FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

if you dont like smart parts come here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Multi-Colored J View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Enuff Z’Nuff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Multi-Colored J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 3:24pm
Smart Parts had sex with my momma!
X
AdmiralSenn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdmiralSenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 3:36pm
Riiiiight. Smart Parts "invented" these things.. so why did WDP win the lawsuit?

People hate them because they shut down production of the X-mag, E-mag, Viking, and Excalibur.

For comparison purposes:

If Tippmann followed the same practices, they would have patented the ASA way back when, and we'd either all be using 12 grams or every gun with an ASA would owe Tippmann money for each unit produced.

Similarly, when Smart Parts messes with these other companies (AGD and AKALMP), they force them to either pay money, or they shut down new innovations based on this technology (electronics).

Man, I wish I had that SP logo animation.

Is God real? You'll find out when you die.

Okay, I don't have a clever signature zinger. So sue me.
Jet87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jet87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 4:00pm
I have a 12" inch Smart Parts progressive barrel which works nicely on my A5 but from all the lawsuits I hear SP going through it makes them look bad and the lawsuits in general just seem stupid. I understand they want money and I know I don't think like a big buisness but it's just my perspective as a consumer.
"Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution"
    My Pics
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

To summarize:  Most people dislike SP because they (not SP) are stupid sheep.

I dislike smart parts because they have a totally BS patent that theoretically claims 90% of electronic guns. Even though i hate electros, the libertarian in me makes me despise the idiots that operate a business on those principles.

I dont jump on bandwagons.
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 4:24pm
clark how come most of the posts i see by you are just vague arguements based on stereotypes...

anyway i dont like most of SP gear... i own a 2k1 shocker and while it shoots great its a pain to work on. i have also done alot of work on impys and i dont realy like how they are set up eather...getting to the triggers a pain in the butt...

saving the world, one warship at a time.
Rico's Revenge View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 4:26pm

Economics is more than just supply and demand.   Economics includes the motives that drive sales.   Instead of relying on their ability to create a better product, SP has tried to limit the choices available to consumers in their attempt to drive sales.

SP is basing their lawsuit on a creation of a microswitch that operates a solenoid to cycle a paintball marker.   The actual inventors did NOT work for SP at the time however they sold their design and the rights to it to SP... the marker they had was the Shocker.

SP used their purchased rights to patent the process then proceeded to sue mainly the smaller PB manufacturers for unauthorized use of the switch.   Their main goal was to force these businesses under or get them to pay a royalty for each and every marker sold.   They were successful in forcing AKA out of business and the world lost a great company.   NPS and Kingman folded and agreed to pay the royalty, this was mainly for the Intimidators and Spyders.   SP ran into a problem when they went after WDP, the makers of the Angel.  

WDP did their research and discovered that the person that actually invented the solenoid/switch was not compensated by SP.   This person worked for the company that developed the system but had left the company before the rights were sold to SP.   WDP bought the unpaid developers rights to the patent and in court proved that they had the right to share the patent.  In effect, SP lost.

The above would have been MORE than enough for me to dislike SP and to perform my right as a consumer and NOT give them my money.

Then, at the X-Ball portion of the World Cup, the Gardner's (SP) screwed the Oakland Assassins and Chicago Aftershock by getting the ESPN film crew to leave early and not film the game that they were contractually obligated to film.   As a result, both teams boycotted SP and refused to play.   Obviously, those are sketchy details... you can search pbnation.com or flagstation.com for more details on that fiasco.

Anywhoo, these are my reasons.   I am not a sheep either.   I am not a un-educated idiot.   There are the facts, make your own decision.

"Thats right, I play pump... your girlfriend borrowed my last set of batteries."
"How many times a second are you going to miss me before I shoot you?"
Dave Ellis Rocks!!!
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 4:36pm

SP's actions are common place in a world where individuals have to look out for their own best interest.

Making money is a cut throat business and reguardless of what that business is someone will be looking to get one over on you.  Believe this.

Get used to it. 

Sent from a phone booth
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 4:39pm

Originally posted by AdmiralSenn AdmiralSenn wrote:

Riiiiight. Smart Parts "invented" these things.. so why did WDP win the lawsuit?

Read the court's decision.  SP DID invent (at least in part) the technology behind main patent.  But, like idiots, they didn't get the other co-inventor's signature on the employment agreement that assigned the co-inventor's rights to the patent.  WDP cleverly bought those rights from the co-inventor.

WDP won because of clever lawyering and because of SP's stupidity - NOT because SP didn't invent anything.

Quote People hate them because they shut down production of the X-mag, E-mag, Viking, and Excalibur.

AGD voluntarily stopped production - partially because of fear of lawsuits, but voluntary nonetheless.  AKA was infringing on SP's patent.  Doesn't matter if it is SP's or WDP's patent - AKA was infringing, as was ICD.

You might as well be mad at the VHS people for shutting down BetaMax.  That's what people with patents do.  That's why we have patents.

Quote For comparison purposes:

If Tippmann followed the same practices, they would have patented the ASA way back when, and we'd either all be using 12 grams or every gun with an ASA would owe Tippmann money for each unit produced.

You have been reading too much Doc Nickels...

Assuming Tippmann could have patented the ASA (which is by no means certain), then yes, there would be a royalty fee on each ASA sold.  But so what?  You pay a royalty fee on each DVD player you buy - has that made DVD players impossibly expensive?  Of course not.

Of course, if Tippmann had patented the ASA, somebody else may have invented something different and better, or maybe direct-attach tanks like AIR would be more popular.  Or something.  The world isn't as simple as Doc makes it out to be.

And, further, to hold up Tippmann as some kind of model of business kindness is silly.  How many patents does Tippmann hold?  (Answer - lots)  How come there isn't a Cyclone on every Spyder?  Or a Flatline on every ATS gun?  Because Tippmann won't let them, that's why.  Bottom line - as to patent management, Tippmann DOES follow the same practices as SP.  If ICD came out with a Cyclone clone tomorrow, you can bet that Tippmann would sue the next day.

Is it possible that Tippmann passed up an opportunity to patent something?  Sure.  Does that mean that Tippmann is goody-two-shoes, and SP is the devil?  Of course not.

Quote Similarly, when Smart Parts messes with these other companies (AGD and AKALMP), they force them to either pay money, or they shut down new innovations based on this technology (electronics).

Innovation?  Exactly what is innovative about an ICD gun?  Patent is there to encorage innovation.  The reason SP was able to shut down ICD was because ICD wasn't being innovative.  Patent law allows you to patent innovation, including improvements over old patents.

How about DeadlyWind's Hairtrigger?  There's some innovation for you, brought about in part (IMO) by determination not to use electronics.  Qloader, Cyclone, Flatline - THAT is innovation.

But more importantly - if patents don't hold up, nobody would bother to innovate, because infringers like ICD would come along and rip off your stuff.

SP did (TMK) nothing different from every other company that isn't being run from a garage. 

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 4:40pm

Enos, Merc, and Rico - I carefully inserted "most" in my post for a reason...

:/

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 5:08pm

I got that... nothing meant by it.

I have read the Patent, the Patent Judgement and a whole lot of other junk that would bore most.

To delv further into the case, SP did NOT invent the system.   It was actually developed by a guy named Dr. Ed Hensel who was a professor at the University of New Mexico.   Dr. Hensel joined up with a company called Pneu Ventures which was owned by Ray Gaston and Dave Smith.   Pneu Ventures had a document prepared which stated that any ideas of the people involved with Pneu Ventures would be corporate property.   Dr. Hensel refused to sign this and they never pursued it.  

Since there was no one at Pneu Ventures that had a clue about electronics and incorporating them into a PB marker, they asked Dr. Hensel to develop the system, which he did in his garage at home.   Then he brought the system to Pneu Ventures and they incorporated it into their new marker.  

When SP filed for the patent, they named only the Gardner's, Gaston and Smith as the "inventors."   Dr. Hensel was left off.   Throughout the proceedings, it was shown that the Gardner's had absolutely nothing to do with the invention and couldn't even explain how it worked.   Close to the same was true for Gaston and Smith.

Dr. Hensel was the sole inventor and now WDP is suing to have the SP patent revoked and issued to them as the owners of the rights that Dr. Hensel sold them.   I do not believe that they will be sucessful with that.   But, what that does is open up a bidding war between SP and WDP with the rest of the PB marker manufacturers.   My hope is that WDP will sell the rights for a very nominal fee and in effect make the patent available for general use.

DracoPlasm View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What is a DracoPlasm anyway?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DracoPlasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

SP's actions are common place in a world where individuals have to look out for their own best interest.

Making money is a cut throat business and reguardless of what that business is someone will be looking to get one over on you.  Believe this.

Get used to it. 

Exactly business is business your there to make money not make friends with your competitors thats a cold hard fact people need to get used to it and quit whining like little 2 year olds

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanna be a cowboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico's Revenge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 5:18pm
The day people stop whining and fighting against un-ethical business practices is the day that I will retire.   Yes, there are many cut-throat business people out there.   But, they are in the minority by an immense margin to those who would rather do the right thing.   You hear about the people like SP and Bill Gates that make the noise, but it is always the sqeaky wheel that gets the grease.
SebastianBlack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master & Commander of the T*W*A*T

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SebastianBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 5:30pm
This smartparts animated logo senn?
FFKFASOFAA
Erst wenn die Wolken schlafengehn
kann man uns am Himmel sehn
wir haben Angst und sind allein

Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein
zombieman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zombieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 5:31pm
this is reallly funny but i was jsut wonderign dont get your undies in a bundle and just to tell you i like them
My setup
Red ion
Red system x drop
Red New designz trigger
Red q lock feed neck
68/45 crossfire blue
eggy
Soon to Come
Element Ion Body and Frame
TruePaintballer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Spam 11-19

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruePaintballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 5:34pm
I personally think they are a great company. I have one beef and that is because i requested a cateloge four times and never got one...Sheessh all I want is a cateloge!
Outlaws
*Sponsors*
Abrika
:ShockeR_ratm: View Drop Down
Guested - Complete idiocy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote :ShockeR_ratm: Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by zombieman zombieman wrote:

this is reallly funny but i was jsut wonderign dont get your undies in a bundle and just to tell you i like them

what the hell did you just attempt to say?

Nobody ever suspects the fun police!
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by zombieman zombieman wrote:

You are entitled to your own opinion, there is nothing wrong with that.  I agree that SP does make some nice products, but the ethics of their buisness its not to my liking. 
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
ThEeViLcHiCkEn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThEeViLcHiCkEn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 5:44pm
clark kent & lightningbolt & DracoPlasm own all of you

(forgot which way the "<>" goes.)

I like smart parts, there guns are good. So what, what they did. Boo Hoo, even if the compines were around, your stuff would be the same price. Sp will never take over the pb industry, if there the only company left (never will happen,ever) the government will step in, pay for a company to get started, and let it go. Grow the hell up. You don't work for the companies that Sp but out of business, you dont get any money from them being around, what do you get? One or Two products that you MIGHT buy?

WGP guy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Quoted F and S bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 5:50pm

Originally posted by DracoPlasm DracoPlasm wrote:

i use smartparts

ooo!!! j()() are a user! you use people!

lol

I dont like them because I would rather have a larger selection.  And have you seen there barrel "bags"? they need to get better people

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2004 at 6:32pm

Originally posted by ThEeViLcHiCkEn ThEeViLcHiCkEn wrote:

clark kent & lightningbolt & DracoPlasm own all of you

(forgot which way the "<>" goes.)

I like smart parts, there guns are good.

If you wan I could make this as to wht SP markers do infact suck beyond all recognition.

Quote Boo Hoo, even if the compines were around, your stuff would be the same price.

But they wold be available. there wouldnt be any last DC viking, or last 10 vikings. The same with excals, e-mags, and x-mags.

Quote Grow the hell up. You don't work for the companies that Sp but out of business, you dont get any money from them being around, what do you get? One or Two products that you MIGHT buy?

If you want I can give you the aim of someone whose dreams were crushed because AKA can no longer make any markers. He planned on working somehow and oding something(I cant remember what) for AKA, but now he cant. Though if you did try and talk to him about that he would just block you.

I dont like SP because they make inferioro markers, and sell them for way more than they should. I dont like them because when I watch the NXL on ESPN, I wont get to see the third game I was suposed to because SP caused the 3rd and 4th place game to not be shown. I dont like them because I can never buy an 05 viking.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic