Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A tactical discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
WDR-Tyger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDR-Tyger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2004 at 11:13pm

Well seeing that the whole mess was my fault (I made the offending video) I'll chime in.

My problem with people saying they're a "Sniper" is pretty much what's been said here.  They don't understand what a "Sniper" is, or does.  For them it's a generic term like "Xerox" or "Kleenex", the guy in the back row of the field with his long-barreled whatever is automatically a "Sniper" becasue he's making long range shots.

Over on the Web Dog board I made an analogy to that using law enforcement.  to regurgitate it : "Bob works at a security company and walks a beat in a school. Is he a police officer? No. He does much the same job in some respects, but he has no real authority to enforce laws. He has no formal police officer training. He has no badge. He has no jail he can put people into. His "outfit" is similar to a policeman, he may even have some of the same gear (cuffs, flashlight, belt...) but he's still not a policeman. Nor does not call himself one either."  I totally agree with what SR_Crewchief says, we don't fill the entire definition in paintball.  I just hoped to answer that on the show.

The only reason we get flamefests and debates when the topic comes up is the fantasy element of paintball.  Let's face it, paintball is a safe fantasy for many people on many levels.  SOME tournament players fantasze about being athletes (jerseys, names and numbers on the back, in arenas), some rec players fantasise about playing war (calling themselves a "Sniper" and the like.)  To threaten the fantasy is to threaten something very important to the individual.  It's similar to telling a child that (insert mythical creature) does not exist.  If you take that away, they feel threatened and react accordingly.

Same with a lot of this debate.  You remove the fantasy, you get a violent response becasue you're threatening a part of emotional security.  It's the same reaction when you argue that paintball is not a sport to tournament players.  It's psychology at that point.

Will the "debate" end?  No.  As long as new players buy bags of 500 "bullets" and they use the term "sniper" to describe that guy who made that crazy-mad longball shot, we'll always have the discussion.  Personally, I would like to see the term vanish from the paintball lexicon, but I know it's unrealistic.  I'm jsut doing my little part to push it out.

-Tyger

Yeah, "that" Tyger.
keithx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 12:14am
i liked your video...
I prefer .223 over .68
---------------------
A-5 R/T
Flatline w/ F/X SD shroud
F/X Sniper stock
Intruder Assault Foregrip
SpecterGear CQB 3pt Sling
Crossfire 68/4500 (coming soon)
Robert_Hawker View Drop Down
Strike 1, S-bomb 10-7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert_Hawker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 12:49am

^^ Yea i liked you segment on snipers too.

As i said b4 i use the term sharpshooter for our teems "Sniper" and he has sharpshooter on his uniform becouse he is the best shot on our teem with a paintball marker (I hold the real gun honers) I just cant get used to the arc factor. but he has never called himself a sniper and will tear the head off anyone who compares him to one. We all pay homage to his skill but we never even thought of calling him a sniper. We, for the most part, have allot of experiance with guns as were all hicks but we never even compared the skill set from target shooting to paintball there are just to many diffrences.

You can still be a sneeky mother and get a good shot but then you are more of scout or skermisher than a sniper.

I did meet one person on the feild who quolifies (sp?) he used an all custom rifle setup with the velosity set way hight like 500 fps but he will only use it at extreem range. he dose fit the bill but you average player playing with a turny safe gun can in no way shape or form be a sniper.

^^ Yea i know thats dangerous but he is a good freind of mine now and i trust him allot. Heck i matchined the barrel he uses on that thing. and for the record he uses a tippy as his main gun.

Edited by Robert_Hawker
Tipp A-5
Opsgear Saw Shroud
Opsgear G36 Folding Stock
16" j&j
abegarza911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abegarza911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 4:01am

1-The traditional definition of a sniper is an infantry soldier especially skilled in field craft and marksmanship who stalks and kills selected enemy with a single aimed rifle shot.

The word originates from the snipe, a game bird difficult for hunters to sneak up on.

In the last few decades the term 'sniper' has been used rather loosely, especially by the media in association with police precision riflemen, those responsible for assassination, any shooting from all but the shortest range in war and any criminal equipped with a rifle in a civil context. This has rather expanded the general understanding of the meaning of the term. It has also given the term 'sniper' distinctly pejorative connotations. This explains the increasing use of alternative terms, especially for police snipers such as counter-sniper, precision marksman, tactical marksman, sharpshooter and precision shooter.

2-Training is of paramount importance for snipers. A well-trained sniper can compensate for poor equipment. Military sniper training tries to teach a high degree of proficiency in camouflage and concealment, stalking and observation as well as precision marksmanship under wide operational conditions.

Snipers are generally volunteers accepted for sniper training on the basis of their aptitude as perceived by their commanders. Sniper trainees typically shoot a couple thousand rounds over a number of weeks. The training teaches core skills of camouflage, concealment, moving tactically over terrain, observation and rifle-shooting under varying conditions. Military snipers may be trained as FACs (Forward Air Controllers) to direct military air strikes, in artillery target indication and as mortar fire controllers.

Snipers are trained to squeeze the trigger straight back with the ball of their finger, to avoid jerking the gun sideways. The most accurate position is prone, with a bipod supporting the barrel, and the stock's cheek-piece against the cheek. Sometimes a sling is wrapped around the weak arm to reduce stock movement. Some doctrines may train a sniper to shoot between breaths or even between heartbeats to minimize barrel motion.

The range to the target is measured or estimated as precisely as conditions permit. Laser rangefinders may be used. At longer ranges, the bullet drop is estimated from a chart which may be memorised or taped to the rifle. The sights are adjusted accordingly. Shooting uphill or downhill can require more adjustment, either by "holding off" by eye, or "dialing in" to the scope. The slant of visible convections near the ground can be used to estimate crosswinds, and correct the point of aim. The point of aim is in front of moving targets. Anticipating the behavior of the target helps place the shot.

3-At distances over 300 yds (300 m), snipers usually attempt body shots, aiming at the chest and depending on tissue damage, organ trauma and blood loss to make the kill. At lesser distances, snipers may attempt head shots to ensure the kill.

In instant-death hostage situations, police snipers shoot for the cerebellum, a part of the brain that controls voluntary movement, that lies at the base of the skull. Some wound ballistics and neurological researchers have argued that severing the spinal cord at about the second cervical vertebra is what is actually achieved, usually having the same effect of preventing voluntary motor activity, but the debate on the matter remains largely academic at the present date.

To perform civil pacification, sniper-suppression, and intelligence a sniper or pair of snipers will locate themselves in a high, concealed redoubt. They will use binoculars or a telescope to identify targets, and a radio to provide intelligence.

Since most kills in modern warfare are by crew-served weapons, reconnaissance is one of the most effective uses of snipers. They use their aerobic conditioning, infiltration skills and excellent long-distance observation equipment and tactics to approach and observe the enemy. In this role, their rules of engagement let them engage only high-value targets of opportunity.

A sniper identifies targets by their appearance and behavior. Snipers shoot people who are in high-rank uniforms, or who talk to radiomen, or who sit as passengers in a car, or who have military servants, or who talk and move their position more frequently. If possible, snipers shoot in descending order by rank, or if rank is unavailable, they shoot to disrupt communications.

Snipers use deception, in the form of camouflage, unusual angles of approach, and frequent, often slow movement to prevent accurate counter-attacks. Some snipers are able to shoot an observant target from less than 100 yards (~100 m), while the target is searching for them, without being seen.

To perform suppressive fire to cover a retreat, a sniper positions himself, hidden, with a view to a large open space. When a pair of enemy squads attempts a crossing, the sniper disables one person, preferably a leader. Most often this is a hip shot, possibly followed by a jaw shot to prevent effective instruction. When the squad attempts a rescue, the sniper uses rapid fire, aiming for the trunks of enemy soldiers to kill as many as possible. A prudent sniper leaves the area at this point, anticipating the flanking attack that normally follows. A brave or desperate sniper may ambush one of the flanks, and if possible, will move outside the flank to do so.

To demoralize enemy troops, snipers can follow predictable patterns. During the Cuban revolutionary war, the 26th of July Movement always killed the foremost man in a group of Batista's soldiers. Realizing this, none of them would walk first, as it was suicidal. This effectively decreased the army's willingness to search for rebel bases in the mountains.

With heavy .50 calibre rifles, snipers can shoot turbine disks of parked jet fighters, missile guidance packages, expensive optics, or the bearings, tubes or wave guides of radar sets. Snipers on hill-tops can often shoot down scout helicopters lurking below a ridge-line. Similarly, snipers may shoot locks or hinges instead of using a door-opening charge.

4-Generally snipers are isolated even from soldiers of their own army by the dislike of the ordinary infantry for this type of combat. During World War II, captured snipers were often shot out-of-hand by their captors.

A commonly held view is that snipers must have a psychopathic or sociopathic personality in order to function efficiently. This view is not shared by military experts as dysfunctional personalities are likely to be unreliable in high-stress combat situations. Most people will also agree that training a mentally ill person into a very highly trained covert killer is a bad idea both in peacetime and wartime (the sniper will be out on missions only a small percentage of their time in the theater of operations).

Snipers do, however, require a different type of psyche to the average soldier – they must be comfortable being alone for long periods, be very self-reliant, and be comfortable with doing 'cold-blooded' kills – attributes that not every soldier will share.

5-The use of sniping as means of murder has been immortalised by a number of sensational U.S murders, including the Austin sniper incident of 1966, the John F. Kennedy assassination, and the Washington sniper serial murders of late 2002. However, these incidents usually do not involve the range or skill of military snipers.

Sniping has also been used by terrorists, for example in the Northern Ireland Troubles, where in the early seventies a number of soldiers were shot by concealed riflemen, some at considerable range. There were also a few instances in the early '90s of British soldiers being shot with .50 calibre Barrett rifles.

6-Some doctrines distinguish a "sniper" from a "sharpshooter" or "designated marksman". While snipers are intensively trained to master field craft and camouflage, these skills are not required for sharpshooters. Snipers often perform valuable reconnaissance and have a psychological impact on the enemy. A sharpshooter's role is mainly to extend the reach of the squad to which he is attached.

These differences in role and training affect doctrines and equipment.

Snipers rely almost exclusively on stealthy bolt-action rifles while a sharpshooter can effectively utilize a faster-firing, but more conspicuous semi-automatic rifle. In some military doctrines, a two-man sniper team consists of a designated marksman who uses a bolt-action rifle, and a sniper support (usually the spotter) who uses a semiautomatic sniper rifle, or at times an assault rifle or carbine.

A sniper's intensive training, forward placement and surveillance duties make the role more strategic than a squad-level sharpshooter. Thus, sharpshooters are often attached at the squad level while snipers are often attached at higher levels such as battalion. 
   This is just an opp.    hope you all understand me, this is just my opp.

Edited by abegarza911
My Link        clone    
SawMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SawMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 5:11am
Very, very nice.
Tippmann A5 w/RT
18" Dye Boomstick
14" Commando F/X
M4 Stock
Weaver foregrip
Offset Tasco RD Scope
Remote w/20oz CO2
SR_Crewchief View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SR_Crewchief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 6:33am
The main problem that I see, is someone atributing a title to themself without knowing what it really means. Too add to the confusion, we can easily define 3 sub-types of sniper: military, law enforcement, terrorist. Each has either a different tactical environment, outcome objective, or both. That's why I start with defining the environment, which then defines which sub-type is the object of the discussion.

Instead of taking the hardnosed stance, like I used too, that paintball snipers don't exist, I endevor to demistrate that too actively try to apply the skills that destinquish a sniper from other players is not effective and why.

Hey Tyger, you didn't start the sniper debate (well maybe this round you did ). As I think you've see here and elsewere it's an old arguement and isn't going away. I applaude you for time and trouble you go through to produce your website and show to help educate people on the world of paintball.
Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 11:26am
SSDD.

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Shadowminion Shadowminion wrote:

The surprising thing , I am seeing is more  "new Players " willing to accept the differentiation , between a "Sniper " , and a "Sharpshooter" .

Actually, historically speaking, a 'sharpshooter' is something completely different. Back during the Civil War, Col. Hiram Berdan Decided to put together a regiment of crack shots to engage the confederates. The resulting unit became known as "Berdan's Sharpshooters." The term 'Sharpshooter' was born out of the type of rifle that they were issued. The .52 Christian Sharps Breechloading rifle. Essentially, the regiment "Shot Sharps Rifles" and it got squashed down to "Sharpshooters" Since the requirements to get into the unit involved:

"shooting ten rounds as rapidly as the shooter could reload into a target ten inches in diameter at a distance of two hundred yards. All ten rounds had to hit the target and the average distance could be no more than five inches from the center of the target."

They were the best shots in the Union Army. The term Sharpshooter worked rather well, and eventually was applied to anyone who was a decent shot.

Since SR_Crewchief effectively said everything that needed to be said, I figured I'd throw this little history lesson in for you fellows. Enjoy, and please keep it clean. You're doing a good job so far, keep it up.

evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 1:39pm

After reading this thread, I was thinking that this should be a "sticky" and it would give the new players (experienced or not) that are coming in each day something to read about and rethink on what they need to know when theyre playing the sport and the role that they are portraying.

Do not steal....the government hates competition!
Robert_Hawker View Drop Down
Strike 1, S-bomb 10-7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert_Hawker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 2:42pm
Heck yea sticky this thing and we can stop flaming all the "Snipers" out there!!!
Tipp A-5
Opsgear Saw Shroud
Opsgear G36 Folding Stock
16" j&j
Detz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 3:08pm
third that, sticky it
DETZ
A-5
20oz Pure Energy on/off
flatline
to come:
lapco bigshot
HPA - still not sure
Ph34r View Drop Down

If I were a rich man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ph34r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 4:03pm

The rule of thumb is to pm Reb and ask if you can sticky it.

SP Impulse:
SP Q-Lock
SP LPR
NDZ Mag Trig
NDZ Equalizer Bolt
Dye Stickies
Phat On/Off
3 Hammerheads

[FI] View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote [FI] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 4:14pm

Originally posted by MROD MROD wrote:

Props to you for serving in the Army. For 20+ years too. W00t Eh, it's difficault to give an intelligible response to an unintelligible statment. Forgive me.

I for one think snipers can be a very important factor in the game. Don't believe everything you think. w00t

As long as everyone on the team doesn't decide they want to be one. So who get's to be one and who don't? w00t

With my friends I usually play with only a 4-6 man team. We always choose one person to be the sniper. I love being the sniper mostly because it gives me more time to thin kabout stuff because I don't really have to run around alot. Yes, because you can cover a whopping radius of 30m on a 10 acre field when you "move slowly" and methodically. w00t

About the moving undetected part my friends and I recently came up with an effective way. I thought it might be cool to try this because one time when I plane was flying over I snuck right up on someone who was trying to flank my team by crawling around. I had all the noise cover from the plane I needed so I jus ran up took aim for alost a second in the copmplete open and shot one shot which hit him in the shoulder. w00t to you using 20-year old tactics

To take advantage of this I bought a few reall really cheap  way radios and to disstract ppl I throw it to to the other side of them where there is no rocks to break the radio and have my friends make some of noise into it so hes distracted. I can easily come up and shoot him without hm noticing or even if he does notice he thinks hes getting flanked so he panics. That means your friends have to make noise, they are focused on giving you elimination, etc...I don't believe you. w00t

My Flaltine really helps because I have alot of range so I can pick off kids from on top of a liff who think they are safely out of range. Yes, because we all know the Flatline has precision accuracy from 50m away...w00t

My favorite sniper points are usually on tp of rocky cliffs or the like so I have a great bray and brown with a little green camo suit. Also the most obvious place. Bad fieldcraft. Oh yeah...big towering cliffs, how dramatic. w00t

I think There you go again with that thinking...w00t

the sniper can be very useful because you can have 3-4 guys running around making the other team move whil your out of the action Exactly...out of the action...not really doing much...w00t

and just have to take aim at someone who thinks their safwe and noone is behind them. What happens if they suddenyl shift the battle and your plan is changed...what a waste of manpower and time...w00t

As long as the sniper ghas regualr combat skills as well then he wil lbe a good asset to the team. Becasue if the enemy finds out his position he will most likely have to evade and attack like a regular soldier. So as long as he gets it out of his head that he's only a sniper and cant run or do anything else he will be an effective asset to the team. How about break contact, sniper? w00t

Edited by [FI]
Don't believe everything you think

I can resist anything but temptation
Unicorn View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2004 at 4:21am
I hate the term sniper when applied to paintball. I don't even like it used by police, since they use different tactics and should be IMO called police marksmen, or sharpshooters. I've actually gone as far as posted (here I think) the actual Army definition of a sniper from an FM (field manual) on infantry tactics, and some "snipers" kept trying to argue that they fit those definitions in paintball. I suppose if you took a very, very loose interpretation of what a sniper is. Most of what people do when they call themselvs snipers is camping, or at best conducting a small point ambush. Hiding in the bushes and shooting at someone who walks past you. That is an ambush.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abegarza911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2004 at 8:45am

from experience i can say that ther is only 1 type of sniper and not 3 and that one is the one that the millitary trains, the one that learned the skills that the millitary teaches.

-Some doctrines distinguish a "sniper" from a "sharpshooter" or "designated marksman". While snipers are intensively trained to master field craft and camouflage, these skills are not required for sharpshooters. Snipers often perform valuable reconnaissance and have a psychological impact on the enemy. A sharpshooter's role is mainly to extend the reach of the squad to which he is attached.

These differences in role and training affect doctrines and equipment.

Snipers rely almost exclusively on stealthy bolt-action rifles while a sharpshooter can effectively utilize a faster-firing, but more conspicuous semi-automatic rifle. In some military doctrines, a two-man sniper team consists of a designated marksman who uses a bolt-action rifle, and a sniper support (usually the spotter) who uses a semiautomatic sniper rifle, or at times an assault rifle or carbine.

A sniper's intensive training, forward placement and surveillance duties make the role more strategic than a squad-level sharpshooter. Thus, sharpshooters are often attached at the squad level while snipers are often attached at higher levels such as battalion.

-Even before firearms were available, there have been soldiers, such as archers, specially trained as elite marksmen.

-Delta Force snipers Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart were both killed in action during the Battle of Mogadishu. It is estimated that together they sniped over 100 Somalis. Both men received the Congressional Medal of Honor, posthumously, for their actions
-The primary mission of a sniper in combat is to support combat operations by delivering precise long-range fire on selected targets. By this, the sniper creates casualties among enemy troops, slows enemy movement, frightens enemy soldiers, lowers morale, and adds confusion to their operations. The secondary mission of the sniper is collecting and reporting battlefield information.

a. A well-trained sniper, combined with the inherent accuracy of his rifle and ammunition, is a versatile supporting arm available to an infantry commander. The importance of the sniper cannot be measured simply by the number of casualties he inflicts upon the enemy. Realization of the sniper's presence instills fear in enemy troop elements and influences their decisions and actions. A sniper enhances a unit's firepower and augments the varied means for destruction and harassment of the enemy. Whether a sniper is organic or attached, he will provide that unit with extra supporting fire. The sniper's role is unique in that it is the sole means by which a unit can engage point targets at distances beyond the effective range of the M16 rifle. This role becomes more significant when the target is entrenched or positioned among civilians, or during riot control missions. The fires of automatic weapons in such operations can result in the wounding or killing of noncombatants.

b. Snipers are employed in all levels of conflict. This includes conventional offensive and defensive combat in which precision fire is delivered at long ranges. It also includes combat patrols, ambushes, countersniper operations, forward observation elements, military operations in urbanized terrain, and retrograde operations in which snipers are part of forces left in contact or as stay-behind forces.

-In light infantry divisions, the sniper element is composed of six battalion personnel organized into three 2-man teams. The commander designates missions and priorities of targets for the team and may attach or place the team under the operational control of a company or platoon. They may perform dual missions, depending on the need. In the mechanized infantry battalions, the sniper element is composed of two riflemen (one team) located in a rifle squad. In some specialized units, snipers may be organized according to the needs of the tactical situation.

a. Sniper teams should be centrally controlled by the commander or the sniper employment officer. The SEO is responsible for the command and control of snipers assigned to the unit. In light infantry units, the SEO will be the reconnaissance platoon leader or the platoon sergeant. In heavy or mechanized units, the SEO may be the company commander or the executive officer. The duties and responsibilities of the SEO are as follows
(1) To advise the unit commander on the employment of snipers.

(2) To issue orders to the team leader.

(3) To assign missions and types of employment.

(4) To coordinate between the sniper team and unit commander.

(5) To brief the unit commander and team leaders.

(6) To debrief the unit commander and team leaders.

(7) To train the teams.

b. Snipers work and train in 2-man teams. One sniper's primary duty is that of the sniper and team leader while the other sniper serves as the observer. The sniper team leader is responsible for the day-to-day activities of the sniper team. His responsibilities are as follows:

(1) To assume the responsibilities of the SEO that pertain to the team in the SEO's absence.

(2) To train the team.

(3) To issue necessary orders to the team.

(4) To prepare for missions.

(5) To control the team during missions.

c. The sniper's weapon is the sniper weapon system. The observer has the M16 rifle and an M203, which gives the team greater suppressive fire and protection. Night capability is enhanced by using night observation devices.

1-3. PERSONNEL SELECTION CRITERIA
Candidates for sniper training require careful screening. Commanders must screen the individual's records for potential aptitude as a sniper. The rigorous training program and the increased personal risk in combat require high motivation and the ability to learn a variety of skills. Aspiring snipers must have an excellent personal record.

a. The basic guidelines used to screen sniper candidates are as follows:

(1) Marksmanship. The sniper trainee must be an expert marksman. Repeated annual qualification as expert is necessary. Successful participation in the annual competition-in-arms program and an extensive hunting background also indicate good sniper potential.

(2) Physical condition. The sniper, often employed in extended operations with little sleep, food, or water, must be in outstanding physical condition. Good health means better reflexes, better muscular control, and greater stamina. The self-confidence and control that come from athletics, especially team sports, are definite assets to a sniper trainee.

(3) Vision. Eyesight is the sniper's prime tool. Therefore, a sniper must have 20/20 vision or vision correctable to 20/20. However, wearing glasses could become a liability if glasses are lost or damaged. Color blindness is also considered a liability to the sniper, due to his inability to detect concealed targets that blend in with the natural surroundings.

(4) Smoking. The sniper should not be a smoker or use smokeless tobacco. Smoke or an unsuppressed smoker's cough can betray the sniper's position. Even though a sniper may not smoke or use smokeless tobacco on a mission, his refrainment may cause nervousness and irritation, which lowers his efficiency.

(5) Mental condition. When commanders screen sniper candidates, they should look for traits that indicate the candidate has the right qualities to be a sniper. The commander must determine if the candidate will pull the trigger at the right time and place. Some traits to look for are reliability, initiative, loyalty, discipline, and emotional stability. A psychological evaluation of the candidate can aid the commander in the selection process.

(6) Intelligence. A sniper's duties require a wide variety of skills. He must learn the following:

Ballistics.
Ammunition types and capabilities.
Adjustment of optical devices.
Radio operation and procedures.
Observation and adjustment of mortar and artillery fire.
Land navigation skills.
Military intelligence collecting and reporting.
Identification of threat uniforms and equipment.
b. In sniper team operations involving prolonged independent employment, the sniper must be self-reliant, display good judgment and common sense. This requires two other important qualifications: emotional balance and field craft.

(1) Emotional balance. The sniper must be able to calmly and deliberately kill targets that may not pose an immediate threat to him. It is much easier to kill in self-defense or in the defense of others than it is to kill without apparent provocation. The sniper must not be susceptible to emotions such as anxiety or remorse. Candidates whose motivation toward sniper training rests mainly in the desire for prestige may not be capable of the cold rationality that the sniper's job requires.

(2) Field craft. The sniper must be familiar with and comfortable in a field environment. An extensive background in the outdoors and knowledge of natural occurrences in the outdoors will assist the sniper in many of his tasks. Individuals with such a background will often have great potential as a sniper.

c. Commander involvement in personnel selection is critical. To ensure his candidate's successful completion of sniper training and contribution of his talents to his unit's mission, the commander ensures that the sniper candidate meets the following prerequisites before attending the US Army Sniper School:

Male.
PFC to SFC (waiverable for MSG and above).
Active duty or ARNG and USAR.
Good performance record.
No history of alcohol or drug abuse.
A volunteer (with commander recommendation).
Vision of 20/20 or correctable to 20/20.
No record of disciplinary action.
Expert marksman with M16A1 or M16A2 rifle.
Minimum of one-year retrainability.
Career management field 11.
Pass APFT (70 percent, each event).
-Each member of the sniper team has specific responsibilities. Only through repeated practice can the team begin to function properly. Responsibilities of team members areas follows:

a. The sniper--

Builds a steady, comfortable position.
Locates and identifies the designated target.
Estimates the range to the target.
Dials in the proper elevation and windage to engage the target.
Notifies the observer of readiness to fire.
Takes aim at the designated target.
Controls breathing at natural respiratory pause.
Executes proper trigger control.
Follows through.
Makes an accurate and timely shot call.
Prepares to fire subsequent shots, if necessary.
b. The observer--

Properly positions himself.
Selects an appropriate target.
Assists in range estimation.
Calculates the effect of existing weather conditions on ballistics.
Reports sight adjustment data to the sniper.
Uses the M49 observation telescope for shot observation.
Critiques performance.
-team firing techniques.
A sniper team must be able to move and survive in a combat environment. The sniper team's mission is to deliver precision fire. This calls for a coordinated team effort. Together, the sniper and observer--

Determine the effects of weather on ballistics.
Calculate the range to the target.
Make necessary sight changes.
Observe bullet impact.
Critique performance before any subsequent shots.

My Link        clone    
bbratbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbratbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2004 at 9:51pm

me and my buddys when we play 3 on 3 in the woods.. we usually space out about 10 to 15 feet apart so we can still see each other .. and search for the other team.. since we are in the woods and stay in areas that one shot most likely wont hit us.. like brush for example.. usually we wont get hit if spotted.. when we find someone from another team.. two of our guys will take cover and keep the other team busy by shooting at them.. and while the other team doesnt notice i will drop back and go around the other team and get behind them without being detected.. sneak up on them and unleash as much paint as i can on them.. i'm a new player but its worked every game i've played in

*~Brian~*
evil_fingers View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Inappropriate sig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evil_fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2004 at 2:00pm
Oh great, this was a clean thread...till some jerk^  had to screw things up....good goin you jerk.

Edited by evil_fingers
Do not steal....the government hates competition!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abegarza911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2004 at 2:28pm
is just people that do not understand the term we are talking about
My Link        clone    
Sarge14 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2004 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by BearClaw BearClaw wrote:

Alright this was a well written post my only argument here is that the
above player can simply be called a good player not nessisarily a
sniper. 

I do now alot of players that play in a very similare fashion to what
you have said.  BUt they thems selfs dont call themselfs snipers
there just more advanced players on the team.

I play with a guy like that too, hes just too darn sneaky and qiuet.
Nothing is Stronger than the Heart of a Volunteer

Proud to be a Soldier in the United States Army!
Commo Leads the Way!!
MROD View Drop Down
Strike 2 vulgar material 2/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2004 at 3:17pm

Actually [FI] ruined it.

FI, I don't know what your problem is but your responce was hostile and immature.

I need to find smaller pictures for my profile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic