Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A tactical discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Giblet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giblet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2004 at 3:54pm

imo i figure let people call it what they will. I figure if you can conceal yourself and hit someone before they have much time to react and pick targets in a manner so that other members of the opposition dont know exactly where you are, to me i would call you and effective "sniper". You dont have to be an exelent shot. if you can get someone close enough that if you shot 5-10 balls you could hit them with one i think you could be effective.

on the lines of sharp shooters, i see them as people not looking for total concealment. kind of a suport possition. you have someone with a high rof gun go ahead and once they encounter the opposition a sharpshooter who fallows beind would flank a little and use thier better marksmanship to take them out. they need to have some breathing room but dont need much. enough to alow them to aim more than most snap shots. If the fire turns twords him the guy with the high rof gun starts firing more agresivly to get the attention back on him.

tl;dr - if your guna go and hide and wait for someone to get close enough for you to get him i would say your sniping but i think a sharp shooter is not a position that would be played by someone sitting and waiting but more an agressive possition played to suport the frontmen.

Shadowminion View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Language, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2004 at 5:00pm

Some people will be hostile and immature ,no matter what information you give them .

I say their loss , and lets play some ball

SL68-II , micro honed and polished .688" bore . Tuff Enuf .
Widowmaker , under construction
MROD View Drop Down
Strike 2 vulgar material 2/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2004 at 9:58am
lol good deal
I need to find smaller pictures for my profile.
spiderV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 10:09am
IM STILL A BETTER SNIPER
spider
Robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 4:09pm

There is not much here to disagree with.  About the only thing I've ever had a problem with is people believing you have to be outside the effective range of your target to be considered a "sniper".  Up until recently, snipers used weapons that had similar ranges to those carried by their targets. Now, range is just one more way for a sniper to conceal himself. 

Seriously though, you guys have posted some of the best information on this subject that I've seen.  I dispise the term "sniper" when it comes to paintball because unless you're talking a scenario game where you can do the recon work and what not the ability to be like a true sniper doesn't come around often.  What really gets me though are those guys that say "Yea, I'm a sniper." or "I like to snipe." and you watch them play and realize they have no CLUE what they are talking about.

You'll see my signature and think I believe otherwise, but I use to play old school stock class back when that's all there was to play.  You get that mentality of "This shot has to count" when you play that way.  So, to me, One Shot One Kill is more about my ability to make the shot count than being a "sniper".  Sure I have a marker that most define as a "sniper setup" but that's used for scenario games where I can do recon work and where taking out someone who is a dynamic leader at a critical point might help my side gain the advantage.  But I'll never call myself a sniper.  I'm just a member of the team...and on a speedball court I'm more of the guy that stays in back, keeps the other guy's heads down, and am shouting out locations for my front guys.

Anyway, again, best Paintball Sniper thread I've ever seen.  I'd love to see the term dropped from paintball as well just because so many people have no idea what it is to truely be a "sniper".

New to the sport?

Proud owner of a WS-66 A-5 ACP
TheClinton001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheClinton001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 4:14pm
there really isnt a sniper in the game of paintball. some people that stay in the back and pick people off, they call themselves snipers. Many people arent good so they just buy this high tech guns and say they snipe. A sniper has superm aim, camoflauge, and a real gun that is silent. Many of the so called snipers can not use silent gun, have no aim what so ever and no camo. Ther is NO "sniper" in paintball im sorry to say.
http://www.freewebs.com/underdogpaintball/
It's my teams website!!!!!!!!!!!!
DrunkDriver View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrunkDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2004 at 6:45pm
Where is Durr? He is my hero because he fights for the truth, the truth that there are no snipers in paintball. He does what the rest of us are to lazy and do not have the time to do, argue with these "noobs" about snipers.
Robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2004 at 12:07am

Clinton...this is the exact reason why I hate the term.  You are very correct.  There are a lot of people out there that claim they are snipers and from what I've seen, not a one of them can even come close.  I've found that usually the guys that can come the closest to pulling it off...never ever call themselves snipers.

As always, it comes down to semantics.  Again, in Scenario games you can have guys that play the role of the sniper.  They move into a position where they can observe the other team's movement and report back to their HQ helping their side determine what to do next.  They may take out a couple guys here and there when they need to or when an opportunity presents itself that will help their side's cause but that's about it.  Their job...gather intel.  It's either that or help gaurd the CP but I think that is more of an ambush tactic than a Sniper tactic even if they are shooting from a concealed position and using the firefight over the CP to mask their own shots so they can remain hidden.

In woodsball there are very few moments when anything like this exists EXCEPT in the case of capture the flag where again it is part of the defense of the flag station. In elimination or speedball though, the role of a sniper just does not benifit the team and cannot properly be played out even in these limited terms.

New to the sport?

Proud owner of a WS-66 A-5 ACP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic