Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bigshot doesn’t fit....need help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jscool99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscool99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bigshot doesn’t fit....need help
    Posted: 15 October 2004 at 7:05pm
i had a problem like that, and i took apart the whole gun, and put it bak together with the barrel in the threads and it worked, i cant unscrew the barrel out of the gun, but i release the hopper elbow, and cok the gun, and i can fit my skweegy threw that, hope this helps
-jacob-
m98 sollid sniper stock
m98 custom rubber fore grip
14" custom products barrel
vl 2000 el hopper
vl hunters cammo slip cover
32 deg remote line
32 deg 4+1 pack
evan51887 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan51887 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2004 at 5:37pm

Originally posted by maroon out maroon out wrote:

If your serial # is 495,000 or below, you have the old threads. If it's 495,001 or above you have the new threads.

Thanks. Looks like I have the new threads :)

maroon out View Drop Down
Not "moron" - Geez!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maroon out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 8:45am
If your serial # is 495,000 or below, you have the old threads. If it's 495,001 or above you have the new threads.
Watch your thoughts they become words
Watch your words they become actions
Watch your actions they become habits
Watch your habits they become character
Watch your character it becomes your destin
evan51887 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan51887 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 8:20am
How can you tell if it's a new or 'old' Tippmann 98 Custom?
County View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Most Favored Nation Status

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote County Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2004 at 6:22am
What you did is OK. It just makes it very inconvenient to take your barrel off and squeegie, etc. The Lapco adapter would help keep you from having to do that.

BenjaminAZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenjaminAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 12:43pm

Well, I played with it 90% screwed in friday night, and for the most part it worked alright.  During the whole night, I don't recall any breaks, but I did have about 8 times where the ball failed to feed and all I shot was air (out of perhaps 600 rounds).  I don't see how that would have been the fault of the barrel failing to be screwed in all the way.  I also had one instance of the bolt being jammed back, and I had to fiddle with it for a few secs on the field to get it to shoot again.  Again, don't see how that would have been barrel related, but still.

I did end up shooting a few out in my yard last night before going to bed (with the barrel threaded entirely in and flush with the receiver internals), and it worked fine.  Ugh, just dreading taking it apart again...

Boydster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boydster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 12:18pm
If it screws in, go test it in your back yard. If it works good, you're set.
BenjaminAZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenjaminAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2004 at 12:47am

So does anyone know if what mbmcewen did is alright?  I ask because I just discovered the same problem.  The serial number on my 98c is around 729000, and I just picked up a Bigshot.  I went to screw it on before playing last night, and it wouldn't go on more than 2/3 of the way.  I ended up loosening the bolts on the front of the receiver, which allowed me to screw it in right up to where the O ring was *just* in front of the barrel port on the receiver.  I played with it that way, and didn't really encounter much trouble.

This evening, when I finally got around to cleaning the marker, I decided to investigate.  I removed the Bigshot and compared the threads, and they looked nearly identical to me.  However, one thing that I did notice once the receiver was apart was that apparently I only had the barrel screwed in about 90% of the way, assuming the opening of the barrel was supposed to be flush with the inner most edge of the receiver threads.  Apparently there was a bit of a gap internally while I was playing with it last night.

I was able to place the barrel in the correct position (at least I believe it is the correct position) with the barrel opening totally flush inside the gun.  However, it was a REAL pain to get the receiver halves back together.  I finally did it, and it the fit is really tight, but it's on.  This way, the barrel O ring is actually just barely on the inside of the receiver (which is how it should be, correct, to form a tight seal?).

I want to take it out in the back yard and test fire a dozen or so balls, but I'm afraid to do it because I don't want to have to disassemble it again to clean it after going through all that to put it back together. :(

mbmcewen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbmcewen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 12:44pm

Okay, I did some searching and found something. I loosened up the front 3 bolts and then screwed the barrel in.  It was tight but it fits.  It was basically like putting on a flatline adapter.  Is this going to be okay? 

Thanks for the info Ziggy

ziggymarley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ziggymarley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 12:39pm
You have a new model m98 and a old threaded bigshot...here's an adapter by Lapco from Countypaintball that will make it fit....or sell it and buy a new bigshot LINK
"Real markers have gills."
"son of a <KRL>."
mbmcewen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbmcewen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2004 at 11:54am

I recently bought a used 98c and just got a bigshot off ebay.  The threads are different.  When did the threads change on the 98c?  My serial #658903.  Is this considered an "old" 98 or "new"  Also, if is the old thread type, what can I do, are the thread adapters good or junk?

Also, the barrel says "Tippmann - 98" on it if that helps

Also, the stock barrel has 2 1/2 turns while the bigshot has about 2 1/4 turns

Thanks

Edited by mbmcewen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic