FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a good lathe and mill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a good lathe and mill
    Posted: 25 October 2004 at 8:57pm
Kinda a question for enos but anybody who know just say. well im lookin for a good SMALL lathe and mill. the mill cant be over 5 thousand though.

SeaWolf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Doesn’t know who Big Al is...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 8:59pm
u can get something decent for under $5000... i don't know of any companies that make them, though.

I'll ask my boss how much our lathe was.

FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 9:06pm
ya, i would love to own one, but theres no way i would spend money on a lathe when i could get a good sup'airball field for that, LOL
<1 meg sig = bad>
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 9:09pm
Enos why are you not answering?? srry for the stupid comment but i realize you are a mod and have to scan the whole forum so sorry

Edited by ekeboo

evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 9:10pm
Did you try lookin in Ebay?
Do not steal....the government hates competition!
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 9:11pm
Well i just dont now what the good stuff is i dont want to buy a cheapo one that breaks in one use

Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 9:12pm
I own a Homier 7x12 lathe. Its fairly cheap at around $375, but it runs very nice once you tweak some stuff on the machine.

Check out http://www.mini-lathe.com
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 9:16pm

$375...wow that is cheap and I jus remembered I saw a magazine that advertizes mills and drills as well as lathes at Barnes & Noble.

And the cheapest mill & drill they were advertizing in the magazine was selling fer it $495, dont remember the name of the brand tho.

Do not steal....the government hates competition!
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 9:18pm
thanks guys i found a lathe but what about a mill i would like one of those too.

FROG MAN View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1- Language, 11/29/09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FROG MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 9:19pm

Originally posted by ekeboo ekeboo wrote:

Enos why are you not answering?? srry for the stupid comment but i realize you are a mod and have to scan the whole forum so sorry

got all worried for nothin, he was just gettin a pic and some info for you, geez paitience 

<1 meg sig = bad>
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2004 at 9:25pm
srry ^^ but i am impatient and ive got to do homework now so later.

TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 1:06am
For $5k you can get a used Bridgeport mill will a few accessories, Google it, something will come up.
For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
youm0nt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

MY CAPS LOCK IS STUCK HELP!!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youm0nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 5:42am
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 4:45pm
Thanks youmont

waarp8nt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waarp8nt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 5:31pm

Try here http://www.blueridgemachinery.com/....under special sales.  They have a mill/drill that would fit nicely into your budget. 

You can always look for used good old school U.S.A. made machines like Southbend and Bridgeport.  They are well built and usually worth a little more, but you could pull in a 9" or 10" Southbend Lathe for $1200-$2400 with tooling.  The Bridgeport Mill would depend alot on condition, but could be had for $1000-$3000.

The school that I went to had some nice Logan lathes.  Simple to operate and the speeds could easily be changed from under the bench with a belt.

Tippmann 68 Carbine
D-feed
X-core
Palmer Direct Stabilizer
Ricochet AK hopper
J&J 12" barrel
Y2K cradle/Drop
Trigger Mods

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 6:20pm
Call me a n00b, but what exactly does a lathe do?
Roll Tide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NEVER had a STRIKE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roll Tide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 7:26pm

Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

Call me a n00b, but what exactly does a lathe do?

How exactly does a mill work?

Edited by Roll Tide
ScarFace22 View Drop Down
Guested. Prejudice crap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarFace22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 8:08pm

[QUOTE=Tolgak]Call me a n00b, but what exactly does a lathe do?[/QUOTE]

Your not the only one I was wondering the same thing.

Check my thread in the Great guns thread for Timmy tech help or PM me
Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 8:10pm

I'd get an old Bridgeport , you can actually make parts to rebuild itself , way-guides and such , with a mill , but  it would be a strickly manual operation , for doing fancy CNC work, your looking in the neighborhood of 1-200K$ , Traveller had a good estimate on prices for both the lathe and mill .

Trog , a lathe ,, shapes metal by turning the metal past a stationary Bit , can make tubes out of pieces of round stock , can cut threads into that metal , grooves for O-rings , Sleeve bearings (and Barrel inserts ).

A mill is almost exactly the opposite , a turning bit travels past a stationary piece of metal , you can cut reliefs , dovetails  , keyways , make way guides (flat linear bearings , Brass ) and a Variety of other work with the proper holders and bits .

Both Very useful pieces of equipment for metalworking .

Nice lil lathe there , Enos , 7" swing and 12 inch length ? Heh, with a few mods on that thing , you could have a precision ID/OD grinder , Oh, isnt that outlet a bit overloaded ? He-He

Edited by Shadowminion
SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
zak View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
ive been called plenty of things on here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 8:21pm
lathe spins the metal and you use cutting tools to remove metal. example would be turning a 2inch peice of stock into a paintball barrel. as for a mill its like a drill press but the table moves back and forth. you put endmills in and feed the peice into the mill to remove metal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic