb125 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 language strike, 10/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 9:40pm
i say a-5 with bigshot for speedball, 98c with flatline for woods.
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 9:54pm

Both are equally good markers . I prefer the 98C over the A5 simply because of the A5's hopper , with the A5 , you got no choice , with the 98C , you have as many options as any other player out there .

The A5's hopper has many more moving parts than any other hopper out there, , tippmann tried it a while back with another model , and it didnt fly then either , they improved the Cyclone some, but it still aint top notch in my book for reliability yet, More moving parts = less reliability , , do a search for hopper problems , and you will see my point .

Enough cutting down the Cyclone, if you want a good reliable hopper for the 98C , try the ReLoader . or the Revvy with X board , both made by Brass eagle , but good products anyway (do a search , dont take my word for it ) both arre rated up to 12 BPS and can fill that promise . Avoid the Ricochet Apache loader , good looks , but poor performance .

If you decide on a 98 , you will most likely want to upgrade the barrel first , I have heard the Lapco Bigshot , and the J&J ceramic are decent barrels (Never owned either) , reasonably priced , and good performance . I had Great luck with a .688 JT excellerator (2 Pc) barrel and the shortest extension they make . That would be (presumably ) a Paint to barrel Match issue (Search again to educate yourself) . try webdogradio.us , and Model 98.net to get more detailed info.

Hope this helps .

SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
A-5 08 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

The mob rules!!! Get the pitchforks!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-5 08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 9:55pm
i'd say the a-5 because its an overall better gun than the 98 custom but if people say that the flatline is the only barrel for woodsball its not. A 10-14 inch barrel works fine too. That also converts easily to speedballing. I'd Say A-5 With Lapco Bigshot 12 inch or J and J ceramic 12 inch
The Keen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 9:56pm
Go with the a-5. Overall its a better gun and if you customize it later it will be a lot better than customizing a 98c.
Pimpsta98c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pimpsta98c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 7:12am
ill prolly say A-5. you can use it for speed and for woods. thats the great thing about it. the e-grip is cheaper too so if you want to become strictly speed you should get that.
Matrix
Hyper 2 reg
Proto barrel and grips
Tadao M5
WGP uni
CCM Feedneck
-PREDATOR- View Drop Down
Guested. Foul language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -PREDATOR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 3:06pm
A5 with flatline...
WHOEVER *reb* IS WHY WOULD YOU THINK I HAVE AN OVERSIZED SIG!?!?!! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!THIS FORUM HAS THE WORST MODS EVER!!!!!!!!!
DrunkDriver View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrunkDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Shadowminion Shadowminion wrote:

Both are equally good markers . I prefer the 98C over the A5 simply because of the A5's hopper , with the A5 , you got no choice , with the 98C , you have as many options as any other player out there .

The A5's hopper has many more moving parts than any other hopper out there, , tippmann tried it a while back with another model , and it didnt fly then either , they improved the Cyclone some, but it still aint top notch in my book for reliability yet, More moving parts = less reliability , , do a search for hopper problems , and you will see my point .

Enough cutting down the Cyclone, if you want a good reliable hopper for the 98C , try the ReLoader . or the Revvy with X board , both made by Brass eagle , but good products anyway (do a search , dont take my word for it ) both arre rated up to 12 BPS and can fill that promise . Avoid the Ricochet Apache loader , good looks , but poor performance .

If you decide on a 98 , you will most likely want to upgrade the barrel first , I have heard the Lapco Bigshot , and the J&J ceramic are decent barrels (Never owned either) , reasonably priced , and good performance . I had Great luck with a .688 JT excellerator (2 Pc) barrel and the shortest extension they make . That would be (presumably ) a Paint to barrel Match issue (Search again to educate yourself) . try webdogradio.us , and Model 98.net to get more detailed info.

Hope this helps .

Shadowminion, we rarly agree, and this is one of those rarities. Not only do we agree, there is not one thing I could comment on or improve, you said it perfectly.

heavymetal99 View Drop Down

Guested for F-bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavymetal99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 3:50pm
it really depends where u play, i like the 98 with flatline though.
Blue Hopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 3:55pm
Nothings more acurate than a flatline. But the a5s hopper is nice. Though the a5 can have more things go wrong with it than the 98 because its more complicated. Also the a 5 seems way more adaptable.
poamike View Drop Down

Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poamike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 3:59pm
a-5 with a teardrop (i love it)
I need to read the rules on sig and avatar sizes.
scarsight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarsight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 4:42pm
a-5 with 14 inch werks
98 Custom
14-inch Teardrop Barrel
Double Trigger
Quantum Electric Hopper: lol

A-5
14 inch Werks barrel
Double Trigger
R-5 Hopper
Shocktech Drop Forward

JacBacpaintball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacBacpaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 5:25pm
get a flatline there awesome
FLATLINES SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DON'T BE AFRAID OF BALLZ!
my setup is
98 custom
double trigger
lapco bigshot 14 in.
12volt revolution

pearldrumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pearldrumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Shadowminion Shadowminion wrote:

Hope this helps .

what do you mean "moving parts", any electronic hopper has moving parts. Anway, I would definitly go for the A-5 with a J&J Ceramic.

pain only hurts for a minute
surfnbrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfnbrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 8:07pm
get the a-5 with a tear drop barrel at paintball discounters.com   they have the best prices ever.   flatline requires alot of cleaning and knoweledge  but it is good   but i would go wit the a-5 and a tear drop not progessive   tear drop is much better for only 34 bucks at  pb discounter!!!!!!!!!!!
Tippmann A-5: $230/ E-grip: $120/ JCS trigger: $32/ Tear drop Barrel: $35/   Bunkering you while using it: Priceless
p8ntball4life98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p8ntball4life98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2004 at 8:26pm
they say a-5 i would go with a 98c thats what id did and i love it dosent cost as much and u cant put just about anything on it u like for a little cheaper price. but hey its just my opinion so dont let anyone change your mind and me just go which ever one u want
here i sit brokenharted i came to poo but only farted
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic